Old 06-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #81
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Note to Self: Pulling a crab trap in white caps from a 9' Livingston sucks. Commence contributions toward Adequate Dinghy Replacement Fund immediately!
Murray, our 9' Livingston was great for calm waters, but our new 10' Livingston is a completely different animal, with 20" vs 10" freeboard.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #82
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Was down at Barkley Sound Oar & Paddle picking up a beautiful set of oars when I became entranced with a Hilmark dinghy sitting in their showroom.
A truly beautiful boat! I love it!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #83
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Murray, our 9' Livingston was great for calm waters, but our new 10' Livingston is a completely different animal, with 20" vs 10" freeboard.
That extra freeboard would have helped, especially when my buddy wouldn't listen to me and insisted on rowing transom first into the waves. Oh well, only his ass got wet
Old 10-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #84
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrane View Post

In my opinion, the real advantage of a RIB is the ability to leave unattended w/o any fendering whether tied up to your boat, a friend's boat, or the dinghy dock. Also, they have great carrying ability with lots of reserve buoyancy and stability.

The only reason I'd have a rigid dink would be if it could sail, too. The Walker Bay qualifies AND has an inflatable tube option that gives it the fendering ability of a true RIB. Never used one - just admired at boat shows.
Just wondering what owners of Walker Bay dinghy's have to say about their vessels...pro & con ?

http://www.walkerbay.com/dinghies-sa...atable-dinghy/
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dainisk View Post
I've had a Walker Bay 275H now for 3 years - still love it! Previously I've had a couple of Zodiac inflatables - but much prefer the hard bottom dink.
I bought the optional inflatable taubes, which give the dink incredible stability - you can't tip it. It will easily carry 4 adults in a 1+2+1 configuration. With 2 adults on baord, the infalatable tubes are just barely in the water when running level.
Just reading thru this thread, and wonder how did the inflatable collar attach to the boat?
Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #86
Guru

Takacat RIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
I have been in want of a Takacat for years. Watched several perform off Vancouver as a sales stunt. Awesome, there seem to be three of them that play up at the lake and I just stop and watch as they cruise by.

Outa my price range fro sure, plus I don't feel they would be willy proof . The old 12 foot Livingston performs much the same when over powered, in that it kites very well But the FRP is beach fixable and it holds a ton of stuff .

When I grow up maybe I can have one .
That quite a little performer. I seem to remember something like this design originally out of South Africa I believe,....for racing originally??

I think I know how to build a relatively inexpense model of such a craft?....and very light weight as well.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #87
Guru

Takacat videos

Some more videos of that Takacat

VIDEO - Takacat.com

....looks like it rows pretty good as well,....and I image you could make it sail as well....like a multihull
Old 10-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #88
Guru

Zap Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
That quite a little performer. I seem to remember something like this design originally out of South Africa I believe,....for racing originally??

I think I know how to build a relatively inexpense model of such a craft?....and very light weight as well.
Now I remember what it was called ....a Zap Cat
Images

Old 10-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #89
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Just wondering what owners of Walker Bay dinghy's have to say about their vessels...pro & con ?

Rigid Inflatable Dinghy : Walker Bay

Huh? I've been asleep... What's the question?

Oh... Didn't read the whole thread but...

We have a Walker Bay Genesis 310 FTD RIB, Hypalon version, approx. 3 years old. No problems.

We like the (removable) internal flooring, storage in the bow and in the seat, we added an extra seat (even more storage)... The hull form is semi-complicated; planes -- eventually -- with just 5-hp and me and the First Mutt, as long as I shift my weight forward a bit to get on step.

The wheels under the transom haven't been useful; the boat's too wide for rolling down our dock, anyway, since it's cluttered with dock-boxes.

Doesn't actually get used as much as I'd like, but it sure looks good

-Chris
Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #90
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Hmmm... sorry Brian, I hadn't checked your link... didn't realize you were talking about the hard boat with the collar... disregard my Genesis info.

FWIW, there's a thread on another forum beating up Walker Bay for lousy quality and lousy warranty service, etc. Don't think that applies to the RID you mentioned, though (but can't tell for sure).

-Chris