Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #1

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Suggestions on Dinghy Electronics

I don’t understand why this has to be so difficult…

I am in the process of renovating the dinghy on our new-to-us boat, setting it up to be both a tender for the big boat, as well as a fishing platform in good conditions. In case you’re interested, I’m tracking the progress on my blog: https://mvcesc.wordpress.com/categor...ishing-dinghy/

One of the additions I’m making is a fishfinder with GPS plotting capabilities. This is on a dinghy, so I want it to be small (4 or 5 inches), and relatively cheap (sub $300). I will not be flush mounting.

Now, the hard part. I also want the ability to display AIS targets and DSC sources via NMEA 1080 data inputs. This is an almost impossible spec to search for.

I did find the Garmin Echomap 42Cv that has all the capabilities (https://buy.garmin.com/en-SG/digital/p/577144#specs ) but it requires a Bluechart SD ($75+) to work in our area. And what’s the difference between the 42Cv, the 43Cv, the 44Cv, and the 45Cv other than price?

This is just about the point where I threw up my hands and opened up the browser…
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
My own solution is to mount a second station on the dinghy, where I mount the small (5"?) humminbird plotter/sounder that I already own, that lives on the flybridge. The second station kit was only about $150. Includes the T-ducer, GPS antenna, deck mount and all wiring.
For AIS I have my cellphone, running Boatbeacon, a $10 app that is in real time. No, doesn't work without cell coverage, though my chances of getting away from cell coverage get less every year.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I have a Raymarine Dragonfly 4 mounted to my console, then I went with the iCom M400BB. I have a Walker Bay dink.

Raymarine: Dragonfly 4DV and 4DVS | Raymarine by FLIR

iCom: M400BB VHF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I flush mounted a raymarine a65. I got for $350 on a close out so I thought why not. I thought it was over kill but i’m Surprised at how handy it has become. I even run all my outboard data to it.

I know it’s not what you are looking for, i’m just suggesting you might use the display more than you would think so go for more not less.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: LI or Fla
I use my iphone in a waterproof case, nav software shows you depths and contours in addition bring up the browser for AIS if you want. I have the full suite on my sportfisherman, but the truth is knowing where you are relative to structure is what its about, not "finding" fish.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote