Rowing Tender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haetwen

Vessel Name
Nabi
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 41
I am searching for a good tender to replace a 10' rigid inflatable (AB aluminum hull RIB). I love to row, and the RIB rows like a brick. I am looking for an old-fashioned rowing dinghy. It could be either wooden construction, cold-molded or fiberglass. The tender should be about 10' length overall, with 7' oars. It will be carried on a stern davit on our American Tug 34 during the cruising season. I have a Torqeedo electric motor for propulsion if necessary, although I prefer rowing. We are based in Sidney, British Columbia and the dinghy will be used in the Pacific Northwest during the summer cruising season. I would appreciate recommendations from anyone who can share their experience with a rowing tender, as well as where to look to buy one.

Peter Smith
Touche'
Sidney BC

Hi Peter,

I own a Heritage Little River 12' classic rowing skiff as seen here:
Heritage 12 Classic Yacht Tender | Little River Marine - Rowing, Rowing Shells, Row Boat, Rowboats, Rowing Boats
It is a very stable boat when rowing and I love using it. I also have a Torqeedo motor and thought that I would love to keep this on my boat as our dinghy. It was an epic fail! :facepalm: Once the 9' oars and outriggers are retracted and there are two people in the boat along with the torque of the Torqeedo it felt incredibly unstable. This is one boat I would not recommend for this usage. Sorry I can't point you in the right direction, but I can save you from buying one of these for this purpose.

Good Luck,

Todd

Looks beautiful though, reminds me of a Whitehall. Do I understand you correctly that you would recommend the boat as a row boat, just not as a powerboat?
Best,
Maldwin

I’ve wanted a Trinka for years. They have a great reputation for rowing and sailing. Beautifully finished. They are available in 8, 10, and 12’. For rowing you’ll want a 10 or 12.

Attachments

• 8367ACB5-475D-4AE0-8764-FBF4152DD0AD.jpeg
    8367ACB5-475D-4AE0-8764-FBF4152DD0AD.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 164
The Trinka is a good suggestion. I went with a "gently used" dinghy. Actually, it was very used but being fiberglass only required some epoxy, paint, and new fasteners and she is almost as good as new.

This one appears to be a 15 year old Jarvis Newman dinghy. She rows and tows like a champ. I estimate she is 150 pounds.

Attachments

• Dinghy.jpg
    Dinghy.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 118
Take a look at CLC. They have several tenders including one or two that are modular and the pieces stack for storage.

Here’s a Gig Harbor Defiance.
12’ with a much wider stern than the whitehall types. Designed for rowing, sailing and outboarding. She’s a good choice as a propper dinghy with a large carrying capacity. Since carrying people and their gear is job one the Gig is hard to beat unless you feel the need for speed.

As you can see in the pics she’s got a big stern and even w just me aft w a small OB she’s bow high as one would expect but not ridiculously so. Most dinghies would be almost unusable in that configuration.

The Defiance was built using the hull of a very popular fishing boat over 100 years ago near Point Defiance near Tacoma Wa. However Gig Harbor Boats didn’t use the old fishing boat as-is. They widened the stern. It had a considerably narrower stern in the day and GH wanted their boat to be good w an OB without much sacrifice under sail or while rowing. And the added stability was a welcome gain. Rowing resistance is or should be low even heavily loaded as the transom would still be out of the water.

This boat of mine was a dinghy all it’s life aboard a 140’ barge in Bristol Bay Alaska. Dan, unfortunately died and I bought the boat from a close friend of Dan’s some time later.
It was ordered w/o the slot in the bottom for the centerboard but the CB trunk is still there. And as an OB version she never had sailing gear. And I think judging from these boats I’ve seen the Defiance is most often sold as primarily as a sailboat. I cut my transom down some to get the OB lower unit deeper in the water. Also I am fortunate in that Dan ordered the boat w the teak gunwales. I advise anybody do the same. And lastly I was supprised how light she is.

