Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #21
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: Matching the dinghy to cruising style

I have a 9 ft RIB Chinese made Seabo.Got it cheep at Sam's club $350.00They had a bunch of them and couldn't sell them at the price of $1200.00 they were asking.*I use a 2h.p. Yamaha.

It gets me ashore and with the hard bottom I needn't worry about barnacles and rocks on the beach.

I like the Yamaha because I can say.**Hand me the outboard.

I hate trying to stand in the dink and wrestle a 30 or 40 pound outboard onto the transom.like on my Buddy's boat.

It's a whew!!! Major production.

SD*

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #22
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Quote:
Per wrote:
lately i have been considering how much fun it could be to have a larger Caribe with 25hp centersteering... so many more possibilities and recreational uses also.
but dont think i could store it on the boat unless i get a hoist set up... or i could just tow it?
*Exactly. *Using a larger, more comfortable boat with enough horses to do quick passes or settle in for an afternoon of canal and cove exploring, comfortable seats and bimini all appeal to me. *I still have the original boom set-up which, according to Krogen, is good for 600 lbs., but I'm already looking at a heftier setup that would ease the handling aboard, but again, would cost more and need more maintenance too. *Keeping it simple may mean keeping it less comfortable.

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #23
Guru

Matching the dinghy to cruising style

I just replaced my 8' Apex with a used 11'3" Achilles. I use the same Weaver davit system that was in place for the Apex. The yokes had to be repositioned on the new Achilles however.*

I like the bigger dinghy and was concerned that it was too big. No so. It does not overhang our 13'3" beam and is just slightly heaver than the much smaller Apex. I took a great amount of time in finding the best position for the yokes on the new dinghy and it paid off. *The new Achilles does not have the double floor, but the PO put a outdoor carpet cut to fit and this makes it much more comfortable. The dinghy has custom made chaps which makes it look terrible (beat up), but protects the 17" hypalon tubes and will perhaps twart thieves due to its looks. Bigger is better and we can carry us two, the dog and two bikes in one run.*

We have not settled on a motor arrangement yet. I like Don's weaver lever setup, but have not decided yet if I need the bigger motor. I have a 3.3 HP Merc that moves the ding at disp speeds and is very easy to mount and unmount. Our 8 HP Johnson will plane with just me, but even with all 3 of us is much faster. I can but don't want to routinely mount and unmount this much heaver motor. The weaver lever system will work well for the Johnson and costs about $1000 and would solve the mount un-mount issue.*

We just completed a 13 day Key West trip and didn't find we needed the bigger motor. However, we plan on doing the Abacos next year. Don, would you recommend the bigger motor there?

-- Edited by timjet on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 12:58:46 PM
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
timjet wrote:
We just completed a 13 day Key West trip and didn't find we needed the bigger motor. However, we plan on doing the Abacos next year. Don, would you recommend the bigger motor there?

-- Edited by timjet on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 12:58:46 PM
*Tim, you will absolutely love the Abacos.* Is a large dinghy engine necessary?* No.* We did quite well with a 3.5 hp Tahotsu.* If you want to do some long legged exploring and get out to some far reefs the larger engine is great.* For harbors and short hops not necessary.* You should do fine with what you have.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #25

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Matching the dinghy to cruising style

For us, the Takacat is the best dinghy we've ever had.

It's light (60lb), very stable and, with a 5hp Yamaha, very fast. *It has a flat, dry floor and*I couldn't imagine us every going back to a monohull of any sort. It's too early to comment on durability but we keep it covered when on board*because, in this part of the world, inflatables are damaged by UV light more than anything else.

We hoist it onto the cabin top, complete with outboard, for longer passages, but have found it tows quite happily in*moderate seas at 9.0kn.

The repeated edits are due to my bad spelling and grammar!

-- Edited by Bendit on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 05:38:32 PM

-- Edited by Bendit on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 05:40:08 PM

-- Edited by Bendit on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 05:42:09 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	takacat oneperson.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	6255   Click image for larger version

Name:	takacat 2 person_480x299_lite_122.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	6256   Click image for larger version

Name:	takacat+carry.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	6257   Click image for larger version

Name:	takacat.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	6258  
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #26
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Shrimp,

"A little off topic but I noticed in your last pic that you painted your shaft and props.

Is that prop speed? How to you attach your shaft zinc?

Are your props Aluminum or B"

No we don't bother with prop speed, used to use it .but made no difference so the running gear gets the same treatment as the rest of the underside.

Props are cast bronze, 3 blade 24"*Michigan Federal ,16 " pitch

In the pitcure we had got a little ahead of our selves, painted everything before we thought about the anodes. My fault, I promised the crew that once we were finished lunch and the beers were on me, there was no stopping them. After lunch we sanded back and attached the anodes.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc_0931.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	6259  
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #27

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler

Last summer we down sized from a 14' Duroboat with center console and a screaming 30 hp Mercury -- to an 8' Portland Pudgy with 2hp Honda. The skiff was ideal for exploring and speeding between anchorage and distant locations... but*we love the pudgy for so many reasons; it sails with grace and*rows with*ease, it doubles as a lifeboat (high free board, full length keel, flat floor inside) and it can take a beating on the rocks (double hulled!)*Best of all, I can*stow it on the boat deck*for longer passages or*tow her*behind on short hops.*The Portland Pudgy does it all!*
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stern view with pudgy.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	6260  
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
Bendit wrote:
For us, the Takacat is the best dinghy we've ever had.

It's light (60lb), very stable and, with a 5hp Yamaha, very fast. *It has a flat, dry floor and*I couldn't imagine us every going back to a monohull of any sort. It's too early to comment on durability but we keep it covered when on board*because, in this part of the world, inflatables are damaged by UV light more than anything else.

We hoist it onto the cabin top, complete with outboard, for longer passages, but have found it tows quite happily in*moderate seas at 9.0kn.

The repeated edits are due to my bad spelling and grammar!
*Hey Jeff, I like the look of that as a dinghy alternative.* If I ever have to replace my trusty Tinker Tramp sailing inflatable, (built right there in Auckland actually), and I guess I will eventually, as I bought it in 1985, your Takacat looks a great candidate.* It would sit in the same mounts on the transom as my tinker, which as it happens, no longer sails, as I pinched the mast to mount my Airbreeze,**** Where did you get it from if I may ask, and approximate price?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #29
Veteran Member

maybe something like this.

http://www.crystalbayboats.com/Cryst...r-Company.html
flashwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #30

Hi Peter,

The Takacat is designed here in Auckland and made in China (isn't everything).

Ours is the Lite 3m version and cost around $1800 NZD. There is also a Lite 3.3m,

All details at www. takacat.com*

Cheers,
Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Looks good. Wonder if they are available here in Oz?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #32
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

After giving it some thought, if/when we head North, we will need something that can be used as a Live Raft, so will probable replace the rowing/sailing dink with a plastic tube dink like the Bull Frog, Pudgy that can be used as a Life Raft.*

I can not justify the cost of a Life Raft that can only be used as a life raft.* As our boating location/change so do the dinks.* Do any of you have a Life Raft besides the dink?***

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #33

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:
After giving it some thought, if/when we head North, we will need something that can be used as a Live Raft, so will probable replace the rowing/sailing dink with a plastic tube dink like the Bull Frog, Pudgy that can be used as a Life Raft.*

I can not justify the cost of a Life Raft that can only be used as a life raft.* As our boating location/change so do the dinks.* Do any of you have a Life Raft besides the dink?***

*P/F,

If I had room and didn't mind the expense/maintenance required, would probably have a separate life raft.** An inflatable is the next best thing to a dedicated life raft.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #34

Peter,

Try contacting Greg through the website at sales@takacat.com