RIB Sole-Searching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
My hard-bottom RIB has a slippery, v-shaped sole. Boarding is a challenge, and there's always some water sloshing around in the bottom of the "V" and the two lifting strakes molded into the bottom. Anything tossed into the boat gets wet, as do shoes, coat tails, life jacket straps, etc.

I'm looking for ideas to make the sole flatter and dryer.

Obviously, I could cut a piece of plywood to shape, and leave a hole in the deepest part of the V to insert a hand pump. But the boat (with motor) is already almost too heavy for two people to carry down a long beach after the tide has gone out. Adding that much weight is a show stopper.

What have other folks done?

I am thinking slats fastened to a spine down the middle for support.

Light weight, better air circ, good enought to walk on, keeps things out of the water as long as it isn't too deep but a little sloshing will get things wet if not protected.

On my dink it will be 2 sections as aft of the seat has lower flats to sit it on.

A slatted floor will allow water to drain through and keep things dry. A couple of strategically placed holes will allow for access to the new bilge.

Something similar to this. Much lighter than plywierd. Psneeld beat me to the punch.

dsc01332.jpg

We always slats in my Uncle's jon boats... I've though about making up something for our big canoe, too...

There are wheels that can be attached to dinghies...

-Chris

Consider the composite fence balusters or pickets; typically lighter and much lower maintenance than wood. Available at places like Home Depot or Lowes.

Double check...many of the composite "woods" are heavier and not as strong as plain old wood.

For me, you can rip up an old oak pallet, a few screws add a few sheets of sandpaper ....it will make a suitable, attractive enough and pretty non skid slat floor that with zero maintenance will last a few years. If you like it...easy and cheap to replace, if not upgrade in the direction you see fit.

I like the direction this is going - thanks!

I had thought of those wooden "chess board" pattern soles you see in heads, but I hadn't considered slats. Funny thing, my father in law gave me a slatted sole piece he'd found somewhere, knowing I was a "boat guy" and might find a use for it. I wonder what I did with that...

Transom wheels are a good idea, too. Most of the ones I see stick up, and you have to flip the dinghy upside down to use them. Not much good if you have a motor. I assume they make a version which hinges up out of the way, and locks down, but I haven't gotten around to looking for one yet.

Yes there are some nice wheels that fold down for the beach and up for motoring.

Once you get into the bigger and heavier dingies...over 250 pounds with gear in them...yes the big wheels are necessary for softer sand!!!!

While it won’t stop things from getting wet, perhaps consider putting Seadek on the bottom. It will stop the slip sliding around. It won’t make the deck flat but it won’t be slippery. And it is a simple fix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom