Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #21
Grand Vizier

RE: Porta Bote

Marin, the PB floats.* I would prefer to get swamped in our Whaler, but then again, the Whaler doesn't fold up to 8" thick, so it's a trade off.*

If you don't have any issues with what you have getting dinged on rocks or shells on the beach, or have space issues I don't know why you'd change.* We like the PB because on a sailboat there was no place to stow another type, and on the Albin there wasn't convenient room.* Once we had one of these buggly boats, their utility is pretty clear.* Your first impression is "what a cheap piece of ****".* However, 20 years later, the 'inner beauty' of the thing is pretty clear.

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Porta Bote

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

Your first impression is "what a cheap piece of ****".* However, 20 years later, the 'inner beauty' of the thing is pretty clear.
I just*took a look at the Porta-bote website and from the shots*the boat has more interior volume than I had remembered or assumed.**At the time we bought our GB we were having a heavy-duty debate*between buying a cruising boat and a de Havilland Beaver on floats.* Had we bought the plane we would have immediately had brackets added*and purchased a Porta-bote to carry on the float struts.*

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 21st of February 2011 04:35:49 PM

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #23
Veteran Member

We think the Porta-Bote is a practical boat, both for use as a dinghy and also for using as a small fishing boat for my husband as we travel the Great Loop. We have a dog and need to make shore visits so we are not inclined to disassemble it each time we bring it back to the boat.
Any thoughts on a good way to tip the Porta-bote onto the swim platform and secure it so that the swim platform and transom are not damaged.
rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

Quote:
rusbet wrote:

Any thoughts on a good way to tip the Porta-bote onto the swim platform and secure it so that the swim platform and transom are not damaged.
For a lightweight boat like the Porta-bote I would think Weaver Snap Davits and standoffs would be ideal.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The Weaver Davit folks just confirmed that their system will not work with Porta-Botes. Here is their response: ...sorry the PortaBote will not work with our system due to the dinghy will fold up when its on it side and the material that it is made out of when drilling thought it the dinghy will crack.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

If the Porta-bote will collapse if placed on its side then no mount that holds it this way work. There are davit systems on the market that suspend a dinghy above and aft of the transom in an upright, horizontal position that then pivot down to place the dinghy in the water just clear of the swimstep but I suspect that for the cost of the davit system and installation you could buy whole bunch of Porta-botes. So it's probably not cost effective to use one of these systems for that purpose. But they would work just great.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #27
Grand Vizier

Rusbet, if I understand correctly the concern is that the PB will crack if drilled.* Won't happen, can't happen given the material it is constructed of which is designed to fold some 1000's of time without cracking.* I haven't tried it, but the 12' has a center thwart on which the thing shold tip just fine.* It will be a lot more flexible than a stiff boat, but they are so light if you have a transom step there should be a way to attach it.* Weaver knows their product, but it doesn't sound like they are familiar with the PB if they think it will crack.

If this is helpful, when the thing fills up with crud I'll tip it up on its transom and power wash it clean.* 3000 psi doesn't bother it, so it's not a leaf.

Marin, in our 12' we sometimes carry 2 bicycles, 2 dogs and the 2 of us.* We probably look like refugees from Haiti in transit, but we get there and back.* Force 8 and above excepted, of course.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

In addtion to the cracking when drilled the Weaver folks said the boat will collapse (fold flat) if tipped on its side. But I would think if the seats are left in place it won't do this. Do the seats fit or snap into their mounts in such a way that they can't fall out when the boat is on its side or even slightly upside down?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #29
Grand Vizier

Trust me, it won't crack, so I don't know what the concern is there.* The wood for the transom is held in place with SS bolts, which pass through drilled holes.* These take the thrust of the 3 hp outboard.* The thwarts go into plastic receivers and are held in place with SS pins.* Ours is 15 years old, so they may have changed this but the theory is the same.* So I think the answer is that it really can't collapse if tipped on its side and is resting on the thwart.* If you rolled is while on its side to the stern, the beam would probably compress no more than an inch or so.

Tell you what, I am traveling this week but should be on the boat on Saturday.* I'll snap the beastie together, lay it on its side and take some pictures so you can decide for yourself.

One other disadvantage - the 12' will plane with a 3 hp motor.* On plane, it is pretty scary because you're doing 20 knots in a tupperware container that doesn't exactly track like a normal boat.* I always feel like the slightest mis step with the outboard and I'd be over the side.* That's why I always drink quite a lot before going fast.* Steadies my nerves.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Porta Bote

Quote:
Marin wrote:

In addtion to the cracking when drilled the Weaver folks said the boat will collapse (fold flat) if tipped on its side. But I would think if the seats are left in place it won't do this. Do the seats fit or snap into their mounts in such a way that they can't fall out when the boat is on its side or even slightly upside down?

