Old 03-31-2012, 02:12 AM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Hmm, this does show the disadvantage of a foldable swim platform (which I always keep folded up.)

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
JD, As low as the rig sits to the water are you concerned that any seas, especially following seas will get under and cause a problem? Chuck
Hasn't been. But where we go it should not be a problem. I don't think it would be anymore of a problem than the Weaver with one whole pontoon much closer to the water.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #23

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
We used the Trick Davit System with the extensions on our trawler platform - a very easy install. As JD mentioned, pretty much everything comes in the package. Because of the wide slats on our swim platform, we did make one change to the mounting system.... we added a 1/4" stainless steel backing plate that ran the full depth of the platform.

We finally launched Delia Rosa a few days ago and and were able to test the launching and retrieving our dinghy with the motor..... the system works very well...
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #24

Just wondering what the clearance is from the prop to the water on the outboard, while underway does the stern drop enough to drag the it through the water at any speed?
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #25

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Footloose
Vessel Model: Mainship 2004 34Trawler
Trick Dinghy Davits 34T

We read this thread and are very interested about your experience with the trick system. We also have a 2004 34T Mainship and are wondering if there are any drawbacks or regrets about the davits , 1.Can you still walk on the platform? 2. Does the mounting backing plate put too much load on the fiberglass?3. Does the dinghy tie down for rough weather?.I saw Hurley and the Kingston 350 system but the Trick davits look pretty good.We have a Merc 10ft hard bottom rib/9.8 4stroke and are trying to do our homework to get the right davit.Is it holding up- any rust? Thanks, Larry
bluewater1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #26

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
We are very happy with our Trick Dinghy Davits. Our teak swim platform is quite narrow, so when the dinghy is loaded, you really only have room to adjust the tie down straps, which work very well. When travelling any distance, we do load the dinghy on our upper deck, but it would be equally safe if we left it on the swim platform with the tie downs.... so no regrets at all!
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #27
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater1953 View Post
We read this thread and are very interested about your experience with the trick system. We also have a 2004 34T Mainship and are wondering if there are any drawbacks or regrets about the davits , 1.Can you still walk on the platform? 2. Does the mounting backing plate put too much load on the fiberglass?3. Does the dinghy tie down for rough weather?.I saw Hurley and the Kingston 350 system but the Trick davits look pretty good.We have a Merc 10ft hard bottom rib/9.8 4stroke and are trying to do our homework to get the right davit.Is it holding up- any rust? Thanks, Larry
I have the Trick Davit system and as far as the system goes I can find no fault. It holds the dink high enough out of the water that the engine is not a problem if it does hit the water just tilt it up a bit.

My only complaint is that on the 34t Mainship the exhaust is under the water at the port aft. This sends up a bit of diesel film right onto the dink. Because it is mixed with water at the time it can make a mess. I have a cover for the dink but learned the hard way that I need to take the cover off before I leave the dock. I didn't and after a week of running the inside of the cover and the dink was black.

I may remove my Trick system, bite the bullet and get a system that lifts boat high out of the water and mounts on the swim platform. They pivot from the mounting base and lay the dink into the water. Some are hydraulic and some are electrical windlass. All are expensive, we are back to spending $5-6k but I can't have a dirty dink.

Boat Davits | Lester Power Davits|

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #28
FF
Guru

Just a reminder Marinas , seasonal or overnight usually bill by the LOA of the boat.

The existing Length overall ,some will measure,

so a stern dink will add perhaps $20 -$25 to any overnight stay, or perhaps a grand to the seasons dock fees.

Caviat Emptur!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Just a reminder Marinas , seasonal or overnight usually bill by the LOA of the boat.

so a stern dink will add perhaps $20 -$25 to any overnight stay, or perhaps a grand to the seasons dock fees.

Caviat Emptur!
Really?!?!?!? That sounds a little nuts to me. Do they come out and measure your boat? I mean, when we get to a marina, we will just walk to the dockmaster's office and he will ask us how long our boat is (or more often they know ahead of time) and just charge us for that. It's never questioned and I don't lie to them. I have to admit that the first time someone comes out and "measures" or says that my dinghy adds another foot or two to the price is probably the last time we visit that marina.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it's about trust and compromise. I will give you an accurate length of my boat and pay a fair price for dockage, and you (the marina) not try an milk an extra few buck off of us by charging for every inch of airspace we occupy. Sure, there *IS* some gray area there, but that's where we compromise.

Tom-
Old 01-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #30
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Caviat Emptur!
Some also round up to the next 5' interval, or add a few feet *just because*, because I was told "your stern/bow isn't flush with the dock"
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #31
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Gonzo,
No offense but I don't think they're trying to "milk" you for money. They are, however trying to charge you for all the services rendered ....... That is moorage measured in feet. Why should you get testy about paying an honest price for the actual moorage measured in feet?
I repeat ... No offense.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If you are in a slip...the extra charge is pure bull...you pay for the slip size....especially if electric is separate.

On a face dock I can see it, especially when you are traveling during a peak season...but I have been in different marina's now every night for 3 weeks and they not only do NOT charge for overhang stuff...they generally don't argue about if I say the boat is one size or another even though it has Albin 40 on the side. (I too usually round up to 40 or more when the dock price is fair...but the marinas billing top dollar that have their water turned off, showers winterized, wifi disabled and still trying to get more than $2 bucks a foot when the whole harbor has dropped to $1.50 or less is getting my 39 feet and small change remark)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yes as far as slips go one should pay for the slip. Having nothing to do w the length of the boat but also I think there should be NO overhangs in either direction in a public facility. With private it's their call.

Most marinas allow a specific overhang and it should be adhered to. One should'nt need to dodge 15 anchors and their bow pulpits on the way to one's boat. And when your'e maneuvering in the fairway there shouldn't be boats, dinks or hiked up OBs w SS props stick'in out in your path.

I think if you've got a 40' slip you should pay for the whole slip and not take up ANY more space at all.

It's like parking those big bed 4 dr pick up trucks in a regular parking spot right up close to the front door of whatever. They just don't fit in a regular parking spot. One should AT LEAST have the courtesy to park in the furthest corner of the parking lot.

People in our culture are just grabbing all they can get for themselves w no consideration for others. On this one (as you can see) I'm a grumpy old man.

Gonzo what are the grey areas? I don't think ther'e should be.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
When we stopped in Westport, WA they charged us by our documented length, 43 feet.

At a few locations in Southern CA, they measured the vessel or they charged by slip length, which ever was greater. If you are 40' in a 50' slip, you are charged for 50'. If you are 40' in a 38 foot slip they charged you for a 40' slip.

Most places we have been take your word for it though.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #35
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Hmm, this does show the disadvantage of a foldable swim platform (which I always keep folded up.)

Hey Mark the next time she is out of the water. Could you take a pic of how the swim step is mounted. especially at the attachment point. It is a sweet set up I would like to do something similar on my boat.
Thanks

sd
Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #36

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
After a lot of looking and research we have decided to go with the Trick system also. I spoke with Jim today and he could not be nicer. He had thoughtful answers to all my questions.

Also looked at the St. Croix tip up davit. My concern with that one was that it seemed to me that it should have some cross bracing. Could be wrong on that. Defender has one on clearence now for $375.00!

Will let everyone know how it works out.

Rob
Old 04-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #37

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: OPTIMYSTIQUE
Vessel Model: Mariner 40
I have read this thread as well as others and I am trying to decide which way I want to go for our 40' Sedan bridge trawler. I like the idea of the Trick and Hurley davits, but am getting a little concerned about lifting my 10', 105 lb dink with the 135 lb 15hp Yamaha. Does anyone with this type of davit have a dinghy set up as heavy as mine and, if so, how difficult is it to lift?
Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:23 AM   #38

We have a 11.5 ft rib with a 25hp Mercury. total weight is around 360lbs. We reenforced our teak swim step and installed a Sea Wise manual davit system. If I remember correctly the weight limit is about 400lb. Have had it on for four years and so far not a problem. They are kinda pricey but I believe the quality is there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	245.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	38936  
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #39

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
Rather than start a new thread about davits, I found one that may work. What I want:

-Transom mount as not to interfere with the aft deck
-Nothing mounted on the swim platform
-I have a Mercury 9 1/2 foot hard bottom dink
-Would like to leave the motor and gas on the dink hooked up
-We plan to cover it up when not in use
-Boat is an Albin 36'

I'm looking at davit systems. Kingston makes the D-352 which mounts on the transom. It seems to tick off all of the check boxes I want. Does anyone have experience with this and possible pictures? This system holds 350lbs which is just fine.

Any thoughts?

mike habersack