Stowing a kayak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
On our previous boat, a CHB 34, *we stowed our 14' kayak inboard along the deck on the *portside. It* fitted snugly*between the coach house and the rail.

The IG 36 deck walkway*is not as wide,*and I didn't want to damage the paintwork on the coach house by trying to make it fit. I have tried to*work out a practical alternative for stowing *as I miss having the kayak on board.

Just wondering if any fellow members have had a similar issue, and what solutions did you come up with.

My buddy's sailboat had swing out racks that bolted onto his stainless stanchios

My wife bought an Advanced Elements rigid inflatable kayak since we did not like manhandling her hard shell one up to the bridge, which seemed the only more or less practical place to stow it, and I really disliked having it "spoiling" the aesthetics of our IG with its hideous dayglo color.* She likes the inflatable and it handles surprisingly well. I like it because it will fit on the side deck and, being soft hulled, scratches are not a problem. For long runs, we deflate it, pack it away in its bag and stow it in the laz.

I did find some pics of an IG with racks and we almost went that route. But the Admiral is happy with the inflatable and so am I.

Attachments

• ig 32 with kayak.jpg
    ig 32 with kayak.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 201
  • ig 32 with kayak2.jpg
    ig 32 with kayak2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 253
Storing on the swim platform is by far the easiest...quick to launch, easy to pull up, etc. That is what we did with our 38 sedan 2 boats ago. On our Monk 36 we stored it up on the trunk deck atop the aft stateroom. It worked well for storage but was decidedly more of a pain to launch and carry up to store away again.....two person job. On our 45 it will be stored on our swim platform again which I am very happy about! Dinghy on the aft flybridge deck, kayak on the swim platform...now i just need to figure out where I am going to store the 10' snark sailboat. :)

img_5605_0_52f86ae1a483543da9121bcc2aea9c93.jpg

img_5605_1_3403cc2067f9320c5398ad67211f081a.jpg

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 19th of March 2012 06:51:27 AM

It's almost embarrassing to admit it, but I already have an aesthetically challenged boat that I've spent a lot of time with on photoshop to .....well, smooth-out a bit. Adding my Kayak to the mix doesn't help much, especially when it's some kind of weird color. I've got the space on the boat-deck for it, but until I decide on a swim platform design, that may be where it needs to stay. I don't mind the example Dave points out with the stanchion racks. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, but I do feel self-conscious about the appearance of my vessel, even if it is a bit odd to begin with.

Healhustler, I wouldn't worry about it...she is too far gone!!!....;) Seriously, Manatees are awesome boats that look "purposeful". I think dinghy/kayak stowage would just add to that look!!!

Back
Top Bottom