A PWC on a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcpip95

The short version of this story is that the Admiral loves her PWC. It doesn't matter what boat we get for living aboard, the PWC MUST come with us.

Thus my dilemma...:facepalm:

This brings up so many questions in my mind, I don't even know where to begin. I'm thinking about a 44' or 49' DeFever. Weight of PWC is 800 lbs.

The real issue is that we're also going to have to have a dinghy as well (can't very well go into town for dinner on a jet ski or go shopping and keep dry, etc.)

Does anybody carry a PWC with them on their trawler?

I've gone through as many threads as I could find on this topic, and have seen one or two posts, but nothing that really sheds light on this.

How the :devil: am I going to do this?

I've thought about rigging a RIB flat against the back of the transom, and hoisting the PWC up to the aft deck, but then that would create a problem of having to deal with the outboard motor for the RIB each time we wanted to launch/recover it.

I could probably put the two of them side-by-side on the aft deck (10' x 4' for PWC), but I'm concerned that would create a CoG/CoB issue having 800 lbs off to one side of the boat, and that high above the waterline.

Can't get rid of either the Admiral or the PWC.... any ideas?

Dinghy crane. If you mount them on the roof of the saloon as my dinghy is but across not parallel to the trawler, you should be able to have 2 without a balance issue. I could do it on my boat but would need to remove some boat deck railing. Wouldn't consider bringing a PWC without being able to store it far out of reach of thieves.

Ted

Our Bayliner 4788 came stock from the factory with a crane that could easily lift a PWC. I've seen several photos of 4788 owners with PWC's on the boat deck.

The challenge then becomes the weight. A PWC would be fine but add another 700 lbs for a RIB and the boat would be in my opinion too stern heavy. So at least on our boat we'd have to go with a lightweight skiff, which isn't a bad thing anyway since a heavy skiff can be a mother in open ocean surf conditions.

I see no dilemma at all. Put one on the roof and the other on stern davits. It's not uncommon to have both on a boat that size.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom