Livingstone Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
I read some posts on the livingstone dinghy in the firearms thread.

I took delivery of*a nine foot*Livingston*a few months ago and woul like to point out*something I*was not happy with.

The dinghy perfoms fine with the 6 hp merc. 4 stroke, it will plane, very fast,*with*me alone*but not with the two of us. That is not a problem, it is very stable and has a*good load carrying capacity.*

The problem I have is with the drain from the area in front of the seat to the transom drain overboard. there is a logical spot for the drain in a small sump just in front otf the seat, for some reason the drain tube is not located there but in a spot about 3 inches higher so water collects forward of the seat. When I recieved the dinghy I asked about that they suggested drilling a hole and inserting a hole in the front and rear of the seat side so the water could drain aft. But due to the configuration a drill will not fit inot the sump area drilling on an angle could go through the hull. they did suggest using a dremel tool to do the work, even that they would work with me if*I brought it to a fiberglass shop*(I didn't trust one around here to not drill through the hull)*to have it fixed*but in the end I just filled the area in with bondo. The hull does collect some water which rapidly gets cruddy in our high temps and humidity. I now regret not having the tube put in at some fiberglass shop.*The sad thing is the a drain tube could have been very easily installed before glassing the seat in place.

I did find some small holes in some of the hulls floor joints which let water collect under the fwd.*floorboard. I sealed them with JB weld

I suspect*the drain issue*may have been a design snafu which slipped by during their move to the new facility in N. Carolina?

Maybe this has been corrected? I would ask if it hasn't insist they do something*before shipping.

Here are some photos please let me know if there are any questions. the firs three are of the fwd portion the last is of the transom drain.

Attachments

• livingston drains 001.jpg
    livingston drains 001.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 260
  • livingston drains 003.jpg
    livingston drains 003.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 157
  • livingston drains 004.jpg
    livingston drains 004.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 158
  • livingston drains 005.jpg
    livingston drains 005.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 250
Steve,

Check your PM for a note from me.

I think all Livingston have that low point to collect water.* The best way is to fill the area with epoxy with a filler, up to the hole so water can not collect.** I have not filled that asrea as I use it to pump out the water as its about 1" deep, so what water reemain is in that area.* Beside the area behind the seat is where I put/store stuff, so*the little bit of water does not bother me.*

I just*got the 25 hp merc engine yesterday, the compete fuel system had to be clean/replace from the fuel tank to the spark plugs.* Fuel tank emptied/cleaned, fuel hose, fuel pump, carb rebuild, injectors and spark plugs because of ethinal fuel damged the rubber.* At the same time I also had him replace the water pumps so now its completely built.

I bought the 12 ft mid consel livingston, 25 hp motor, 4 hp motor*and trailer for $1,200 bucks.***The bill for engine* was 725 bucks.* )-;* *

They have changed the seat placement. On my much older 9 ft, the seat is right at the transom so I don't have this problem.

I can see why you don't like this. It would be a bit of a job but carefull grinding could open up the well again and then use the dremel to open a hole on the forward and aft seat sides so water can just run through. A vauum cleaner can pick up the dust as you go and avoid one of the big messes of just letting it fly.

This should have been caught by Livingston though and it's odd they didn't since they considered drain through, just in the wrong spot.

I still like my dingbat. Hope you get this sorted out to your satisfaction.

Maybe it would be easier to get one of these to empty the sump periodically.

65193.jpg

-- Edited by FlyWright on Wednesday 18th of May 2011 09:37:41 AM

Here is the answer I received from the factory in NC.

"Thanks for the info!* This boat*(Model 910)*wasn't built by the old company and we're not doing the floor the same way. The floor goes all the way to the seat so that little area is covered. If you want come by the factory tomorrow and have a look that is fine with me."

Meaning they do not do it the same was as the one in the picture.

download.spark

http://www.livingstonboats.com/boats_9.html

I find the low area an advantage as you can put the pump in the low area and suck out most of the water so it does not slosh around in the boat.* Also with the seat pull forward it keeps most of the water behind the seat, and with the seat pull forward makes steering with the motor easier.* There are more pluses than negatives.* **

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom