Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Proper stowage of dingy outboard?

I don't believe Livingston is still in business, or if they are it's a different company somewhere else. They were originally located here, which is why there are still probably more boats in this area with Livingston dinghies than any other type.

When we bought ours new in 1999, the dealer told me how the side was reinforced but I can't remember exactly anymore. I believe it was laid up with extra layers of glass in the sides. If it's not that then it has a wood panel embedded in the fiberglass sides. But I'm pretty sure the reinforcement comes from extra glass. I say this because the side is still somewhat flexible, where I would expect it not to be if it had a plywood reinforcing panel in it.

At the time the factory also made a "guide" model in some of their sizes. I don't remember if the guide option went clear down into the 9' models, but I'm pretty sure that the guide option was wood reinforcement inside the fiberglass.

The Seattle dealer had sold thousands of Livingstons as shoreboats over the years so we just went with his recommendations. We got the reinforced side model, we had him fit the stainless steel rub strips on the two keel runners, oarlocks and oar holders, etc. He was also a Weaver dealer, but when we asked him about a rotating motor mount he recommended the simple Adventure Marine rotating mount as opposed to the Weaver Lever since our outboard is pretty small (about 50 pounds).

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Proper stowage of dingy outboard?

Livingston moved to N.Carolina
http://www.livingstonboats.com/index.html

Which makes them impractical for us on the west coast.

You are correct about the reinforcing, its just some extra glass , which is the same as my 9'. I had an 8' and I did the sides with 3/4 ply covered with glass. It was very stiff, much more so than my 9'. However,*the 9' is*about 12-15 yrs on its side and it still looks good.

I think if I was doing it today I would simply put on about 4 - 5 layers of Nytex cloth or 4 each layer of matte and 6ozcloth. That should be more than enough for the dinghies weight itself.
Each layer of Nytex is about 1mm,(0.039" the separate matte and cloth is about 1.25mm
(0.050")

-- Edited by C lectric on Sunday 30th of January 2011 12:09:38 AM

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #23
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Per,I am not sure if my set up would work for you- but we have a 3.5 Mercury (Tohatsu) 4 stroke that I remove when back that I mount on our sundeck railing. I had a piece of SS flat plate bent to 90 degrees for the top. The pic doesnt show well, but on the inboard side I have a 1/4" plate of aluminum that spaces the teak board out. My thinking is this keeps from scratching up the SS top rail, and if I ever want to do away with the mount I will only have to repair the holes I drilled in the FG surround to bring it back to original. I took a couple of pictures this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf7060.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	4845   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf7061.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	4846  
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #24
Per
Guru

thanks for your suggestion Steve, i like your set up.
however my rail is wood and too wide for the o/b to bracket over it.
but it does provide some possible ideas.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #25

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Who can recommend a motor mount system that will allow the outboard to be lowered off the swim platform as an auxilary for trolling or in case of main engine failure?
billsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #26
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
Marin wrote:
We have a 9' reinforced-side Livingston (you have to have the reinforced sides if you're going to carry it on its side) with a 4hp, 4-cycle Yamaha.

I have just bought a used 7.5 Livinston that I need to reinforce. Can you tell me what the factory does to beef the side*up for standing on davits?

Thanks
Roger
I saw a Livingston reinforced by fastening a 5/4"x6" treated board to the inside of the hull on the "down" side. Most of the side is flat enough to do this I fyou worry about looks you could have the board glassed in.
I have a Livingston,I carry it hanging on Kato davits so leave the motor on. If I were to do it I would mount the board on the outside of the hull and slip the top of it up under the cap the gunnel forms then fasten it through the side of the hull. Maybe paint it so it wouldn't look too bad.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
It seems to me to be a very dangerous way to transport a skiff/dinghy. It amybe alright in inland an sheltered waterways but I wouldn't want to be on the coast with that contraption on my stern.
I would also think it is a violation for a U.S. documented vessel- obstructing hailing port and vessel name.
The regulations require that the name be displayed on the hull. They don't specifically state that the name may not be obstructed at times.

Park yourself on the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway during the spring or fall snowbird season and count how many boats have dinghys stored on the stern and obstructing the boat's name.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #28
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
I started using a plank down the inside of the hull in a bridge effect to gain strength for the sides on my livingstons a while back. The first livingston I had was mounted on its side using the weaver system and this addition to the livingston stopped the sides from caveving in.

I added them to the 12 foot for the same reason to add strength on the sides. But it also let me place some cleats and rod holders down rigger mounts along with having a solid rail to tie stuff too. Good for storage of the axe along with the stern cleats giving me a good solid platform for a tow bridal.

2 planks with the ends cut for the 3 pieces between the hull and plank. 12 SS bolts, nuts and 24 washers. Small tube of caulk. Plus any other add ons that can be placed back onto the wood. All comes apart when the wood rots out and needs to be replaced. About ten years. I have thought about using aluminuim instead of wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 jan 033.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	11598   Click image for larger version

Name:	spring 2012 016.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	11599  
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #29

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
I have seen some local or home built mounts that pull a pin and as the Dingy is rotated onto the swim platform the motor stays level " very important on the four stroke" Options are always out there we pulled ours with the motor tilted up untill a offshore storm flipped it and ruined the motor, And the fear of the line becoming tangled in the prop.After that i used two pieces of alum pipe making a Y to insure the Dingy never was to close and elimiated the tangle fear, I love Davits But again a big wave will kill the boat davits and make a general mess of things. I read a long piece on life rafts deck mouted. getting tangled in rigging before making it off the boat, And my dads weighs about 300 Lbs making it not a good idea during a storm with the boat going down to be on the foredeck.1000 ideas and if you are a smooth water sailor davits holding the boat level are the best bet. If you blue water its personal preference and any issues that have turned bad as a guild to what you want. Just my two cents .
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
What size is your outboard? We have a very simple rotating mount on the back of our Livingston that allows us to rotate the outboard into a vertical position when the dingy is hauled up into it's stored position. The mount is made in Canada by Adventure Marine. It is limited to ouboards of 9.9 hp (ours is a 4hp 4-stroke). And it is totally manual. You have to bend down or kneel down and rotate the motor by hand. But it has worked great for us for the eleven years we've had it. https://www.adventuremarine.net/prod...ID=3&do=detail
Crikey Marin, that would be ideal for our motor. It's a 2.5hp Honda 4-stroke, and even tho it's only about 22kg, it is still a pain getting in on and off a bucking tender and I worry a bit about dropping it in the drink, even tho I tether it - which is more fiddling about and makes it that bit harder to lift clear of the transom. I wonder if those could be ordered or obtained here in Oz..? Our duckboard is not wide enough for the full fancy Weaver version even if I wanted to spend that sort of money.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
It seems to me to be a very dangerous way to transport a skiff/dinghy. It amybe alright in inland an sheltered waterways but I wouldn't want to be on the coast with that contraption on my stern.
I would also think it is a violation for a U.S. documented vessel- obstructing hailing port and vessel name.

I agree...for those that do this and THINK about it...they have the name on the bottom of the dingy, on some kind of material/wood that they throw over the dingy, or have the boat name repeated somewhere else...here's what I see from the USCG Documentation center...

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I wonder if those could be ordered or obtained here in Oz..? Our duckboard is not wide enough for the full fancy Weaver version even if I wanted to spend that sort of money.
I suppose you could contact AM and ask them. Assuming they're still in business.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #33
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsteele View Post
Who can recommend a motor mount system that will allow the outboard to be lowered off the swim platform as an auxilary for trolling or in case of main engine failure?

Garelick EEz-In
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: Polarus 35
Peter I made enquiries of AM and they quoted $65 to ship to OZ. Still makes a less expensive solution than a Weaver system
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #35

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Mappy
On our previous boat we had a 7.5 Livingston on Weaver davits. There was no reinforcement on the davit side, just big SS washers on both sides of the bolts. The 7.5 is stiffer than the 9s, but we have seen a 9 without any reinforcement on a Tolly swimstep. The OB was not mounted on the dinghy, though.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #36
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
"Dingy" isn't in my dictionary, but crazy or insane elsewhere.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
Peter I made enquiries of AM and they quoted $65 to ship to OZ. Still makes a less expensive solution than a Weaver system
Gee, thanks Rebel. I think I'll look into that. The price of the mount is still very attractive.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote