Old 07-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #1

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Tillicum
Vessel Model: Hershine
Small sailboat (like sunfish)

Hey all,

Do any of you bring a small sailboat like a sunfish or laser on your trawler? Not as a dinghy but as an extra along with the dinghy. I have been trying to figure out if I could strap one to the back by the dinghy or maybe tow the dinghy to make room for one.

Riding on grandpas trawler wishing I had my own.
kfish26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Kent,
We travel with our dinghy on the swim step! two hard shell kayaks on the aft cabin rack and two inflatable kayaks when we have guests. I guess it depends on the length of the sunfish and where you can tie it on without it interfering with safety and movement aboard.

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
Grand Vizier

Don't know if you like building stuff but I have seen these row and sail and they are stellar. as soon as I have time I'm going to replace my Whitehall dinghy with one of these.

port townsend watercraft - Bing
Old 07-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #4

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Tillicum
Vessel Model: Hershine
Delfin,

Actually I was really wanting to build one myself with my father! Those look really nice. I wonder how stable they are?

Riding on grandpas trawler wishing I had my own.
kfish26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish26 View Post
Delfin,

Actually I was really wanting to build one myself with my father! Those look really nice. I wonder how stable they are?
The company exhibits at the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend every year. They have races in the evening with a lot of boats sailing in and around the anchored vessels where we always are. I had admired the rowing capabilities and thought the videos were pretty cool, but two years ago I saw a PT Watercraft with the sailing rig and they were flying around the anchored boats in around 20 knots of wind with two people. It looked really stable to me.

The nesting feature might be helpful to you and the way they attach is solid and easy to manage in the water. The kits seem pretty foolproof and a fun project. The only improvement I would make is to use white Rhino liner on the inside bottom to keep the dogs from scratching it, and probably a bit on the exterior bottom as well so I wouldn't have to worry about dragging it up onto PNW rocky beaches.