towing a panga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PerryH

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Old Spice
Vessel Make
1982 Monk
Hey all,

I've read the many threads on towing a skiff. Once we find the right trawler and make our purchase that is my plan for our family of 6. Having a skiff to run around and play, fish, swim, explore is a marvelous plan.

My goal for this thread is not to debate that concept. Instead it's about which skiff is your favorite. I know lots of folks out there are partial to whalers.

What do you think about pangas? I think I'm in love. Any body have experience running one?

If your unfamiliar. Here is a quick write up.

About the Panga : Panga USA

I am a huge fan of the concept as well as the lines. I would venture to guess that the Trawler enthusiast community would feel the same way.

Fuel efficiency
Small motors
high bow

Sound familiar???

I have 2 aquaintences that have them that live nearby.

Like most unusual boats, the owner's pride may overspeak the actual plusses and minuses of the boat.

They do what they say, but then again not hugely different than other designs with plusses snd minuses that may be even better for a certain use.

Towing one should be no better or worse than a lot of designs....best to get a custom towing eye for it.

I am still torn but lean towards a full or partial cover to shed rain and spray. With good batteries, pumps can keep up all day....but usually even better if you avoid a lot of water to begin with. Aboat full of water becomes a dangerous tow if it flips or sinks.

"Like most unusual boats, the owner's pride may over speak the actual plusses and minuses of the boat."

Yes! So true! haha

"A boat full of water becomes a dangerous tow if it flips or sinks."

Wisdom

The original Panga's have their place, like when exiting and landing through surf zones on a beach:

Dories have been beach launched for centuries....a few of boats have jack of all trades charachteristics

I like pangas, my choice for a tow behind skiff will be a Carolina skiff. I picture that flat bow coming in handy on a singke engine boat... :eek::D:D:D

Most don't have that high bow and swoopy sheerline. Personally don't think it would be a pluss either. Plenty of Pangas out there that probably are a better design.

You may have problems towing because of the high aspect ratio .. long and narrow. I would think w the CG aft it would tow better. Make it less likely to punch it's bow into a wave and bow-steer the wrong way. Just a guess. And I don't think I've come accross one towing a high aspect ratio boat on TF. May be interesting what turns up on the thread. Could be an interesting thread.

The only boats that tow poorly are ones with deep forefoots, some cats and any bow heavy boat.

Any boat can be made to tow well by immersing some of the engine and moving some weight aft.

If that still doesnt work, a drogue could be used, but at that point...and I havent had that in well over a thousand tows ....time to tow another boat.

I think it will tow fine. Biggest thing I have found about ease of towing is weight vs sqft of bottom. Heavy boats tow like crap. Light boats tow easy. A hallmark of (most) Pangas is being light for their size. Americanized ones with too much crap and too big of engines could change that.

Whether it pulls straight, who knows. Usually if that is an issue, putting motor down can help.

I like the looks of that boat but the question that came to mind is: Why reinvent the wheel?

There are already plenty of boats out there that make great tagalong dinghies. I have a 13' Whaler and it tows like a dream. Is it the perfect boat? Probably not for everyone, but it looks like it would be a more comfortable boat to be in than the Panga.

If the decision is to tow a larger boat than a 13 footer.....

Whalers have their place in history...but only a place and not the headlines.

Way overpriced these days for what they are.

Lots of reasonable alternatives when you get to 14 feet and up.

an Amesbury Dory has many of the same qualities as the Panga, but with a little more traditional look to it.

Stur-dee Boat Co in Rhode Island makes a very fine one. Stur-dee Boat - Amesbury Dory

Its light, stable, fast and seaworthy.

(<----- check out my avatar )

I'll definately check out the Dory.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just trying to find the best wheel for me.

I for sure want a traditional panga not an americanized one. Bare bones. No frills. Tiller motor.

Looking for something I can take my wife and kids out adventuring on. Fishing, exploring, snorkeling, shooting fish, finding surf spots etc. So to me the panga seems to fit the bill. You just dont see many of them out on the water. At least I don't around the NC/ SC waters.

They are certainly unique. Just curious if anybody else out there shares the stoke for them like I do or is open to the idea at least.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep em coming. Grateful for your perspectives.

Perry,

Head on down to baja this winter for a visit if you want some panga experience.
We got lots of what you are interested in, usually with 90hp Yamahas.
Tough boats, gonna be a load to tow!
I spend the winters down there, pangas are the boat to have on the gulf and Bahia de Conception!
The ones on the Pacific side have higher gunnels to deal with the bigger chop and surf, probably overkill for your purposes.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/12066-albums628-picture3833.html

Last edited:
Yes I am very familiar with the Imemsa Panga. I have just finished 'Americanizing' a 25 footer. I have never towed it but have fished it some and been out in some interesting conditions, which it handles fairly well.

If you have specific questions as to cost, speed etc, ask away. I am powered with a 115 Hp Suzuki and a 25 HP kicker.

I'll definately check out the Dory.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just trying to find the best wheel for me.

I for sure want a traditional panga not an americanized one. Bare bones. No frills. Tiller motor.

Looking for something I can take my wife and kids out adventuring on. Fishing, exploring, snorkeling, shooting fish, finding surf spots etc. So to me the panga seems to fit the bill. You just dont see many of them out on the water. At least I don't around the NC/ SC waters.

They are certainly unique. Just curious if anybody else out there shares the stoke for them like I do or is open to the idea at least.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep em coming. Grateful for your perspectives.

I am a fan of Pangas also. I have hired local Pangas many times to punch through surf zones to get to grounded ships where conventional crew boats or commercial launches won't go. Also been on them on trips on the Amazon River as the modern replacement to the dugout canoe. Remarkably stable, reasonably dry and easily managed. Always wanted one but really don't have a real reason to get one. Really the most commonly found boat in 2nd and 3rd world areas

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom