Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
She loves the picture of the 2 seat version.
Craig:

When we went to buy Renee's kayak, we were advised by the woman who owns the dealership (27 years) that Renee would be better off with a single. (Two singles if both of us want to kayak) The tandem is longer, heavier and more cumbersome to handle. (Also, a lot more money!) Note: These boats are the "Flemings" of the kayak world. Nothing else comes close! (Renee's was $1,600.00.) All I can say is: I looked at everything and the engineering that went in to these boats is phenomenal!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #22

City: Benicia CA
Iv'e got an Outfitter, 2 Outbacks, and a Tandem Island. They are the best, hands down. The Outfitter (2 seater) is on our boat as it saves space and the other ones are at our lake house. The Tandem Island is for sailing and is fast as you know what. All the others are especially great for fishing as it's hands free propulsion.

For people that like traditional paddling, no problem, but the Mirage Drives are much faster and a lot easier.

Mark, not one problem. And Craig, if you ever want to try one first, come on down to Benicia and try the Outfitter anytime (before we hopefully head back to the PNW in April). By the way, women love them as they're easy to propel, or, they'll sit back and let you do all the work!

Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
The Outfitter (2 seater) is on our boat as it saves space and the other ones are at our lake house.

For people that like traditional paddling, no problem, but the Mirage Drives are much faster and a lot easier.
Where, on your boat, do you put the Outfitter?

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #24

Up top next to the tender (probably can't make it out in my avatar). I need to use the davit to get it up or down from there though. However, if I'm not going too far to the next location, I'll just simply secure it to the stern rails on the swim platform. Very easy to launch and board.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #25

City: WA
Quote:
Hobie Cat Company - Mirage Revolution 11

We just bought one of these and it is the slickest kayak I have ever seen! Hobie has a lot of different models that come with/without Mirage Drives.
This is exactly what my wife wants.
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #26

Rusty,

Same offer to you as well as anybody else on the forum - if you want to try one first, come on over to Benicia an give it a whirl. You'll (and her) will be glad you did! Let me know.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #27

City: Northern California
My sister at 5' tall loves her Eddyline for its lightweight. I, at 250 lbs and lazy was going to buy the Hobie tandem with Mirage drive for one seat and a Torqeedo electric drive for the other seat. The Torqeedo units were back ordered so went with the Ocean Torque. Not a fan of loading a 60 lb Group 27 battery into the battery compartment for a 16 mile range, so rolled my own using LiFePO4 cells. Have two packs made up of these cells, the outbound battery and a return battery. Good for 40 miles out and 40 miles back.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #28
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Craig:

When we went to buy Renee's kayak, we were advised by the woman who owns the dealership (27 years) that Renee would be better off with a single. (Two singles if both of us want to kayak) The tandem is longer, heavier and more cumbersome to handle. (Also, a lot more money!) Note: These boats are the "Flemings" of the kayak world. Nothing else comes close! (Renee's was $1,600.00.) All I can say is: I looked at everything and the engineering that went in to these boats is phenomenal!
Thank you Walt, what sold Jennifer on the idea was your photo's of Renee using hers. I agree with her that it would be a lot of fun in our cruising area. Al, Ray and I saw the Hobie at the Sportsman show and it is a well built product. Wish I'd gave it more attention at the time now.

Pricey but worth it IMO. We'll try some out in the coming months and make a choice either one tandem or two singles. She wants one sooner rather than later.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #29
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Craig, if you ever want to try one first, come on down to Benicia and try the Outfitter anytime (before we hopefully head back to the PNW in April). By the way, women love them as they're easy to propel, or, they'll sit back and let you do all the work!
Thank you for your generous offer! We may just take you up on that. I'll send you a PM if we have a chance to come to Benicia before you leave.

My wife already admitted that sitting back sometimes and letting me do the work is part of her plan.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #30
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
The admiral and I each have a 12.5' "perception" kayaks, that have been a lot of fun. Walts Hobies' look like even more fun! They are the cats pajamas!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Shall we argue the virtues of single versus twin drives on these?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #32

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
We bought two Santee Sport 116 kayaks and love them. Very easy to get in/out of. Much lighter than the tandem that we had considered and very easy to manouver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0224.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	16553  
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #33

City: Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Finnerty
Vessel Model: 26 Tollycraft
I like these, dual purpose paddleboard and sit on top kayak, add a wet suit for Alaska paddling! Plus they are low profile so they are easy to stack two together.
Nalu 12.5 | Ocean Kayak
Ddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #34
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
What are the pros and cons of sit ontop of or sit in?? We would be in calm rivers and creek anchorages, perhaps a beach landing now and then. The cheap(250.00) sit on top ofs look like all we need.

What do you think?
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
The sit in type are more stable, and IMO more versatile. We can carry supplies internally, as well as attach a splash skirt.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #36

City: WA
Quote:
Rusty,

Same offer to you as well as anybody else on the forum - if you want to try one first, come on over to Benicia an give it a whirl. You'll (and her) will be glad you did! Let me know.
Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you if we can arrange it.
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #37

City: Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Finnerty
Vessel Model: 26 Tollycraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
What are the pros and cons of sit ontop of or sit in?? We would be in calm rivers and creek anchorages, perhaps a beach landing now and then. The cheap(250.00) sit on top ofs look like all we need.

What do you think?
Pros of sit on tops: easy to get in and out of; cooler for summer paddling; the dog can sit on top too
Cons: you're gonna get wet; cold for winter paddling; can't pack as much stuff
Ddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
Pros of sit on tops: easy to get in and out of; cooler for summer paddling; the dog can sit on top too
Cons: you're gonna get wet; cold for winter paddling; can't pack as much stuff
Couldn't agree more!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #39
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Seems like the question of the year for people going to Alaska this summer. My wife and I are planning to leave La Conner to move our boat to Alaska around the first of May. In addition to our dinghy, I am looking at the Aire Tributary (Amazon.com: Tributary Strike 2 Inflatable Kayak: Sports & Outdoors) when both of us want to go paddling. I have used the Tomcat version and it was nice to paddle as long as you weren't going to make a day of it. I have always preferred self bailing inflatables since it seems we spend a lot of time in the rain. I am also considering a plastic single kayak but haven't decided yet. I have a Necky sea kayak in Anchorage, but the problem is the boat is in La Conner.
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #40
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I've got a couple of Perception Prodigy 10s on my pilot house. Maybe the most used boating accessory we own. We've beaten the heck out of them for at least 5 years. Throw them (literally) in the water to launch. Dragged on rocks and oyster beds. I can stand in one. My kids use to have log rolling contests with one standing on each end. Still look good and not faded. Give them a squirt of 303 every once in a while.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote