New Dinghy help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
timjet wrote:koliver wrote:
Tim:

If you are now looking for a good RIB, how are you going to carry it? If you are planning to use Weaver davits, the total weight of the dinghy and outboard must not exceed the capacity of the attachment points on the dinghy (the weak link). You should use a transom swivel to allow your outboard to swing when the dinghy comes up, so it isn't laying on its side once secured.
*Since our boat came with Weaver davits and with our somewhat large swim platform we will stick with that. Don Moon's setup with picture at the beginning of this thread is similar to what we have.*

My dilemma right now is to decide which engine to use. We have two, a 3.5 merc which will not plane any boat and a 8 Johnson which will not really plane anyboat with more than one in it. I really consider the Johnson pretty much useless, it is to heavy to lift off and on the dinghy when it's in the water. The merc is no problem.*

My wife and I are discussing how important a planning dinghy is. We have not done enough extensive cruising to have determined that. The easy answer is to get the biggest and fastest dinghy we can. But I just don't know how we will use our boat and if a fast dinghy is really necessary. We are planing a 2 week cruise to Key West in May and the success or not of that cruise may well determine how we use our boat in the future.

But we need a dinghy before we go so a decision has to be made. We've decided on a $3M budget.*

My preference is to get a used boat and motor like Don got for around $3M and add a Weaver Lever for about $600 more. There are 2 on Craiglist both a Walker Bay inflatable late model with 15 hp Yamaha's. Problem is I'm not sure a Weaver Lever can be mounted on this boat as the Weaver web site advises the Lever is not for use on a Walker Bay. I'm not sure they are refering to the Walker Bay inflatable or hard dink. Got some questions to ask.

Next option is to get a new 10' AB for around $2800 and use the merc. If later we decide we prefer to go fast a larger O/B and Lever can be added.*

*Tim, phone Weaver directly.* They are very helpful.* Don't forget, I'm installing the Weaver arm on the transom to take weight off the tubes.* That with the Leaver arm being supported on the platform will carry about 2/3 of the weight.* I am also installing a ratchet in the overhead for lifting the weight.* All in all, they have a good system.* If it is needed a heavy duty bracket can be attached to the floor near the front snap davit.

"and a 8 Johnson which will not really plane anyboat with more than one in it. I really consider the Johnson pretty much useless, it is to heavy to lift off and on the dinghy when it's in the water."

Hmmm. I just sold a 1997 8 hp Evinrude 2 stroke (56#). I ran it on my 8'9" Mercury hardbottom and it would plane the two of us (and the 20# dog) but it had to be full bore to get up and relatively calm seas.

Then I tried it out on the 10'4" Achilles I just bought and it planed the boat EASILY with 2 of us and the dog. Less that half throttle we were on plane.

Tim, a coution if you are choosing Walker Bay. They are the lightest dinghy out there, and that lack of weight translates to tenderness and to lack of capacity for engine weight. A better bet, IMHO, is a heavier built RIB with capacity for a decent sized outboard.
Anecdotally, I watched a guy getting into a WB from the transom of a sailboat, he stepped on the back seat and put the transom under water.

koliver wrote:
Tim, a coution if you are choosing Walker Bay. They are the lightest dinghy out there, and that lack of weight translates to tenderness and to lack of capacity for engine weight. A better bet, IMHO, is a heavier built RIB with capacity for a decent sized outboard.
Anecdotally, I watched a guy getting into a WB from the transom of a sailboat, he stepped on the back seat and put the transom under water.
*I would second that in spades. At least for the 8' hard version. No better than a toy in my opinion, after having one for a cruising season. Never again.

Thanks guys. I'll rethink the 8 hp motor. I didn't think it was a strong enough motor, but it may need to be tuned up and the dink I was on constantly leaked.

Thanks Keith and Conrad about the Walker Bay observations. I only mentioned them because there are 2 for sale that were late models and had 15 hp motors. I'll keep looking.

Don, suncoast inflatables here in Clearwater didn't like the weaver lever. Said it worked but not well. Really didn't say exactly why, and when I pressed he said he actually never installed one. I talked to one of the workers, so I'm going to call Brad the owner and get his opinion. I'll call Weaver directly once a get a line on a inflatable so I can give them model and dimensions.

Tim, as far as I know the Leaver works as advertised.* It is easy to snstall and use.

One idea is a Nissan or Tohatsu 9.8 hp 2-stroke. This weighs in around 56# and will plane my Caribe 8.5' RIB with 2 people aboard. The Dinghy weighs around 120# or so.

Although these motors are hard to find as they are no longer imported to the USA, you might get lucky and get one on craigslist.

I do use doelfins which makes it pop up noticably faster. It will not plane 3 people, and goes like a bandit with just one.

I sometimes carry it on the swimstep with 2 weaver davits on the tube and one transom arm. I don't use a weaver leaver. It will hold fine that way with the motor sticking out, but we tow the dinghy 95% of the time during the cruising season (PNW).

good luck

Attachments

• boat 359.jpg
    boat 359.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom