Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
RE: Small Whaler, Small inflatable, or RIB? Thoughts?

Quote:
FF wrote:
"A lot of serious cruisers prefer rugged light weight dinks like an aluminum skiff with a decent soft rubrail. hard to beat for weight, beachability, low maint., etc...etc

In many areas aluminum dinks are far less likely to be stolen."

Sure is hard to swim to the boat with groceries.
*I should have put that... "stolen" was in my etc..etc..

Aluminum has it's downsides, which for most is just they are not "yachtie" enough...but they are versitile and hard to beat their price.** Though I did get my 12 foot fiberglass boat for $100 and for another $400 or so for upgrades*it will be ideal for me. (less motor)

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I voted for the rib with the console because I really want one* But i have an 11" whaler and love it!* It would just be nice to not have to worry about fenders.

Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #23

Does anyone who has a 11' Whaler Sport have pictures of the wood work inside it? Or patterns for the wood? I'd like to replace the wood in my whaler (PO removed all the wood, so I have no patterns)
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:
Does anyone who has a 11' Whaler Sport have pictures of the wood work inside it? Or patterns for the wood? I'd like to replace the wood in my whaler (PO removed all the wood, so I have no patterns)
*I googled 11 foot whaler sport in "images" and got a few...clickingon some took me to the origin web site which had more pics.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

One of the primary qualities of a dinghy is light weight and I do'nt see any dinghies in consideration here that are light. Especially the Whaler. A 10 or 12' aluminum boat or a lightweight wood boat are all I see as a sensible dinghy option except on large and heavy boats. Heavy dinghies on a cabin top is just not smart in my opinion but I suppose heavy dinghies with their weight kept reasonably low as on the swim step or on davits like Carey's can be acceptable. But even then I would want a dinghy as light as possible. Many here consider me opinionated and biased (I am) but that's my opinion.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Eric:

Weight is one of the prime considerations, but not the only one. You have to look at what you get, in handling, storage, payload, for the extra weight and increased difficulty in bringing that dinghy with you. For your boat, weight will play a much greater role in the choices, as your only decent storage option is rooftop. If, as the OP has, your storage is on a broad transom, the weight of the dinghy is far less important, and the other factors become much more meaningful.

That said, were I starting over, with the same weight capacity as the OP, I would opt for an aluminum hull RIB with a console and an appropriately sized outboard, so as to achieve the following:
1 lightest weight
2 greatest durability, especially considering beaching in barnacle/oyster encrusted rocks (common in Desolation Sound and other destinations that I frequent). Here, as I have indicated in an earlier post, I consider a Hypalon Inflatable to be more durable than a Fibreglass hard dinghy, from 40 yrs of observation, including many examples of collapsed Livingston gunwhales (they collapse at the point of attachment of the Weaver snap davits), other FG hard dinghies, that have all of the same failings as my own RIB hull, which suffered at the point of attachment of the SeaWise used by the former owner, and all FG dinghies get the forefoot damaged by beaching on rock beaches. Aluminum hulls may require a paint touchup more frequently than FG, but structurally are going to last longer.
3 performance, especially traveling to and from the prawn trap in choppy water. Here a deep V hull is important, and many RIBs are too flat bottom for my liking.
4 cost, which may become the first consideration at some point, as in my own choice, so I ended up with a dinghy that is fairly heavy, but meets my other considerations.

None of these considerations is much ahead of the others, so the order may be re-adjusted to suit.

And I am with you on the last statement, as with every opinion posted here, anyone who posts an opinion is, by definition, opinionated, and entitled to his/hers, even when clearly alone.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #27
Guru

Thank you Keith,

I am more comfortable standing alone w my opinion than most and as you say my opinion is biased and slanted to my own world but frequently may bring to the fore thoughts that normally would'nt rise up to others in a very different world. However with any size boat it's hard to beat the aluminum skiff. Bigger boat ......just bigger aluminum skiff. If I had a much bigger boat I'd have my 16' Crestliner skiff as tender.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71302.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	9563   Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71359.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	9564  
Old 01-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #28
Guru

Aluminum skiffs for dinks are very scarce in my area. I think maybe the anchorages are too bouncy and they don't behave well in that environment.

I might be inclined to try one, but I can't carry anything over 10.5 ft in my davits and I don't like to tow.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #29

Same here... I don't think I've ever seen anyone using an aluminum dinghy as a tender in New England. I wonder if there is some logical reason for this? Maybe cold weather stresses the rivets? Or water is saltier and corrodes the aluminum faster? I've only seen aluminum dinghies used in fresh water around here, or (rarely) by commercial guys doing work in the harbor.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #30

Also - do the aluminum dinghies have positive bouyancy / built in flotation?
If my whaler or inflatable gets swamped by a wave, or capsized - it will still float.. not so sure if an aluminum dinghy would do the same if swamped? (I'm asking - its not rhetorical - I really don't know...)
Old 01-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #31
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:
Also - do the aluminum dinghies have positive bouyancy / built in flotation?
If my whaler or inflatable gets swamped by a wave, or capsized - it will still float.. not so sure if an aluminum dinghy would do the same if swamped? (I'm asking - its not rhetorical - I really don't know...)
Some aluminum skiffs do have foam floatation in the seats.

Bullfrog Boats have bouyant polyethylene tubes (not deflatable), with some foam inside as well, and an aluminum bottom. I have one, and love it. They are heavier than an inflatable, but have a much longer lifespan.

Mention was made of the heavy weight of some boats, but if you are towing, I see that as negligible, and even desireable, as they handle better when towed in rough seas.

There is my three cents worth.*
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #32
Guru

I do'nt recall any aluminum skiffs w/o flotation. Many here in Alaska are tied to the float half full of water w an outboard on the stern and STILL they float....low but they float. Actually I do'nt even like aluminum boats but they work so well. I was going to sell my skiff before we came south but I thought about it and decided there's lots of neat things we can do w that skiff. We'll put a hitch on the Toyota go way up into Canada. Would cost us a bunch w a heavy boat and a V8 tow vehicle. But as a dink most could be replaced w an aluminum skiff that weighed half as much and would carry much more. A 12' aluminum skiff weighs only 100lbs. It could be easily packed up a beach after the small 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke went up the beach first. Or you could drag it much further and easier than others ..even over rocks. They do'nt row well but I'll bet they row REALLY well compared to a RIB. Alum skiffs are can do boats. Just say'in

Eric
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #33

I think it is a law that production boats under 22' are equipped with a certain amt. of foam flotation.Even small riveted aluminum boats have foam flotation on the underside of their bench seats
haw33904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #34
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Ditto, or at least something very close to that.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Small Whaler, Small inflatable, or RIB? Thoughts?

Koliver wrote....

"Before I sold each of my old inflatables, at 16 yrs and at 5yrs, I cleaned them up (not for the very first time) to bright, new condition, by removing the oxidation that accumulates on the surface. I have only had Hypalon fabric, so I have no recommendation for Polyester."

Koliver, what did you use to clean off that oxidation and improve the looks of your hypalon inflatables, if I may ask..?
I also agree with you, some of the comments on here are a bit wide of the mark with respect to the longevity of inflatables, if made from good material like hypalon, however, their colour does fade, and I'd love to be able to improve the look of mine a bit. It was a sort of army yellow colour, but now looks sort of grey....
However, for the record guys, my present tender has faithfully served through four boats and over 28 yrs, being a UK designed but NZ built Tinker Tramp, sailing inflatable, and it is still going strong, other than the fact I have nicked the mast, (as we seldom sailed it), for the pole supporting my Airbreeze wind genny, and I have replaced the bow combing, and painted over the previously varnished marine ply seat, floor sections and transom. Oh, and repaired 3 slow punctures in that whole time.* It goes well with just a light, air-cooled Honda 2.5hp 4 stroke, alos rows quite well, and has never let us down.* It tracks well when towed as well.* I think it's the almost catamaran type hull effect from the way the pontoons are placed that gives it such good poise.

Sorry, mine's the one to right of picture.* Pity its not a bit closer.

-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 20th of January 2012 06:54:15 AM
Attached Images

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #36
Guru

Small Whaler, Small inflatable, or RIB? Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure*USCG requires*20 feet and under*for the positive floatation but many manufacturers do it to boats larger if they make it a selling point.* I've read but can't confirm ABYC requires it for 26 feet and under.

For those who think they are going to right a flipped over carolina skiff or boston whaler...good luck.* Often they float so level and have an air pocket underneath that righting them without a LOT of people, or parbuckle them with another boat.* The hardest 2 boats I've had to flip over after 10 tears of salvage work was a 14 carolina skiff and a 13 whaler.

Also my advice is be very careful of these smaller boats with more than 15hp 4stroke outboards with the outboard in the raised position. They want to roll over very easily and like I said, one that happens you could be in for a real rodeo.

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 20th of January 2012 06:52:17 AM

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 20th of January 2012 07:07:46 AM
Old 01-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #37
Guru

"what did you use to clean off that oxidation and improve the looks of your hypalon inflatables, if I may ask..?"

I know this was not asked of me, but my wife uses Flitz to clean both polyester and hypalon. It works awesome, cleans it right up pretty easily. It is expensive, but she gets it free from where she works (An internet*order comapny that sells Flitz, there are cans that get returned dmamged and no one else there wants them).
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #38

I'll take a can of damaged Flitz!! I can be in Mystic in an hour! :-D
Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #39

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY

2DASEA I would like to see a pic of your Carolina skiff as well, especially the rub rail and your lifting points. I too have a J12 with a center console and a 35 Johnson 2 stroke on it. She runs like a scalded cat. I have been kicking around the idea of using it as my dink as well. The Californian has an Achilles 12 foot rib with 8hp Mercury on it. I like the soft sides of the RHIB but hate that there is no interior room compared to the CS, even though they are the same width. A con of the CS is the Johnson is a thirsty little bugger and I can't keep my handoff the throttle. Maybe replacing the 35 with a 4 stroke 25? I do like the idea of an Aluminum V-Hull for the weight and durability. The V-hull is a major plus because the CS will pound in a chop and makes for a wet hard ride. Plus I bet the Aluminun V-hull would ride just fine with either the 8 Merc or maybe a 15? Rhibs are nice but as some have said your dink is the family car and you need room for stuff and also another platform to fish and dive that is stable and rugged. Dman just talked my self into a Aluminun skiff time to go boat shopping again.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: -

Something to keep in mind with an aluminum dinghy if it is bare aluminum and not painted...... If the dinghy is going to be carried on the stern in such a position that soot from the exhaust collects on it, this plus the salt water splashing onto the dinghy can lead to an acidic situation that could eat through or pinhole the aluminum. I've seen this happen once.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote