Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Securing Items in Dinghy

There are a few Items I like to carry on the dinghy, nothing real valuable but I would like to keep out of eyesight while the dinghy is tied to a dock or beached for a few hours. stuff like handheld vhf, some basic tools, and so on it would all fit in a box probably 12"x8"x6", but how to secure the box? . What are you folks doing about this? I have a Livingston 9' cat style dinghy.I know a determined thief will take what he wants regardless, I'm looking for a deterrent.
Thanks for any ideas.
Steve W

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Guru

City: Georgia
Maybe a drybox that you lock itself, then lock it to the dingy with a security cable, like one might lock a bike to a rack or a laptop to a table. Then they'd have to walk off with the whole dingy. Keeps things dry, out of sight and secure.

Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
A security cable. You're probably already using one for the motor and to secure the dingy to the dock.

It's a shame when we have to expect the worst from people. People who would rather take somebody else's stuff than get a job and earn it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
There are a few Items I like to carry on the dinghy, nothing real valuable but I would like to keep out of eyesight while the dinghy is tied to a dock or beached for a few hours. stuff like handheld vhf, some basic tools, and so on it would all fit in a box probably 12"x8"x6", but how to secure the box? . What are you folks doing about this? I have a Livingston 9' cat style dinghy.I know a determined thief will take what he wants regardless, I'm looking for a deterrent.
Thanks for any ideas.
Steve W
In the bow, we have boarded off and have a canvas over the front seat where we keep the gas tank, vests, first aid, and tools. As the the VHF and Cell phone I take with me. I alway wear a multi tool on my belt which comes in handy for normal daily stuff and of course the cell phone. I feel naked with out both of them.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I alway wear a multi tool on my belt which comes in handy for normal daily stuff and of course the cell phone. I feel naked with out both of them.
I didn't need that visual today.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
+1000
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Guru

Steve, we're wrestling with the same issue. The problem with most dry boxes are the fact that they are made of plastic and easily broken apart. If you lock it down with a cable you will also need to be able to lock the box closed. That means it needs to be metal or heavy fiberglass. I have yet to find something suitable. But I haven't looked real hard yet. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We always use the plastic boxes. They come super cheap or somewhat better. We use them on all open boats and for really small Tupper Ware types should be fine and unlike the large boxes most of them are water tight. Rain hasn't entered the cheap boxes for us nor have we had a lid blow off. In Alaska we're not so concerned about thievery but we don't put our best stuff in the boxes. We use old binoculars and keep our camera in our pockets. It's the best way to keep things dry in an open boat. They don't damage the boat when it's rough and are quite tough themselves and one can remove and replace things fast. If one needs to positively keep things dry you can get "dry bags" where they sell canoes or kayaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 225 copy.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	13605   Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71359 copy.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	13606  
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I didn't need that visual today.
Gee guys!

I forgot to mention I also bolted a small wood box in the bow that can be locked. I find with the weight up front the Livingston rides level so I do not have to move/lean forward.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Guru

What about something heavier, like pelican cases that are used for photo equipment, etc. They come briefcase sized to trunk sized, just in case you need to move the body.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
"all fit in a box probably 12"x8"x6", but how to secure the box?"

I'm not familiar with the 9 ft Livingston, does it have a bench seat with open space below? If so, can you bolt-though a weatherproof box to the bottom of the bench seat? A pic of the dinghy might help.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
"all fit in a box probably 12"x8"x6", but how to secure the box?"

I'm not familiar with the 9 ft Livingston, does it have a bench seat with open space below? If so, can you bolt-though a weatherproof box to the bottom of the bench seat? A pic of the dinghy might help.

Here is the site. LV9 | Livingston Power Catamaran Skiff Boats | Livingston Boats

The front seat area I screwed a piece of plywood the width, the slates across the front, and a canvas over the top. I just screw bolted straight into the hull with SS fasteners. The Livingston is very stable as I can stand on the gunnels with out tipping to wash/wax the Eagle rather than turn it around.

#1 hard/fiberglass dink in the PNW.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Thanks!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Secure it so it doesn't move or secure it so it doesn't get stolen?
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I recommend a REALLY nasty looking old life jacket (you know... oil stains, duct tape, black/blue paint spots, a few rips etc) with slit cut into bottom and stuffing taken out of one side so your water proof plastic "safety box" slips inside. Place a couple snaps or a zipper or velcro at preserver bottom to fasten when box is inside. Then put preserver under seat - or such, maybe even you could tow it behind boat! No one will lift a useless, dirty, worthless$$ life preserver - even a brook-dick-dog druggie will leave it alone. That's called hiding equipment in plane sight!

Just kidding... sort of!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
If something like a SS cable run through the motor, storage box, PFDs and dingy and secured to the dock with a padlock isn't secure enough, you probably should just stay away from that area. You may not be safe either.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Guru

Our worry is losing the dinghy itself, kept chained up on the shoreline. To discourage thieves I cut a 4 inch hole in the side of the hull and fitted a plastic inspection plate. When we leave the dinghy I unscrew and take with me the plug. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Bruce, that's some great outside the box thinking! Do you have any pictures?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Thanks for any ideas.
Steve W
Steve, how do you like your Livingston 9'? Did you consider going larger?
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I do like the style of the Livingston and it performs well with my 6 HP Mercury. Mine did have several manufacturing flaws, in the seams of the seat hull joints which has allowed water to accumulate under the seats which should have been water tight. The hull/transom drains are of a poor design which do not work well at all.
Livingstone was purchased by a Company in the Carolinas about 3-4 years ago, the manufacturing moved from the west coast to the new plant, my boat was built at that time so I'll blame the problems on that. I don't know if the flaws have been corrected I hope so because they perform well, maybe a recent purchaser can chime in.
Steve W

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote