Old 11-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Oregon
Sun dolphin tenders

Anyone have experience with the Sundolphin 9'-10' boats as a tender? Looking for something that would tow well, handle a 6-8hp outboard, and also tilt up on the swim step with Waver davits.

These boats are also known as Watertender (9 ft), Bass Hound 10, Quest10, Angler 102, and other names.

Thanks!
Timeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
You'll probably need some gunnel reinforcements if you're going to put it on Weavers, otherwise you'll end up with some serious sheer line on that one side.

I had to do that even with my all-fiberglass Livingston.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Northport
I am sure you will get more positive results that mine as we really did not like ours. We had the 9' water tender and found it heavy, tippy, and with a low freeboard kinda scary at times. It did OK with our 3.3 hp but I would not think it would do too well with more hp due to the low freeboard and tippy tendency. It was good for 2 adults but was pretty low in the water with 3 or 4 - it did 'bend' a bit when stored upright on the stern swimstep. We ended up mostly tying it on the step in its regular upright position with about 1/3rd ofr it hanging off the back.
We moved from that hard bottom to inflatables and did not look back but your needs and wants may be much different then ours were.
Just make a note of the weight, the ability to carry it, freeboard, the 'tender' nature , and how many POB's it can easily handle.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:53 AM   #4
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
I have owned several of the 7 footers, (Almost) including one now. I find this size handy as a one person simple rowing rig. Bit tippy and while there is a small outboard mount available, I'd be leery of using the setup. Too, the damn things spring leaks if not handled fondly. Drag them over much more than soft sand and they develop leaks which I have not found a perfect fix for. Define any market product for leaks. Even the off hand use of melted purex bottles over the crack fails.
I'd recommend seeking another suitable dingy for your needs.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thank you. I think I'll take another look at the aluminum hull inflatables and possibly the Bullfrog.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Guru

City: South Florida
I had a 9.2 watertender (you can see it tilted up on the swim platform in my avatar) for over 6 years. I thought it was a great tender. At 105 lbs there aren't too many tenders lighter. I dragged it over rocks many times, empty to lightly loaded, no problems. It would plane with a 5hp and 1 person, two people were great, more and you needed to be careful. Actually rowed pretty good, the hull shape actually provided very good capacity in 9ft. Didn't even know it was there towing it. Easy to tilt up on the platform @ 105 lb.
My kids learned to use it, I told them when they were strong enough to pull start the O/B they could take it within eyeball, never regretted it.

They are inexpensive, light, and I found provided a good tender for a couple if you understand their limitations.

Attached Thumbnails
Mainship '78.jpg  
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Guru

Found a few pictures. As you can see in the second picture faster than inflatables too

Attached Thumbnails
Picture 074.jpg   Picture 099.jpg   Picture 120.jpg  
Old 11-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments. I've been thinking about the Watertender with a 6hp Suzuki portable that I could remove when it's on the platform or in a place where it may be stolen.

Some owners say the bottom wears through quickly and leaks, others say no.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
Guru

The bottom wearing would depend on where the dink was dragged and with what kind of load aboard. I dragged it over rocks many times, empty on purpose, and there ware a few scratches, maybe a few pretty deep, but nothing that caused a leak in 6 years of regular use.

I guess it depends on how you plan to use your dink. If its always or mostly going to be boat to dock or boat to beach, I can't imagine a Watertender being a bad value or choice. If you're planning to drag it over sharp rocks on a regular basis, it may not be the right tender for you.

[QUOTE=Timeoff;612602
Some owners say the bottom wears through quickly and leaks, others say no.[/QUOTE]