Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Well as you see Larryskydives, it's horses for courses.

We've got a 10' RIB with 15hp, because we have a bunch of kids that like to be towed fast around the bay,also have the davits for it, so works well for us. For others this would be the last thing they may want.

Don't worry, you will soon know know if you get the wrong dingy, that's why there is a classified section, it'll be good for someone.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #22
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Up North, the tide ranges make some of your choices for you, when the beach is 100 feet further down than it was when you "parked", carrying or waiting are your only choices. I had wheels that tipped down on the transom of my aluminum floored Avon, but it was still a heavy boat and they didn't roll over everything equally.

AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
Up North, the tide ranges make some of your choices for you, when the beach is 100 feet further down than it was when you "parked", carrying or waiting are your only choices. I had wheels that tipped down on the transom of my aluminum floored Avon, but it was still a heavy boat and they didn't roll over everything equally.
You can use a small anchor and cloths line the tender too shore. Keeping the tender in deep water, yet available from shore. Just an option for some.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
13' Whaler with a 35hp Johnson here- great for crabbing, fishing, and general putting around!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
We've got a 10' RIB with 15hp, because we have a bunch of kids that like to be towed fast around the bay,also have the davits for it, so works well for us.
Hard-bottom rib, I presume? I got a bunch o' kids too, and shopping. What brand?

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #26
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Yep, it;s a fibreglass bottom, the brand is called a Sirocco, out of China, good hull, hyperlon tubes, about half the price of an Avon, and quarter the quality.This is my second one, they seem to be good for about 5 years.

Mind you we leave it hanging off the back of the boat,uncovered and we have pretty high UV issues down here.I think it's chalk and cheese, handling wise between a RIB and an air bed inflatable, still you can't roll up a RIB and stow it like an air bed.I can just get her up on a plane with four adults on board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winch 005.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	18241  
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #27
FF
Guru

The classic Grumman Aluminum sailing dink is our choice.

Carries 5 , two can row at once , if required , and 65 lbs makes it a snap to handle.

Best of all the seats will trap large fenders rendering it unsinkable.

With survival suits the ability to self rescue even from 50 miles out is a consideration.

No fresh EPRB batteries required.

The dink stands up well to the crush of dozens if dinks and whalers in surge at a dock, and being drug up on a coarse landing spot.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
FF are you ever going to post a picture of this dink you crow about over and over? But Grumman dosn't make boats anymore do they? Or do "they" exist?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #29
FF
Guru

Or do "they" exist? Sure and have for 30-40 years.

Have no idea how to steal the photo , but the red dink in the thread is an example.

Antique/Vintage Grumman Dinghy - Value? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

AS they last and last fine examples can still be found with some looking.

Best is a well established YC with a dink rack . E bay or Craigs list.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
Guru

FF HaHa now I can share some of your passion for the Grumman dinghy.

My dink is also a semi-disp sailing dinghy but her bow is not as full as the Grumman. It's 10'. I'm slowly getting all the sailing features removed like filling in the center board trunk. This one w OB goes well over disp speed probably 7 or 8 knots w a 6hp Johnson at about half throttle. A very nice dry ride.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0880 copy.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	18618   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0879 copy.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	18619   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0878 copy.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	18620  

Old 04-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -
This is the Montgomery sailing dinghy that came with our boat. Well, the second shot is. The first shot is off the web but the same dinghy. Ours does not have a leeboard, it has a daggerboard.

Great, fun little boat to sail or row. Nearly worthless as a utility shoreboat which is why we added the Livingston on the stern.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Montgomery 7-11.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	18637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy 2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	18638  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 AM   #32

Walker Bay dinks

I've had a Walker Bay 275H now for 3 years - still love it! Previously I've had a couple of Zodiac inflatables - but much prefer the hard bottom dink.
I bought the optional inflatable taubes, which give the dink incredible stability - you can't tip it. It will easily carry 4 adults in a 1+2+1 configuration. With 2 adults on baord, the infalatable tubes are just barely in the water when running level.
I also bough the tube cover, which (hopefully) will shield the Hypalon tubes and make them last longer.
I use it with a 2h.p. Honda, which will push us (with 4 adults on board) guite happily. With just me on board (200lbs), the dink will normally get on plane.
The wooden oars I bought separately and are usually stored apart along the transom - I didn't like the Walker Bay supplied oars as they don't come apart in the right spots and are difficult to store when not in use.
The hard bottom allows the dink to be rowed very easily - try rowing an inflatable - impossible. Rowing also allows for a bit of excercise when at anchor for longer periods.
There is a sailing kit also available, but I didn't buy it so can't speak for how it sails.
When not in use, the dink lives on davits which are custome made. Then my wife made a Sunbrella cover which keeps the dink relatively clean when not in use.
I have had to do a couple of mods: 1) Because the dink has a little wheel at the stern end of the keel, the bung is not in the lowest part of the boat. This always resulted in some water in the bilge that would not drain out. I added another bung in the bottom of the keel. 2) I bought the stainless oar locks, but had to through-bolt them. Sometimes when rowing agressively, the oar locks worked themselves loose. 3) Lastly, I had to use larger lifting rings for the davits.
Adding some nav lights made the whole dink very workable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20100125 DSC_6575a.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	18784   Click image for larger version

Name:	20091227 DSC_5676.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	18785   Click image for larger version

Name:	20101121 DSC_2526.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	18786  
dainisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Intentionally avoided the added expense and complication of a sailing rig for my 8-foot Trinka. One of these days, I'll put it in the water and row her without needing government licensing, fees, and lettering.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #34
Guru

dainisk,I think that`s an Australian built Riviera 34 in your pics, and Walker Bay are sold in OZ. I`ve not seen a timbered look transom before. Are you in Australia, or USA? More info?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #35

Hi Bruce

Yes, it's a Riviera 34 - 1984 vintage. But about the only thing that's '84 is the hull - virtually everything has been upgraded/replaced. Repowered in 2008.
I'm in Perth. The transom is not timber, but just painted maroon - it's the way I got the boat in 1994. A bit worn now and needs repainting.
The boat is otherwise too small to put the dink over the cockpit cover (which many flybridge boats do over here). Getting in on the foredeck is getting harder to do as we get older - so davits seemed the best option. Had them custom made to my design by a local SS welder.
dainisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #36
FF
Guru

One of these days, I'll put it in the water and row her without needing government licensing, fees, and lettering.

A launch and recovery system that does not require 2 guys and a dock might be more fun than worring about gov agents checking your oars and float cushions.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #37
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
I am also giving a hard dinghy a try, getting a new to me Dyer Dhow 9'.

Hope to keep her on my swimplatform like my inflatable. Think I will try rowing her as my 5hp outboard is too big.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$(KGrHqQOKpkFF4L4t0M1BRfB44rbkg~~60_3.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	18787  
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #38
FF
Guru

4 peps or 560 lbs , hardly sounds like its built for USA use.

140 lbs per pep? not on aircraft or for the USCG.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #39
Guru

Mark,
What in the world do you have against "government licensing, fees, and lettering."? Seems a small inconvenience for greater capabilities.

Looks like you'd need to lift your boom high up to get the end under the center of the dink and then lower it way down to horizontal (approx) to get her far enough over the side to gracefully lower away. How does all that work out?

Re the last pic of Mark's boat .. one of the things I love about the Coot is how low she is .. and looks. Almost has a commercial look about her. Her CG can't possibly be anything but low. Look'in good Mark.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here's a 'stolen' pic of the Grumman sailing dinghy.

Mark, my dinghy registration isn't much more than $10 per year. $24 every two years seems to stand out in my mind. I'll try to remember to look it up next time I'm on board. But I understand...it's the principle of it, right?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote