Replacing an inflatable with something bigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mncruiser

Vessel Name
Phoenix
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
We run a 2001 Mainship 390 with the Zodiac that came with the boat. It's an older Hypalon model, and while in decent shape it will need replacement in a few years. I put a Mercury 20 on it in place of the 9.9, and it is quick and pretty efficient. We also have the sea-wise davits which are very nice. Here is a picture of my setup :
attachment.php

We are Lake Superior boaters, mainly boat around our home port of Bayfield, Wisconsin and the Apostle Islands. Normal load is myself, my wife and 2 kids 8 and 10. There are lots of islands and secret beaches to explore.

I have this idea that I would like a small "hard boat" that we would tow. Something like a Boston Whaler 13 or 15, with a 40 to 60HP outboard. We have decent legs with the existing dinghy, but I find myself wanting something a little larger to take some longer trips with more gear, and be a little more stout crossing parts of the cruising area.

My thought is either not replace the dinghy...or replace with a smaller cheaper dink with a 2hp or even electric motor for strictly ship to shore trips. Then when it makes sense, we tow along the bigger dinghy/boat.

What am I not thinking of? There will surely be more to think about...docking will require some handling of the dinghy alongside or off the stern, or one of the kids or my wife hops in the small boat and takes it in. Most of the places we go we can anchor or dock at park docks, so slip fees not really an issue.

I'd love to hear about your experiences. Thank you!

Attachments

• dinghy setup.jpg
    dinghy setup.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 491
I've never been a big fan of towing the dinghy. Too many things can and have gone wrong.

I also carried an inflatable for several years but it had a black bottom and absorbed so much sun heat that the bottom came lose. Plus transporting bikes was problematic.

Then to a fiberglass sailing dinghy. Way too heavy!

Now a small aluminum hard dinghy. Pretty uncomfortable for two people, Plus it really plows water. Fine with only one person on board though.

In all cases I used my Weaver Davits.

If anyone comes up with the perfect dinghy, please let me know, I'm still looking.

pete

I've never been a big fan of towing the dinghy. Too many things can and have gone wrong.

Now a small aluminum hard dinghy. Pretty uncomfortable for two people, Plus it really plows water. Fine with only one person on board though.

pete

Hey Pete! Thanks for the reply. I am kind of worried about the towing too.

It's funny you mention the aluminum dinghy. I recently found this in a friend's yard:
attachment.php

It's a 1956 Crestliner Commander, 12 feet long. I think the max I could do on it is 25HP...and it really isn't practical in any way right? But dang isn't it cool? I can see me now looking really keen driving around in it, until I had to dock or find a way to be comfortable in it haha.

I also kind of laugh at this picture. How did they hook up that mooring or anchor? Climb over the windshield? Hop in the water? Now I'm starting to convince myself that the closed bow makes it more Great Lakes seaworthy....haha

I think the perfect dinghy is one of each, you pick what you'd like for that day! Ha!

Attachments

• crestliner commander.jpg
    crestliner commander.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
We carry an aluminum skiff in davits. Ours is a 12 footer. With a 6hp on the back, fuel, oars, anchor, etc. it's about 260 lbs. The biggest downside to a dinghy like that is much lower weight capacity than an inflatable.

I've hunted around a good bit for a hard dinghy of any material that can plane, carry more weight, and is light enough to carry in davits. I haven't come up with anything all that much better than what we've got short of the very expensive OC Tender.

Ours is not all that fast with the 6hp, but after adding trim tabs, it's fast enough. 13 kts with a 180lb load, a bit over 9 kts with a 400 lb load. This is about the weight limit for getting it on a clean plane with the current setup. And about 8 kts with 400 lbs load into a 25 kt headwind and 6 - 8 inch chop.

We carry an aluminum skiff in davits. Ours is a 12 footer. With a 6hp on the back, fuel, oars, anchor, etc. it's about 260 lbs. The biggest downside to a dinghy like that is much lower weight capacity than an inflatable.

I've hunted around a good bit for a hard dinghy of any material that can plane, carry more weight, and is light enough to carry in davits. I haven't come up with anything all that much better than what we've got short of the very expensive OC Tender.

Ours is not all that fast with the 6hp, but after adding trim tabs, it's fast enough. 13 kts with a 180lb load, a bit over 9 kts with a 400 lb load. This is about the weight limit for getting it on a clean plane with the current setup. And about 8 kts with 400 lbs load into a 25 kt headwind and 6 - 8 inch chop.

I am lusting over that OC tender but man is it expensive. I have been looking for stitch and glue designs with similar attributes but shape and weight wise but I doubt that construction would be as durable.

Towing a dingy is ofetn an issue. Limits your speed, bad weather an issue. A hard dingy can bang against your boat at night, making noise, waking you up. One reason rigid inflatable boats are popular.

We towed some form of dinghy for the majority of 15 seasons in the NE area with little or no problems. All of them were RIB's of variable lengths and hp, we typically towed at speeds of 5-6 knots or 15-17 knots dependent upon weather and trip. Other than what you posted these are a few things that we had figured out over the years....
- a suitable bridle is important (length, capacity, float, quick connect, etc)
- a self-bailing dinghy is valuable
- attachment points for the towed and towing boat are important (access, strength, height, etc)
- longer dinghies track better than shorter dinghies
- the weight of the towed dinghy will likely be much more than your initial thought

Towing is a mindset, not a hookup and forget.

It can be incredibly handy or a PIA depending on what your cruising plans are.

If lots of anchoring without long distances traveled every day, towing is great...lots of marinas or getting caught in open rough water with a long way to go... not so great.

As far as problems towing, experience means a lot so getting in over your head can be easy. But it isnt rocket science ...after only 2 practice tows, my old assistance towing boss turned me loose full time with rarely any assistance or more experienced captain. The first season had its moments but doing it commercially was way more demanding than recreationally.

If that skiff suits your fancy go for it, but to me being able to get to the bow of a utilitarian dingy is paramount. Cool criser?, tempting but not for me as a dink.

Last edited:
I am lusting over that OC tender but man is it expensive. I have been looking for stitch and glue designs with similar attributes but shape and weight wise but I doubt that construction would be as durable.

Good point on building something. I've debated trying to build something, maybe in foam cored fiberglass. I'd probably not bother with actual plans, but just go for a simple warped plane, low deadrise modified V hull skiff shape with hard chines, probably about 11 feet long. One of these years I may give it a shot just for fun.

I am a big fan of Boston Whalers -- the pre- Sea Ray versions. I have owned five - 2 13s, 2 16s and a 21. They are fast, stable, and appreciate in value if well cared for.

That said, we use a RIB on Morning Light and sold one with Fintry. Our first dinghy on Fintry (79' ex Royal Navy Fleet Tender) was a 1990 13' Whaler. We found that the interaction of the swim platform and the Whaler's rub rail created problems both with toes and with damage to the rub rail. I added a flap below the aft edge of the swim platform -- hinged up underway -- to keep the Whaler from going under the platform. Still suffered damage to the rub rail and couldn't prevent the Whaler from going over the swim platform when a wave lifted it. Finally replaced the rub rail and sold the Whaler. Bought a Highfield 360 which was entirely satisfactory.

If I were you, I would buy a larger RIB rather than a Whaler. Or plan on always boarding the Whaler from the side rather than the swim platform. If you do go for a hard boat, look at older Whalers or Edgewater (founded by the Whaler people).

Jim

I find myself wanting something a little larger to take some longer trips with more gear, and be a little more stout crossing parts of the cruising area.

I'm not sure a Whaler would provide these attributes over a (larger) RIB? What is the max load your Weaver davit system can handle? I think it'd be very nice to at least have the option to pull the dinghy out of the water, say if you went out for a day and the weather changed on you.

Wife and I have 3 kids and 2 dogs and our lightweight HB-315DX 10'4" RIB does well for us and is very easy to manage, but our cruising geography & style doesn't really require long dinghy trips. Boat came with an 11' Whaler with a Honda 20hp which I sold (for an astonishingly high price I thought). It was fun, but a worse tender in every imaginable way (heavy, not as stable, less load capacity, wet).

The Seawise davit has a load limit of around 450 pounds or so. So it will not lift a Whaler but maybe put the brackets for the Seawise on the side of the Whaler to clip it in when the Whaler is behind the big boat. That would hold it in place while you are boarding and also stop it from damaging the swim platform. But it will rattle when it is clipped in.

The OC's look really cool. I wonder how they ride with their "flat" hull? One thing I do like about the Zodiac fiberglass v hull, for its size it takes waves pretty well.

MN,

I could argue strongly to consider the limitations of towing a dinghy. With a family of 4 a bigger dink sure would be nice. You're limited by the capability of the lift. I had a similar lift (Weaver Lever) and am replacing it with a Dinghy Butler. The Weaver is an excellent lift, like yours, but weight limited and the mechanics of tilting the motor can be a problem with some dinghies.

About the biggest dinghy you could lift would be a very light weight 9 or 10 ft rib.

I wish someone would come out with an all aluminum light weight dinghy with a console. Doesn't exist.

With a better lift you'd not be limited and could consider the Whaley or the Rigid, both non inflatable and minimal maintenance.

I've got a Godiac Ultralight 320, very similar to the Highfield. Great boat with a console, but would be tight for 4.

I'm considering a larger dinghy but not now. The Whaley is on my list. I wish the OC Tender had a console, but would be afraid to ask the price.

Best of luck.

Out of curiosity, what's the need for a console on something in the 10 foot range? I just see it as lost space in the dinghy.

I wish someone would come out with an all aluminum light weight dinghy with a console. Doesn't exist.

Have you checked out the Marlon aluminum boats? I really like their 12' jon boat style. For being all aluminum, they seem to have a good weight capacity to weight of boat. I don't have one, just on my wish list for now.

Towing a dingy is ofetn an issue. Limits your speed, bad weather an issue. A hard dingy can bang against your boat at night, making noise, waking you up. One reason rigid inflatable boats are popular.

This is all important.

Added risk with the hard dinghy includes pinched fingers and feet. Towing adds the complexity of line handling and a potential fouled prop. You know the capabilities of your crew, and if this is something you want to work with or not.

We dragged a 13 Whaler all over the Great Lakes when I was a kid. I remember it broke free in Lake Erie once in big swells. I remember it getting all banged up against the swim platform. I was also given great freedom to burn up my boat washing money running it around, which was a great foundation to boating and meeting people.

What will be the best boat for the kiddos to use unsupervised (out of sight)? Not high horsepower, not too fast, and something efficient. Train them and cut them loose!

I grew up with first a Boston Whaler squall, then a 13, then a 17 montauk with the mahogany console. I have the same nostalgic affection for them that I do for the 1968 Mustang convertible that I restored when I was in high school.

That said, about the only redeeming qualities whalers have in today’s boat tech is durability and holding their price. They are heavy, slow, wet and will pound the fillings out of your teeth. Also very expensive. You can buy a high end microskiff for what you pay for a whaler these days.

We have a 340 highfield with a 20 hp Suzuki. I like it a lot, despite the limitations of an inflatable. It will do everything you are looking for and you can carry it on your swim platform using trick davits or similar. You can keep your current motor and upgrade the boat. For seaworthiness, speed, weight, stability and carrying capacity it’s impossible to beat a RIB. Durability is their issue.

Last edited:
There have been several negative comments about the longevity of RIBs. We had a 1994 Avon Hypalon Rollup that we took around the world. We sold it with Fintry. It didn't see much use on Fintry, but it's still in good shape, perfectly usable, 28 years later. Buy quality, not el cheapo, Hypalon, not PVC, and keep them out of the UV with a cover and they'll last a long time.

Jim

Aluminium wide body dory with electric start 30 (wish it was 40) 2 stroke ob for us
Solid bit of gear but easily lifted on davits with 3 speed manual trailer winches.

Very stable, can carry a big load and can punch on through some weather if needed.
We often do a 14nm each way run across open water for provisioning.
And after 5 years of use have not got wet from spray due to "Millenium hull" shape

milleniumhulls_r10_c5.gif

Have happily towed it several hundred miles up and down the coast without issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20170116_061029.jpg
    IMG_20170116_061029.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Aluminium wide body dory with electric start 30 (wish it was 40) 2 stroke ob for us
Solid bit of gear but easily lifted on davits with 3 speed manual trailer winches.

Very stable, can carry a big load and can punch on through some weather if needed.
We often do a 14nm each way run across open water for provisioning.

Have happily towed it several hundred miles up and down the coast without issue.

That's a great looking tender for a larger vessel - what's the weight?

That's a great looking tender for a larger vessel - what's the weight?

Around 650lb including motor, fuel and battery

But, our model "420 Busta" does have a thicker, heavier hull bottom.
If you went for the "420 Dory Blade" the bottom is thinner saving 100 lb in weight.

