Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Do the following 'rules' for towing another vessel also apply to towing a dinghy?

The 30 to 60-ish degree angle formed by a "Y" is about the right angle for the bridle...and...the recommended minimum length for your tow rope 4 times the length of your vessel.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Really depends on the size/weight of the dingy and what kind of coditions you expect while towing.

For much of the intracoastal you could tow just about any way you want to with just about any setup for most dingies under say 500 pounds and 12 feet.

Start towing several thousand pounds at speed in a significant chop, and now length of towline, shock absorption, chafe all become very important.

Bridles are good but not important until the size of the tow starts to affect the handling capabilities of the towboat...towing another nearly equal in size or larger vessel and they are very important...but usually not so much a dingy.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadosan View Post
So when you tow a dingy, how do you tie it off? Specifically, on the trawler end, do you secure from each corner so the line forms a "Y" down to a single line to the dingy? I've heard the term "bridle"...is the "Y" the bridle? Hope my question isn't too stupid.

I use the Y anchor bridle, since we do not anchor may as well use it for something. We several time pulled the 19 ft run about and with the bridle track behind the boat.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We watched Imagine (164') leave the anchorage this morning towing a run-about. They had 2 pad eyes on the runabout and what looked like double braid attached to about 100' main line that they let out once they cleared everything. Around here it's only the big guys and local sail boats who seem to be towing because of sea conditions. We don't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018b.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	17343  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #25
Sam

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
Yep....... Floating line may have helped?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3869[1].JPG
Views:	95
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	17399  
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Great idea! Floating cable. I use to tow my dingy but afraid with the reverse all the times.

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
Sam

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
What happened to me Sergio was that I NEVER tow my dingy. I forgot about the darn thing being pulled there and then I DID put it in reverse. I learned a few things:
1. A man CANNOT simply use a 3' rubber hose to breath with under water. It doesn't
work because of water pressure
2. It takes a LOT of time and effort to cut a wedged and stuck line out of prop.
3. The stuck line can kill the engine at the most inopportune time.
4. It is a bit spooky spending time cutting line out of a prop, under a boat, in a
river.
5. And lastly, I look darn rugged and tough with a knife in my mouth.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Sam, I also am afraid, because I'm cruising in a Latin countries that its easy to cut the rope and steal the dingy. So I am looking for a stainless steel cable to secure the dingy.
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #29
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
I have added a few shrimp pot floats on our tow line to help keep it out of the props. I like the inflatable because we just snug it up to the swim step when we are docking, tight enough to back up and not worry about fouling the line. I have since also shortened the line from 75 feet to about 50.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0325.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	17419  
Max Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemao View Post
Sam, I also am afraid, because I'm cruising in a Latin countries that its easy to cut the rope and steal the dingy. So I am looking for a stainless steel cable to secure the dingy.
Just avoid using it in the tow rig.

Here are some examples of a well set up rig, what was likely used by that mega yacht:

Rope Inc. Catalog Mighty Tow Yacht Tender Towing Rig

Tow Bridles : Tow Bridles

This is the direction I'll go in if we ever tow long distances. I have dealt with both companies on other gear and they are good folks.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #31
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Do the following 'rules' for towing another vessel also apply to towing a dinghy?

The 30 to 60-ish degree angle formed by a "Y" is about the right angle for the bridle...and...the recommended minimum length for your tow rope 4 times the length of your vessel.
the bridle must be kept short enough so that it wont get into the prop if there is slack in the line and it sinks.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post

Actually none of those rules mean a thing...the angle of the bridle is somewhat dependent on the strength of the bridle.the steeper the angle the more the strain placed on it.

Tow length often is....the longer the better in open water towing...in close quarters...sometime the shorter the better...it really will depend on a lot of things.

When in doubt...find the most highly respected Sea Tow or Boat US captain in the area and ask away....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #33
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
When in doubt...find the most highly respected Sea Tow or Boat US captain in the area and ask away....
That's why I asked here, because the closest one would be about 300 miles south as the crow flies.

We have a 9' Livingstone dinghy on the swim grid with weaver davits right now, but foresee getting something more seaworthy in the future that will allow exploring our coastlines more rugged nooks and crannies.

As it turns out, financial considerations will allow several years to ponder the question
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Yep....... Floating line may have helped?
been there done that. My first comment was to use a poly line that floats then someone suggested a nylon bridle to act as a shock line with stretch. The nylon bridle is ok but it must be kept short enough so if the line goes slack it wont end in the prop which like you has happened to me. Now I always carry a good bit of poly just in case.

This is a good question and everyone if towing or not should have the gear on board to do so if necessary. I have towed many vessels over the years and was towed myself once.....don't tell anyone, by a bayliner even
Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #35
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
don't tell anyone, by a bayliner even
Your going to start another war!!!! LOL
Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
Your going to start another war!!!! LOL
who me???.............naw never
Old 05-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Newburyport, MA
Vessel Name: Kairos
Vessel Model: Hunt Express 36
Hi Guys, good thread. I have a 41' Trawler and tow a 12.5' Avon RIB with a 40' yamaha. I have had good luck towing from the port rear cleat. I get the Avon on the back of the first wave, which seems to be about 25'. As I get close to my destination I slow way down or neutral and pull in the line enough so I can loop it over the port cleat that is about 10 feet up the side of the big boat. This leaves the dink about 5' behind the big boat and can float up the port side if I need to maneuver. With this setup it is not possible for the rope to reach props or rudders. This assumes a stbd tie up or moring/anchor. I have been using a 5/8 nylon climbing rope that I had but it is really long and sinks. Going to get a 50' length of yellow Polly.
DonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #38
Guru

a boat builder friend of mine built a 40 foot fish cat to be towed buy a hundred and twenty foot mega yacht . they got caught up in some rough weather offshore. and had the cut the 4o footer loose it.was never seen.again.

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote