Old 01-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Missing Davit Winding Mechanism puzzle

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
Janis, think about the type of tender you get carefully, especially the two main considerations. One, the weight, and how easy it will be to winch it up, bearing in mind the weight of outboard as well, which being able to leave in on the dinghy is the main benefit of the davit type of system. The other is how to keep the damn thing from gyrating back and forth and round about in a seaway, as that is where any type of inflatable tends to have issues, (although imaginative cross roping and tying can minimize it a fair bit), whereas a rigid type, like a tinny, which is almost certainly what the original owner was using, looking at those rubber unfriendly dinghy gun'l clamps, is much easier to fix firmly against movement in a seaway. Carey's Bullfrog is sort of in between in that respect, so he might come back in here and discuss that aspect a bit..?
What I would say is you would need a fairly light boat and motor for that manual system of retrieval, and I can vouch for how good a wee Honda 2.5Hp outboard is for lightness - also 4 stroke, so no oil/fuel mix to foul plugs, and air cooled, so no need to flush. However, if you want a go-fast dinghy, with 8hp or more on the back, then you would probably want to put a winder handle each side, which would need modification of the exit pulleys, unless you added a cross member between the davits, so you could lead both ends to one central double block, then drop them down to one winder system mounted on the inside of the gun'l maybe...? Interesting challenge eh what...? But this is all part of the fun of boating - solving this type of problem.
*OK Peter, you asked for it.*

My system is manual, and my dinghy is at the heavy end of what my existing system allows me to pick up. The Bullfrog is 425# with eleven gallons of fuel and the fifteen horse four stroke on board.

As to lifting, I utilize a pair of four sheave blocks at the stern and a triple at the bow. The lines run from the top block into pretty substantial jamb cleats, which allows me to lift one end of the boat a foot or so, then switch to the other end momentarily, and lift it a foot or two. Switching from one to the other a couple times has the boat all the way to the top. It only takes a minute or two, but not without some effort. The weight does not allow me to simply pull on the hoisting lines. It requires a leg assist. I wrap the lifting line around my waist, and then grip the main line and the tail line together with both hands tightly gripping the two parts of the line together. Then I put a foot on the gunwale, and push away. Adjusting the line twice, accomplishes about eighteen inches of lift, then I switch to the other line and repeat the process. When it's fully raised, I then cleat it off to the welded cleat adjacent to the jamb cleat.

Now, to finalize the setup, I tie diagonal lines from the far side of the dinghy back to the big boat. In my case, the bow line is attached to the forward, starboard side of the dinghy, and then goes to an attachment on the port stern of the big boat. These lines minimize dinghy swing when under way, however, I would like to switch to a line with no stretch, as they get loose and require adjustment. These two diagonals also serve to hold the dink tight against the ladder. In order to tighten this all as much as possible, I use the extra long tails of the diagonals to return to themselves at a point in the middle and pull all the lines together. I have on occasion added a short bow and stern line directly from the dink to the mothership as well.

I hope this helps!

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Missing Davit Winding Mechanism puzzle

Yes, thanks Carey. Great and graphic detail, and I'm sure it has helped a lot. For example, I think it will convince Janis to go for a lighter dink and motor, but that's fine, because that's probably all he/she (considered she - sorry wrong, it's 'he' - looked it up - is it Scandanavian...?) needs, anyway. Or - go for a fixed winder mechanism, as your heroics with rope wrapped round waist and foot on rail are not for the faint-hearted, and full marks for your tenacity. Just reading your post made me feel tired. I don't know about Janis, but, to paraphrase the policeman from 'Lethal Weapon', "I'm too old for that s**t!"

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 29th of January 2012 09:12:34 PM

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
Yes, thanks Carey. Great and graphic detail, and I'm sure it has helped a lot. For example, I think it will convince Janis to go for a lighter dink and motor, but that's fine, because that's probably all he/she (considered she - sorry wrong, it's 'he' - looked it up - is it Scandanavian...?) needs, anyway. Or - go for a fixed winder mechanism, as your heroics with rope wrapped round waist and foot on rail are not for the faint-hearted, and full marks for your tenacity. Just reading your post made me feel tired. I don't know about Janis, but, to paraphrase the policeman from 'Lethal Weapon', "I'm too old for that s**t!"

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 29th of January 2012 09:12:34 PM
It's really quite simple and easier than it sounds. My whole goal in this setup was simplicity, and nothing electrical to corode and fail.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: NightinGayle
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 42

Carey/Peter
Thanks for the effort you have gone to to detail the whole enchilada! And I think I can make my davit setup work in a similar way. Like Peter I can almost hear the grunts as Carey pulls up his Bullfrog. I wouldnt envisage anything that heavy at all. Probably around 260lbs (120Kg) for dinghy including motor - aluminium hull RIB and 15HP. Currently I have two triple sheave blocks at each end. Would you think this setup would be workable to manage the raising/lowering without undue strain? Im a pretty fit 60yrs young kinda guy. (BTW Janis is Latvian for John - my folks emigrated to Australia after WWII.)

Cheers
Janis
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #25
TF Site Team

Latvia eh...well that's almost Scandinavian...looks across a small sea at it anyway...
What is boating like down in those Gippsland Lakes, Janis?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Peter
Since prior to owning Gemma I had a 3.8m tinny that I used for fishing on the Murray River I wasnt really ready for the challenges of full on sea going activity. Consequently the coincidence that the PO had Gemma on the Gippsland Lakes was a great advantage for me in that the waters are much more benign than in the Bass Strait. There are 3 huge interconnected lakes and four river systems that converge to form 350 square Kms of navigable waters. So there is lots of variety - lots of arms to anchor, lakes to traverse and rivers to explore and fish. We often beach on purpose, tie up to some trees and overnight. There are areas protected from wind as the winds from the Antarctic can get quite intense and whip up whitecaps on the lakes quite quickly. There is also a very thin 100-200m strip of land, more like sand dunes that along the coast separate the lakes from the ocean so its quite easy to berth at provided jetties or beach and stroll over to do some ocean fishing. Heaps of diversity.

The plan is to build up my skills to then venture out across the Lakes Entrance bar to the ocean and either island hop to Tasmania or take a deep breath and steam for some 12 hours to get to the first eastern port at Eden and then work up the coast. Lots of folk do this so there is no drama if conditions are right. With only two and a half years of intermittent use of Gemma (as I live and work 3.5 hours away in Melbourne) I need to get my skills up, take a deep breath, tighten the sphincter and go... Not yet sure when that will be.

I must say this forum is a great way for me to get some accelerated learning.

Cheers
Janis
Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Gemma wrote:
Carey/Peter
Thanks for the effort you have gone to to detail the whole enchilada! And I think I can make my davit setup work in a similar way. Like Peter I can almost hear the grunts as Carey pulls up his Bullfrog. I wouldnt envisage anything that heavy at all. Probably around 260lbs (120Kg) for dinghy including motor - aluminium hull RIB and 15HP. Currently I have two triple sheave blocks at each end. Would you think this setup would be workable to manage the raising/lowering without undue strain? Im a pretty fit 60yrs young kinda guy. (BTW Janis is Latvian for John - my folks emigrated to Australia after WWII.)

Cheers
Janis
*Janis

I have no doubt that you can handle 260# with the blocks you have. Just grunt a little when you reach maximum strain.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #28
TF Site Team

Well, when you decide to venture out Jan, (can we call you Jan?), you certainly have the right boat for it. I reckon that yours could handle anything you are likely to encounter if you choose your weather, and bay hop up the coast. Mine's only a 34 footer and has been to the Whitsundays a couple of times, under PO's I must add in all honesty, as I still don't have the time, like you - blasted work. I know other Clipper 34 owners who have been down to Sydney and back.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Peter
Call me Jan by all means. Perhaps serendipity will strike and there will be time to take the plunge and go up the coast before too long. However an equally formidable challenge will be convincing the Admiral to take the plunge too. She has an aversion to winds above 10 knots and suffers from a combination of sea sickness and trepidation as soon as the waves hint at picking up a bit. I am vigorously working on lifting her confidence levels - very slow progress though.

Cheers
Janis
Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #30
TF Site Team

Same reason we won't be taking Lotus up the the Whitsundays, Jan, even when I have the time. However, the 2iC is prepared to hire one up there, and when one considers the fuel and time factor.....