The seats will not fall out.* The are each secured with*two pins when the boat is set up.* The seats are what keep s the boat from folding.* Seats and the transom which is bolted in place.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 02:57:47 PM
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #31
Guru

Porta Bote

Here are a couple photos.* I don't think it looks that bad.* The photo shows the foam floatation.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 02:58:34 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collage.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	5003   Click image for larger version

Name:	new02.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	5004  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I got an email from the Porta-Bote folks and they confirm that their boat does not collapse when placed on its side.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I agree Ron,

Looks better than most rubber duckies.

You could attach plywood pads as stiffeners but one could perhaps ruin the folding feature. Ron*** ...why don't you put it on your upper deck w a mini davit crane?
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #34
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

It probably will last much longer than a rubber ducky. Pull it up a rocky beach - no problem. I'm sure it can tough it out at the town dock/landing way better than an inflatable.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

. Ron*** ...why don't you put it on your upper deck w a mini davit crane?

That's a thought but with the railing and bimini frames it might be difficult.

We almost always operate from the upper deck so It would be pretty much in the way.* Lots of times one will drive and the other lie down on a pad on the deck.

At this point, I am leaning towards a foldable Zodiac and 2HP Honda 4 stroke.* Two of my friends have that combination and they like it.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #36

City: Hampton
Vessel Name: Spirit of Whitby
Vessel Model: Camano
Same Boat / Same Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I have a 12' Porta Bote and 5HP outboard.* This was actually my first boat.* I haven't used it much lately, but it occured to me that it might make a good dingy for my Camano if I could tow it behind.* In theory, I could break it down and stow it on deck but I know from setting it up on dry land that that would be difficult at best.

Use would be the AICW and adjacent rivers and sounds.* Speed would usually be 7 knots or so.

So - Any advice, suggestions,*or stories of towing a 12 foot rigid boat with outboard attached would be appreciated.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 08:04:30 PM
Hi,
I note your post is now old and you will have worked out the answer already;I have the same boat, a Camano, and the same dinghy - an 11ft Portaboat! I found, very quickly, that the Portaboat could NOT be towed, without turning turtle! However, it travels well on my cockpit hardtop and can be easily (+\-) stowed on the swim platform - vertically!
What was your experience?
Safe cruising,
Brian Orr
VP East Coast Camano Owners
brian.orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Throughout my boating experiences I've towed plenty of small boats short or long distances at various speeds on shoreline ocean conditions and inland waters. Also had a dink or two on stern davits or loaded on deck... not my preferred methods. I favor towing for reasons. Stern or bow into a slip was always quite manageable... one way or the other. End dock is a breeze. Shortest/lightest I've been involved with towing was a 6'6" fiberglass "Pixie" dink and 1.7 hp "Mighty Mite" o/b. Largest is our current 14' 8" Fiberglass Crestliner with 50 hp Johnson o/b. Best towing tender/runabout I ever experienced was 13' 3" Boston Whaler with 40 hp Johnson o/b. Proper/comfortable length of tow line is dependent on tow speed/wake, sea conditions, locality, and hull design of boat being towed. I've always found that o/b secured in up, straight line position works best for several reasons. For towing small craft the use of increase/decrease of tow line length can make it all OK. Proper fastenings and line to handle any conditions that may arise are also very important... I know, been there done that regarding broken tow line in large swells with choppy waters atop in New England ocean waters - - > No Fun Reattaching!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.orr View Post
Hi,
I note your post is now old and you will have worked out the answer already;I have the same boat, a Camano, and the same dinghy - an 11ft Portaboat! I found, very quickly, that the Portaboat could NOT be towed, without turning turtle! However, it travels well on my cockpit hardtop and can be easily (+\-) stowed on the swim platform - vertically!
What was your experience?
Safe cruising,
Brian Orr
VP East Coast Camano Owners
My solution - The portaboat is in the yard and I purchased an inflatable dinghy and a 2 HP Honda motor. It works for me and is the same solution a couple of my slip neighbors came up with.

On a recent trip I saw a trawler with a portaboat stored vertically on the swim platform. I think I would have a very hard time handling a 55 lb 5 HP motor from my boat. That's part of the reason for my choice. We've used the inflatable seberal times and it has worked well.