Towing a dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do the following 'rules' for towing another vessel also apply to towing a dinghy?

The 30 to 60-ish degree angle formed by a "Y" is about the right angle for the bridle...and...the recommended minimum length for your tow rope 4 times the length of your vessel.

the bridle must be kept short enough so that it wont get into the prop if there is slack in the line and it sinks.

Do the following 'rules' for towing another vessel also apply to towing a dinghy?

The 30 to 60-ish degree angle formed by a "Y" is about the right angle for the bridle...and...the recommended minimum length for your tow rope 4 times the length of your vessel.

Actually none of those rules mean a thing...the angle of the bridle is somewhat dependent on the strength of the bridle.the steeper the angle the more the strain placed on it.

Tow length often is....the longer the better in open water towing...in close quarters...sometime the shorter the better...it really will depend on a lot of things.

When in doubt...find the most highly respected Sea Tow or Boat US captain in the area and ask away....

Thanks for the tips.

When in doubt...find the most highly respected Sea Tow or Boat US captain in the area and ask away....

That's why I asked here, because the closest one would be about 300 miles south as the crow flies.

We have a 9' Livingstone dinghy on the swim grid with weaver davits right now, but foresee getting something more seaworthy in the future that will allow exploring our coastlines more rugged nooks and crannies.

As it turns out, financial considerations will allow several years to ponder the question :cry:

Yep....... Floating line may have helped?

been there done that. My first comment was to use a poly line that floats then someone suggested a nylon bridle to act as a shock line with stretch. The nylon bridle is ok but it must be kept short enough so if the line goes slack it wont end in the prop which like you has happened to me. Now I always carry a good bit of poly just in case.

This is a good question and everyone if towing or not should have the gear on board to do so if necessary. I have towed many vessels over the years and was towed myself once.....don't tell anyone, by a bayliner even:eek:

Hi Guys, good thread. I have a 41' Trawler and tow a 12.5' Avon RIB with a 40' yamaha. I have had good luck towing from the port rear cleat. I get the Avon on the back of the first wave, which seems to be about 25'. As I get close to my destination I slow way down or neutral and pull in the line enough so I can loop it over the port cleat that is about 10 feet up the side of the big boat. This leaves the dink about 5' behind the big boat and can float up the port side if I need to maneuver. With this setup it is not possible for the rope to reach props or rudders. This assumes a stbd tie up or moring/anchor. I have been using a 5/8 nylon climbing rope that I had but it is really long and sinks. Going to get a 50' length of yellow Polly.

a boat builder friend of mine built a 40 foot fish cat to be towed buy a hundred and twenty foot mega yacht . they got caught up in some rough weather offshore. and had the cut the 4o footer loose it.was never seen.again.

Back
Top Bottom