Pros and cons of noodle towing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben2go

Guru
Vessel Name
Shipoopi
Vessel Make
derilic sailboat
How do you guys feel about this set up for towing a dink of around 200lbs?I never thought about adding pool noodles to the lines.I have seen pool divider floats added to the lines before.

This isn't my boat.Just an intresting photo I found that gives me idears.

2766-2012-06-30-09-56-54.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using the noodles just to get the line to float?

Opps.I for got to caption that photo.It's not my boat.It's one I found while looking on another forum.My boat will have a stern drive and be more at risk of sucking the tow line into the prop.I don't plan to tow a lot.The idea is to keep the dink on the roof most of the time.

What "photo"?

Is the photo not showing up for you all?I can download and repost it instead of hot linking it.

Try this. Usually I have no issues posting pics.

15057139870_50c1764a71_o.jpg

I kind of like the idea. Not only will the rope float better than polypro but the stiffness might hold the dinghy away from the stern if you have to back down.
I do think it would be difficult to stow that rig.

Thanks for the photo! What I see is somewhat complicated as a towing system, messy to handle and stow. I use floating Poly line (5/8")- one size larger than required.
In addition I place one fishing seine fishing float on this line tied off on each end to the tow line with lacing twine so it will no move up or down the poly line. This float is close to the shackle at the skiff attachment end. This allows a guarantee the end will remain close to the surface as the skiff comes to the main boat eliminating any fear of the line sinking near the wheel.

This line also is used to tow firewood logs back if we are fortunate to fine one on an outing!!.

Whom ever the God(s) of promotions: :angel:Thanks for the promotion!! :thumb:Wow- A Guru. I shall wear the honor with pride.:smitten:
Al

Sorry a bit incomplete on my explanation. The Poly tow line is connected at the big boat end to a line that runs from Port to Starboard chocks which has a permanent ring of a size that the poly tow line's "Snap Hook" connects. this allows the tow line and skiff or firewood logs to seek center in route. The whole system coils up into a deck bucket and stowed either in the lazerette or aft deck.
Al

Whom ever the God(s) of promotions: :angel:Thanks for the promotion!! :thumb:Wow- A Guru. I shall wear the honor with pride.:smitten:
Al

You're welcome! :thumb:

We have observed you and have great confidence in your knowledge, skills and abilities. You won by unanimous vote. Don't let us down.

(either that or you automatically get the guru status at 500 posts...)

I suspect the pool noodles won't last long under heavy use.

Poly line is useable...just oversize it as much of it deteriorates pretty quickly too.

Being careful is important when towing. It's very difficult to ignore the tow and not get into a situation sooner or later. The sooner is usually when something isn't going well and you get distracted like crazy.

The noodles may provide enough rigidity to keep the dingy at a distance...but that may just add to their demise unless the noodles are being made better than the ones I'm familiar with.

I have seen and thought about using lengths of PVC with a larger float at the intersection of a bridle to keep the dingy back as an alternative.

I was going to use pool noodles but it was off season, the few I found were sky high so off to Home Depot. Pipe insulation worked fine, not color coordinated so not near as purdy.

We use Samson MFP Floatline for towing the dinghy. Much better than the cheap polypro.

At one time I wire-tied noodles around the rub-rail of Algae. The sun deteriorated them very quickly and they became a m-e-s-s. I'd bought the ones from the Dollar Tree so bottom of the line price...

They did not last a season.

I've seen mooring whips mounted on the stern of boats and used to hold the dinghy away from the mother boat. It keeps tension on the tow line so it doesn't sink and prevents the dinghy from hitting the boat.
Here is an old Popular Mechanics article about it.
Popular Mechanics - Google Books

I made a bridle to tow our 13' Boston Whaler using 5/8" poly rope but instead of running it through noodles, I bought some 1" PVC and cut it to 5' lengths. I have couplings on the ends of each piece so they can be fitted together. This should keep the Whaler from running into the back of the boat and still keep it centered.

I did use a short (1') piece of noodle right in front of the brass snap hook that attaches to the bow eye. That's just to make sure it stays afloat. I cut the front end of that piece of noodle so it's more 'bullet' shaped, not square. That keeps it from sending up too much spray.

Lots of great info to mull over.Thank you all for sharing.I have gotten some good ideas.I won't be a full timer at first and my boat will be trailered.The first couple years,I think I will be ok with floating line and a few pool noodles to help hold the dink off.I had always planned to use a bridle and pulley block.I'm not sure what the name of the pulley deal is some people use when towing with a bridle set up.I'll have to come up with a plan to keep it close to the surface and out of the prop.

Back
Top Bottom