We are pretty hard on ours, gets run up on rocks and concrete ramps so we step out with dry feet and don't have to worry as much about stonefish or crocs.

Last edited:
My thoughts:

Started with a RIB. They're pigs. My first rule on any dinghy is "try rowing it for a mile before you buy it". Had bad luck with a propane outboard. Learned that it's pointless to own oars with a RIB. It's like rowing a bathtub until the wind takes over.

Bought a 13' aluminum utility boat with a 15 HP electric start Suzuki. Loved it other than trying to keep it from banging and scratching the mother ship. Ok at rowing. Not friendly in wind unless your underway. Tired of having to keep fresh gas on the boat.

Bought a Trinka rowing and sailing dinghy with a 3 HP Epropulsion electric outboard. Very happy with it. Rowes extremely well. Simple, reliable, electric outboard with a 24 mile range and easy to recharge battery. Better in the wind, but easily pushed around when not underway. The downside is limited to displacement hull speeds.

Dinghies are pretty much compromises. If you use yours in remote locations as I do, make sure you have a plan "B" for when the motor quits.

Ted

I have a 12 foot porta-bot. It’s one of the older models so a little unstable but I think the newer models might fit your bill.

Mine is paired with a 4hp engine and really flies. Light enough to leave set up and hung from your davit and doesn’t interfere with docking.

MNcruiser, You would know since you own it but are you sure your little boat is a Crestliner? It sure looks like an Alumacraft to me. I have the same boat except with a steering deck by the rear seat. Mine is about a 1959 and rated for 35 hp which is what I have on it in the form of a 1959 Evinrude. I'm also sure your rig weighs more than 650 pounds. My motor alone weighs over 200 (I think)

I love the boat and motor. maybe I will try towing again.

pete

In the PNW, Canadians tow Boston whales with center console.

Love this thread,
There are those who love aluminum skiff's, others love Boston Whalers.
Then those who would never have anything but an inflatable, I'm in that camp.
But, as others have said.. its hard to have just one type. When we do longer trip we often take two, A 10' 15hp rib and a 12' forward steering console Avon RIB with either a 40hp or 25hp 2 stroke. On our old big trawler we carried both on deck. In the ocean Alexander we have a davit to lift the 10' rib up to the flybridge.

All the tender types have merit ( although I gave away a 12' aluminum skiff with a Honda outboard off of our big trawler because I hated it in every way). I believe the area also has a big influence on the type of tender most choose.

Hollywood

lack of space vs length in an RIB is always a problem. I like the Boston Whaler but they are quite heavy. I suspect RIBs are popular because relatively they're cheap.

We run a 12' epoxy impregnated marine plywood skiff that my father built some 25 years ago (one of many he built over the years). It has held up remarkably well despite being built with weight in mind. The boat itself is only about 150 lb. We run a 15 hp but really needs a bit more if you want to get 4 adults up on a plane. Sides are high to handle the rough water in tide rips. We tow the skiff, been doing that for decades in all sorts of conditions in the PNW without incident. It is true that hard side skiff can bump you at night so we sometimes tether it crosswise with fenders close behind the boat at night.

Attachments

• IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
lack of space vs length in an RIB is always a problem. I like the Boston Whaler but they are quite heavy. I suspect RIBs are popular because relatively they're cheap.

We run a 12' epoxy impregnated marine plywood skiff that my father built some 25 years ago (one of many he built over the years). It has held up remarkably well despite being built with weight in mind. The boat itself is only about 150 lb. We run a 15 hp but really needs a bit more if you want to get 4 adults up on a plane. Sides are high to handle the rough water in tide rips. We tow the skiff, been doing that for decades in all sorts of conditions in the PNW without incident. It is true that hard side skiff can bump you at night so we sometimes tether it crosswise with fenders close behind the boat at night.

I would appreciate any more pictures and construction details skiff that you may care to share. Is it wrapped in fiberglass cloth? Looks neat

It is true that hard side skiff can bump you at night so we sometimes tether it crosswise with fenders close behind the boat at night.

I padded the heck out of ours for exactly that reason. Only part I still need to do something about are the handles on the aft corners, they're still pretty exposed.

Attachments

• PXL_20220801_164955039.jpg
    PXL_20220801_164955039.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom