Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #41

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Livingston 10 ft

Here is a picture of my LV-10 with a Nissan 9.8 4 cycle. It is very stable with 2 aboard and planes at about 15 mph. It easily carries two adults, bicycles and groceries, or 4 adults. I don't have any issue with lack of free board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3234 A.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	13957  

adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
What I believe to be a good Way!

14’8" oal, 480 lb, full fiberglass Crestliner runabout. 220 lb 50 hp o/b. Holds four mid-sized adults with luggage, five without... and still cruises at 20 knots. Fixed trim tabs. 12 gal fuel (2 - 6ers). Hand held GPS at slack tide - 39 knots w/low fuel level and me as pilot only. Wife on board with me she cruises 27 knots at 21+/- inexpensive nmpg. Fairly large waves and wakes are no problem with correct piloting and speed adjustment. Very dry, no sun burn. Nice stowage under front deck, i.e. full safety equipment. Stowage under seats too. Night lights, portable spotlight, instruments on dash. Tows well at any speed. Easy to handle w/boat-hook in close quarters. Stows at home-base marina on trailer w/cover.

For docking Tolly I bring the tow line tied real short – bout 6’ from transom (runabout has a great-white air fender on her nose so bumping transom is no harm – not shown in picts). Tow line lengthened as applicable to accommodate Tollycraft speed and weather/wave conditions – up to 40’ long. Tight Y line with center loop for tow line hook up extends to both transom corner cleats for even tow line stress on Tolly transom.

Why I Tow: After having a dink ripped off stern davits in surprise seas off Boston harbor (around 1962) dad decided towing would be best method. From then on we always towed with size up to a 13’3” Boston Whaler w/40 hp Johnson. Even though we encountered some distressing sea conditions the tow always came through. Dad held opinion that if things got too bad regarding the tow we could always cut her loose and let her go! Having experienced some 15 years of consistently towing and all the different hitching methods available it became a way of boating for me. I’m very comfortable towing and feel I can handle situations as they arise.

It’s simply great to have a seaworthy, passenger accommodating, fast, shaded, and very safe launch such as this continually at our avail – every time we boat!

PS: Inflatable on front cabin top in avatar was when we first purchased the Tolly and has been gone for a quite while; soon as I found the Crestliner tow-behind described above and shown in picts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0434.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	13958   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1954.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	13959   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1955.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	13960   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0441.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	13961  

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #43
Scraping Paint

City: -
Forklift-- When we started looking for a more stable utility shoreboat to supplement the little sailing dinghy that came with our GB we quickly determined that a fabric boat is a poor value for the money if for no other reason than its finite life. Of the hardshell dinghies that were available at the time (1998) in a size that fit our boat the Livingston was the hands down winner. For two adults and the dog its lack of freeboard is not a big issue but it does limit the conditions in which you can use it.

The 10' model has somewhat better freeboard but it's not significantly greater than the 9' model. It does weigh a good bit more in the reinforced-side configuration which is why the dealer recommended against it for our particular application.

Were we in the market today for a new dinghy there is only one make and model that we would consider and that is the 10' Bullfrog. All the buoyancy of an inflatable, the interior space of a hardshell, the ride and speed of an RIB, and the longevity and resistance to damage of a Livingston.

Carey of this forum has one on his 36' lobsterboat and I've ridden in it on numerous occasions. In rough water at speed or just ghosting along in calm water it's terrific. For us and what we want out of a dinghy/shoreboat it's head and shoulders above everything else on the market unless one has the room for or is willing to tow something like a 14' or larger Boston Whaler or similar craft.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #44
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Art's "dink" has got my vote just because it's BY FAR the best looking .. a handsome runabout indeed. Where do you stow your dinghy Art?

But the question re the OP is how to stow things IN the dinghy. To that end a regular hard hulled dinghy is king as it dosn't waste half the volume of the boat w inflatable tubes w nothing but air in them. With the Livingston it wastes a large portion of it's volume w the tunnel right down the center. I'd call them a tunnel hull .. not a catamaran. Should have just left the tunnel out. Think of what it would carry then. So to store things in a dinghy the first thing I would do is get a dinghy that actually has a lot of USABLE space inside. For space the Livingston still is a very good choice and a good all around dinghy.

Marin,
The Frog dosn't seem better than the Livingston to me.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #45
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin,
The Frog dosn't seem better than the Livingston to me.
The Bullfrog has far better floatation-- no lack of freeboard when fully loaded which to me is the greatest deficiency of the Livingston--- has a much better and drier ride at speed, and has superior performance in rougher water.

The Livingston wins out in simplicity, weight, and static stability (boarding, loading, disembarking, etc.).

Photos are of Carey's 10' Bullfrog. He knows the owner of the company so arranged to have some clever additions to his boat.

Name:	image-365806548.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	13982

Name:	image-974811158.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	13983
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #46
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Art's "dink" has got my vote just because it's BY FAR the best looking .. a handsome runabout indeed. Where do you stow your dinghy Art?
TY for compliment on our "dink" Eric. In water when we're out-and-about on Tolly. Trailor cover at our marina.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #47
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Great Laker,
I see you have some sort of bracket to hold your oars in place, can you post a picture of it pls.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #48

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Oar holders

Steve,

I found these oar holders at West Marine. They come two to a box and each has a single bolt that holds it to the side wall. You can see that they are adjustable to whatever size oar you might have. I used two for each oar.

I'm quite happy with them as I don't have to think about where to store the oars, or whether I have remembered to load them in the dinghy before departing.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3404 A.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	14050  
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #49
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Larry, thanks, those look great. I'l give them a try.
Steve
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #50
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
As most here know I run the 12 T livingston. I have had this boat for over ten years now. Its a tough, reliable, utility boat.

This livingston replaced the 10 foot I had with the other vessels we lived on. I use them as my daily driver on the river and for our cruising adventures.

The 10 footer had a 15 hp on the back. I used to pull it off and swing the little boat up on the stern using weaver davits. But that was tough on the sides of the little boat. So I came up with a bridge kinda set up down the the inside of the hull close to the gunnel. A plank off set from the side by 2 inches supported three times down the side. I use fir and replace when it gets old using all the original fastenings. Like the cleats , rod holders, down rig holders etc. This also allows me to tie anything I want to the inside of the boat. Like fuel cells, ladder, shovel, axe, chain saw, fire pump what ever I want to carry.

The 12 T with the 35 on the back is at max wieght for my use. I can lift the stern to place it on the beach with the bow to the water. Keeps a dry boat yet can be slid to the water.

I tow the boat not yet having the ability to load it onto the oldfishboat. Have no real need at this point. It tows well and will self bail when it fully loads with water. But it has to be loaded correctly for that to happen.

I like its ability to keep all riders and stuff inside the boat. No one or no items riding on tubes. The little utility boat holds a ton of stuff. Well not realy its capacity is 900 lb.

With the old 35 it cruises comfortably at 15 to 20 knots with a max at around 23 but will kite if running lite wide open. I have three of the two stroke motors two 35 hp and one 30 HP. I keep one on the boat and one in reserve using parts from all three. I like being able to do my own work on the motors. They bin cheap and very reliable.

The pics show the rail inside with cleats etc. The boat tied alongside with a dead head under it, and on the beach etc.

Just sharing my livingston ideas and how I manage the loads etc.

But I would love to still have the runabout. As a live aboard that ends with two more motors I just did not want to maintain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	14065   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 jan 033.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	14066   Click image for larger version

Name:	spring 2012 013.jpg
Views:	78