Attachments

• 372AEF00-4D6C-405C-8F98-C3C7D1403A61.jpg
    372AEF00-4D6C-405C-8F98-C3C7D1403A61.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 866E7D66-B59F-49FA-B403-DDB2FA265096.jpg
    866E7D66-B59F-49FA-B403-DDB2FA265096.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Looks beautiful though, reminds me of a Whitehall. Do I understand you correctly that you would recommend the boat as a row boat, just not as a powerboat?
Best,
Maldwin

I would highly recommend it as a row boat!:thumb:

Here is how I get it to the water (more exercise getting it to dock than the actual rowing). :)

Transport.jpg

For a non traditional looking dinghy I would suggest a 10' Livingston. They are very stable, and actually row very well due to their catamaran hull. Plus can take a 9.9 HP outboard if desired. Although their now defunct website suggested 7' oars they definitely need 9 footers.
Very versatile.

The attached photo shows it in outboard mode, but it is often used to row as it moves through the water very easily

Attachments

• DSC_8768.jpg
    DSC_8768.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 86
Dyer Dhow, 9' rows like a dream. Using Shaw and Tanney oars. Great combo!

I have one too many, a 10 ft Trinka and a 8 ft Walker Bay. They both row pretty good. The Trinka probably weighs twice as much as the Walker Bay. Trinka is hand laid fiberglass and the Walker Bay is plastic.

Attachments

• 5DBCDF39-29AE-4048-9493-E3AF79AD3E01.jpg
    5DBCDF39-29AE-4048-9493-E3AF79AD3E01.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 102
I have a 10' Livingston I use as a dock utility boat I've rowed it many times, but now I use an electric outboard. It tends to be easy to row a straight course maybe because of the twin hulls. It also carries a lot of weight. Here's one with 2 adult men and a full size reefer.

Attachments

• Reefer.jpg
    Reefer.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 98
I'm partial to my Dyer 9'. I used it on my 424 ketch for about 10 years, and on my 44MT trawler for 4 years, and now on my Albin 27FC with stern davits for 5 years. I bought it used in Indianapolis back in 1984 from the second owner. Each stroke of the oars moves me about 15' and it's very stable. I used to take my airedale to shore when we cruised and he weighed about 75 lbs. Anyway, I just saw one for sale at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum with Shaw and Tenney oars, mast and good sail for $ 1200(asking). That's a helluva deal if you want a good dink. Ben

Why no love for a 10 or 12 foot aluminum V hull boat. I've never seen one as a dink.
So of course I have to make one. Found a 12 footer with a title for $200. Currently cutting it down to about 10'4" to fit the Mainship transom. Have a little 1 banger Merc. 3.3 to power it. Oars too.

Cheap, lightweight, practically indestructible.... Not as pretty as fiberglass but will outlast an inflatable on sandy or rocky beaches or out in the sun..

12 foot aluminum boat, rows like a dream, easy to flip onto the swim platform. No maintenance.

Dyer Dhow, 9' rows like a dream. Using Shaw and Tanney oars. Great combo!

John I’d love to see pics of the Dhow. Boats by that name are beautiful and especially good IMO.

Here’s my GH Defiance in propper trim.

Cliff I think Lund makes an 11’ version of their famous “Sportsman” line that is especially light. So light you’ll probably be supprised.

Attachments

• 20DC394E-8838-4D30-9AD1-338F0075C886.jpeg
    20DC394E-8838-4D30-9AD1-338F0075C886.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Rowing dingy

Walker Bay 8 or 10. West Marine sells them. They are heavy plastic, classic lapstrake shape, inexpensive, practically indestructible, and you can get a sailing kit for them. They row well, are fairly light and you can even get an inflatable collar for them to make it a “rib” if you want. I have the 8 and I’ve had it for 20 years. For the money, performance, looks and durability, I can’t imagine ever using anything else.

I would recommend any of the boats by the Dinghy Company out of Stanwood WA. They are fiberglass lapstrake design and taken from actual original wooden boats. I have owned two models and both rowed very well.

I would recommend any of the boats by the Dinghy Company out of Stanwood WA. They are fiberglass lapstrake design and taken from actual original wooden boats. I have owned two models and both rowed very well.

Rocky,
Is the Dinghy Co. still on the job?
Had no idea. I too have bought two boats from him. One had a Dutch re-curve bow stem and the other was w a typical stem but a little bigger. I’m guessing 9’.
Loved them both and both excellent for rowing.
It will be fun to drop in on him. See what he’s working on.

Whrre is your Sundowner?

Back
Top Bottom