Old 07-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Replacement Davit Winch

I'm looking for replacement electric davit winch for my IG-39.* The current winch, which I use to hoist my 9' inflatable dinghy and 5 HP motor onto my bridge deck, has failed for the second time and this time it may be permanent.

The current winch is a Rule Industries V20, made by ITT's Fluid Handling Division.* ITT has bailed out of the winch business and no longer provides new products and spare parts.* The motor switch failed last year; I was able to get an acceptable aftermarket replacement.* Now the motor's internal wiring has an open circuit and I'm unable to find a replacement.

The winch needs to be 12 VDC, wire cable, power-in/power-out (vs. power-in/free-wheel-out).* The best option I've found is the Dutton-Lainson SA5000DC (w/o clutch), which has the same foot-pad bolt arrangement as the V20.

Any other suggestions?

-- Edited by jethrobd on Thursday 29th of July 2010 08:42:39 PM

jethrobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: Replacement Davit Winch

Jeff, I have moved this to the "general discussion" area since this particular part is not necessarily IG specific and you will get more hits over there.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks, John. Good point.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Doc
Guru

Replacement Davit Winch

I am interested too. I have a Rule V45 that is beginning to look cruddy. Mine is controlled by a solonoid that is hidden (hard*to get to)*up inside the davit. I am wondering if this is necessary or could the entire system be replaced by an all in one unit?

-- Edited by Doc on Thursday 29th of July 2010 03:31:16 PM

-- Edited by Doc on Thursday 29th of July 2010 03:31:47 PM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Doc,

My winch does not have a solenoid; it's fed directly and the supply is switched in series. Initially, it was wired using the winch's integral switch. When that failed, I added an aftermarket switch designed for exterior applications on 4WD truck winches. The replacement was a much better design than the original.

Here's the link for the Dutton-Lainson SA5000DC:
http://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=25524
Old 07-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #6

City: Full time cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Californian 50' Cockpit M/V

Jeff I installed a Warn 1500 A/C winch on our boat 8 years ago. We have a 9.5' Caribe dink with a 15 HP Yamaha. One of the things I like about the A/C winch is I don't have to run heavy battery cable from the engine room all the way up to the fly bridge. I have the circuit for the dink on the inverter so that I don't have to have a generator running to lower the dink which we use a lot! I just got a new cable for it today because after all this time it is starting to fray. I keep the winch covered with a sunbrella cover when not in use.
Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #7

City: Fortlauderdale Fl
Vessel Name: DIANA ROSE 11
Vessel Model: CHB / Tricabin
Send a message via MSN to Ora Graham
Ora Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spence View Post
Jeff I installed a Warn 1500 A/C winch on our boat 8 years ago. We have a 9.5' Caribe dink with a 15 HP Yamaha. One of the things I like about the A/C winch is I don't have to run heavy battery cable from the engine room all the way up to the fly bridge. I have the circuit for the dink on the inverter so that I don't have to have a generator running to lower the dink which we use a lot! I just got a new cable for it today because after all this time it is starting to fray. I keep the winch covered with a sunbrella cover when not in use.
Jim what type of winch and where can I buy one . Thank you
Ora Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #8

City: Everett
Vessel Name: SPIRIT BEAR
Vessel Model: PACIFIC TRAWLER 40
Hi Jethrobd,

Some thing to consider when you search for a replacement 12VDC dinghy hoist winch:

All ATV and trailer winches on the aftermarket are rated at a large multiple of their actual lift capacity at stall. For instance, an ATV winch "rated" at 1500 lbs, may only lift ~300 pounds. The industry has some arbitrary over-rating that they apply, their logic being that the winch, designed to tug an ATV (or dune buggy, or truck, or?) out of a jam needs only a small fraction of the winch's rated capacity to actually come un-stuck. Hence, if it takes 300 pounds to winch out an ATV from a bog, they rate it at 1500 lbs as a marketing ploy. Which would you buy? A winch rated at 300 lb, or 1500 pounds?

Winches rated as "hoists", however, ARE rated at their actual rated stall load. Hence, a hoist rated at 1500 lbs can actually lift a 1500 lb load. The very self-same winch, perhaps re-stickered and with a different paint job, may be sold by the same manufacturer as a 5,000 pound bumper winch. Go figure.

Next, although ATV, trailer, and bumper winches may advertise a brake on reverse (ie-when the power is removed, the load is locked), they usually don't work worth squat. So, mid-hoist on your dinghy, if you need to halt the lift and swing the davit, the dinghy will over-run the winch, and the dinghy will fall (albeit slowly) back towards the water. A real PIA.

Winches rated as hoists DO lock the load with the power off. That's why they can be legally sold as "hoists". Big difference in operating convenience. And a great many of both hoist and bumper winches have power-up and power-down feature, without free-spooling the drum. And, as expected, hoist winches are more expensive than bumper (ATV, trailer, etc.) winches.

My boat came with a RULE 2200 dinghy hoist. Worked great. Had plenty of grunt to lift my 4M Avon w/40 HP outboard. It DID lock with power off. However, it did eventually go back to nature, and after several rebuilds, I had to replace it. And, as others have found, RULE is out of the winch market these days. I found a cheap ATV winch, advertised with 3000 lbs capacity, advertised with a locking drum, and power-up and -down. Only cost $125. Thought I was in hog heaven. Until the first time I used it, when the drum did NOT lock power off. And the third time, the drum disintegrated into pieces during a hoist. The replacement is a much-more expensive WARN 2500 (~$450 or so), which also will not lock on power-off. Sigh. Next winch will be an actual hoist winch.

One final tid-bit. I have used synthetic hoist cable (Amsteel, Spectra, there's plenty of others) for many moons now. Every bit as strong as wire rope, won't hockle, and won't develop meat hooks to rip you open if you grab it. Highly recommended. Have a rigging shop splice loops in it if needed.

Pete
jungpeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Absolutely true about quality hoists...if you really need one...you always have to decide what WILL work versus what is the premium tool for the job.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I replaced my electric winches (Rule) with the same model as they were made by Dayton, purchased from Granger.

Winches and Winch Accessories - Grainger Industrial Supply
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #11

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
I would second Pete's comments. I bought the ATV version and it works but it does not have the braking power. When you shut it off it will just spool out when you DO NOT want it to. I will be going back to the other style this spring. When you have the kids around, a large dinghy dangling over the side, a steel cable that if snapped would not be awesome, it is already a situation that can be kind of hairy. This is not the place to go cheap.

Good luck!
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Times three on Pete's excellent post. Smooth braking and control capability gets very important, the heavier the tender and greater the height and more maneuvering involved. We used a 115v GoLo 1200lb (lifting capacity) to raise a 13ft, 1000lb Whaler 15 feet. Marquip standard issue. Got a ton of use both when we cruised full time and mostly anchoring and living full time out on moorings, and our subsequent year around weekend/vacation cruising which always involved anchoring. When it came time to rebuild or replace it, I looked into all the cheap alternatives, and after a lot of research and consultation with cruisers, yards, Marquip, etc, decided to stay with the GoLo and they rebuilt it for me for the price of a cheapy. So while "expensive" initial cost (they run about $1700 new, lifetime cost pretty competitive. They don't make a 12v, just AC units; ours worked fine off the inverter.

Obviously when dealing with a much lighter and softer inflatable traveling short distances, something like a $500-600 Warn mechanical braking hoist will likely do fine.

Another way to increase capacity is to put a block in the mix; slows down rate of lift by half but doubles the winch's capacity (but not that of the boom!)

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote