Lehr Outboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
Any have experience with these? Need to get a new motor for the dink.

PM member Hopcar...he sells I believe and has some customer feedback..

So far the reports are very positive....but then again...I know a lot of people who have little or no problem with traditional gas engines....like me for one.

The only gasoline on the boat is for the dink. It is intriguing to use the same bottles for the grill and dink thus eliminating that gas can.

Thanks for the tip.

no need to fear gasoline...it's carried by millions of vehicles and boats every day in complete safety....

I looked at them at a boat show. Your not carrying one of the small 1lb cans that the BBQ uses. You're going to use the 20lb version that is used on land based BBQ s. The tank is bigger than the motor, that's what I didn't like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

I believe that you can use the small BBQ tanks or the 20s. Hopcar can confirm or go to the Lehr website and check.

Camp fuel tanks are probably adequate for short hops, not much more. Probably equivalent to a pint of gasoline, as propane has lower heat content. To cover any distance, a big remote tank needed. On the plus side, cleaning carbs (major PITA on four stroke gassers) should not be an issue.

I went retro, and bought a 1970's two stroke evinrude from a fresh water county. Looks brand new and rock solid reliable. Smelly and messy, though.

I have a smaller, I believe 1 or 2 gallon propane tank that is awesome to use for a Magma, I use a fitting to convert to a BBQ that normally uses the smaller disposable bottles. I really dislike throwing those away. My small propane tank can be filled at a service station just like those much larger 20s.
On another note, I often see the tanks to the dinks strapped to the swim step so they are not in the way or in any danger...

Not quite sure what all the worry about gasoline is...most people sleep in their house with a car full of gas in the garage right under their bed...plus a half dozen other little tanks from spare cans to weedwackers, lawnmowers, etc...etc...

A little care and common sense and carrying gas in approved containers all over the exterior of you boat shouldn't be an issue....

I used a 5 hp last year on a small dinghy and found it a suitable replacement for a gas engine. I don't think it is quite up to the quality of a Yamaha or Honda, but it runs well. I only used the 1 lb bottles and generally got around 45 minutes out of each one running at about 1/2 throttle or less. I could run through one at WOT in about 20 minutes, but there is not a lot of reason to do that. The only problem I ran into was freezing up a 1lb bottle after a 15 minute run at WOT. I don't think that would happen with a bulk tank.

The main reason for propane over gas is we cooked with propane and use it for the grill. In addition, I converted my Honda EU2000 to run on propane so do not need to carry gas. I have a composite 10 lb tank that I have for the generator and backup for cooking but didn't use it last summer at all.

Tom

Psn it is not an issue with gasoline, more of an interest in minimizing the amount of different fuels on board.

In a perfect world I would have one source type for all equipment. Main, generator, heat, stove and dink could be diesel or gas. Since Ebbtide has a diesel main that would be my preference. Ain't gonna happen! Next best is to try and consolidate as much as is realistically possible.

I have read several not positive reviews around the Web and wanted to get some real world opinions from the TF gang.

Thanks folks,
Bob

Also virtually 0 emissions. Apparently the output from an outboard is equal to many cars.

Hi Guys, I just spent five days working the Lehr booth at the Miami boat show. The comments in this thread so far seem right on target. The run time that Tom reports for the five on the one pound bottle is very believable. It falls right below what the factory claims, they say 1/2 hour at WOT.

I own a 2.5 that I use to push two inflatables and I'm very happy with it. I switched to propane to replace a gasoline engine that drove me crazy cleaning the carb each time I wanted to use it.

I'm building a 14 foot skiff that I plan to put a 9.9 or 15 on.

The advantages I see to propane are that it is so clean to handle and burn, it never gums up the carb, the spark plugs stay clean, the oil stays clean, it pollutes much less, and you can store it forever without it going bad and it's normally cheaper than gasoline. Oh yeah, propane engines are real easy to start.

The engines run so clean that we were allowed to start one in the convention center. None of the gasoline engines could do that.

The only draw back I see is that propane isn't available on every corner.

My experience is that I can get about 2 to 2-1/4 hours out of a 1 pound can at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. It will empty it in about an hour at WOT. The literature says 2.5 hours.

I usually use one of the 11 pound fiberglass tanks. In theory I could get 22 hours or more from that tank.

Lehr is offering boat show rebates for the rest of the week for motors bought from dealers at the Miami show. $100 on the 2.5, $125 on the 5.0 and $150 on the 9.9. In addition I know of one dealer who had boat show special prices.

Tom I'd like to talk to you about your propane conversion for the Honda 2000i. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

HopCar,

The kit I used was from propanecarbs.com. It's not cheap but I went with the tri-fuel one that allows the generator to run on gas, propane, or natural gas. PM me if you want to know more.

Tom

no need to fear gasoline...it's carried by millions of vehicles and boats every day in complete safety....

Safety is not the hassle the difficulty of finding non ethanol gas. that wont be dead in the can in 30 days is the problem.

For the lady of the boat to be happy she must be able to operate the dink solo.

A non start for a carb de water drain does not make a happy lady .

Everything in life is a compromise. We deal with pluses and minuses all the time with boats. For sure a short hop to shore from anchorages with a limited use outboard beats dealing with stale gas, especially the issues of ethanol if that's all that you can acquire.

Sadly the small dinghy engine industry is limited in the area of ample hp and liteweight in the same package for the bigger more friendly dinghies for gunkholing. Old folks;) have to consider their backs too when mounting and remove an outboard for storage in some applications.

As usual I also consider service when any engine ages. So price is a consideration in order to justify anything that may not be capable of being serviced or worked on easily either.
Luckily I found one of the last 8hp Yamaha two strokes in 09[I know some hate premix] and the balancing act meets my criteria in this area.

Fifteen minutes tops fixes the carb if I become negligent in running it every two weeks or so. Simplicity rules the day for me anyway.

Last edited:
Gasoline can be relatively safe if handled safely. Propane is not a lot different in that respect, I know many people who use propane for portable grills on boats and store the propane canisters improperly.

Three or four years ago I bought a Honda 2HP 4 stroke outboard for my dinghy. If I were buying one today I would seriously consider the propane outboard because of the issues with gasoline gumming up an unused engine and going "stale". Propane doesn't do either.

I would have liked to been able to buy a small two stroke because it's lighter (I have to lift the motor on and off the dinghy) and the fact that it can be stored in any position. Sadly, the EPA took that choice away from me.

The only downside I see with propane is, it's not as easy to find on the water as gasoline so if you run out, you'll be rowing back to your boat. Electric outboards have the same issue.

I run my 4 stroke out of gas when I don't use it for a couple days...the gas in the tank is from early December and is ethanol.

No problems after years of similar service....as an assistance tower I see the problems with ethanol gas (or not as it's not the issue people make it out to be) almost every day from April to December....

Keep your tanks clean, fuel less than 3-4 months old and run your carb dry or drain it...you shouldn't have any issues.

Keep your tanks clean, fuel less than 3-4 months old and run your carb dry or drain it...you shouldn't have any issues.

I also have not had problems with ethanol laced gasoline. We have been forced to use it here in Ct for many years now. It takes getting used to that's all. I use "sta-bil" and it works well for keeping gas fresh at least that's been my experience.

When it's time for a new outboard, I probably will consider a propane powered one though. Esp if they will still be using the small camp bottles. I have an adapter to refill them from a 20 lb tank, been doing that for 20 plus years for the grill.

I am able to find "real" gasoline, not adulterated "motor fuel" in my area at a few stations. My marina even sells it but I hate to go to all the trouble for one gallon.

So far I haven't had fuel problems even though I don't run the system dry or anything like that.

Ethanol performs the same function that dri-gas we used to add to our tanks to get rid of water.

Ethanol is also a good gum and goo stripper for tanks and carbs...

Sure it has it's problems but it has it's advantages....manage it right and I know plenty of boaters who have no issues at all with it and when I inspected the inside of the tow boats tanks after a couple years of ethanol...they looked brand new compared to the brown stained ones that never had ethanol in them.

It was the transition year or two that I saw most of the horror stories...:eek:

People with fiberglass gasoline tanks have had serious issues with ethanol laced fuel. It dissolves the tanks and does serious damage to the engines. "Improving" fuel by adding ethanol to gasoline has cost these folks thousands of dollars.

HopCar wrote;
"The advantages I see to propane are that it is so clean to handle and burn, it never gums up the carb, the spark plugs stay clean, the oil stays clean, it pollutes much less, and you can store it forever without it going bad and it's normally cheaper than gasoline. Oh yeah, propane engines are real easy to start."

Hop have you ever had the "pleasure" of cleaning the propane vaporizer chamber? They are on all the car conversions I've seen and I've cleaned several. VERY heavy propane stink. Don't have to do it often though. The Lehr must have such a canister too.

Last edited:
Eric, I've never had the pleasure of cleaning the vaporizer. The 2.5 doesn't have one, there is enough fuel line length that if liquid gets in, it vaporizes without one.

All of the larger motors have a water warmed one that is about 3/4" in diameter X 3" long made of stainless steel.

Hop,

I am about as far away from Miami as a guy can get and still be conus. Is the boat show special valid at West Marine?

Bob

I don't think it is valid at West. They didn't have much of a booth and didn't display the motors.
I just got an order from another fellow in Bellingham. He bought a 5.0 and with my boat show price and the Lehr rebate he saved a few bucks even paying $100.00 freight.
Send me a PM or an email with the engine you're interested in and I'll be glad to quote you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vaporizer, and I thought propane was clean. Thanks Eric, something else to look at. I don't think there is one on the 5 hp either. When mine froze up last summer after a 10 minute run at WOT, it started slowing down like it was running out of propane but never quit. After sitting for about 20 minutes everything was fine. As soon as it happened I was pretty sure what it was as the 1 lb tank was really frosted over.

A few years ago on a really cold day (-30F) I had the pleasure of starting the snow burning with a propane stove. It seemed the liquid flowed from the bottle to the burner through the bottom of the stove into the snow. The stove flared up so I shut it off and kicked into a snow bank. The snow where the stove was continued to "burn" for a couple of minutes. My first experience with liquid propane not in a tank.

Tom

Hop,

Thank you for the generous offer! I checked around here and West Coast Marine Services gave me their boat show price and got Lehr to give me the discount also. I am a believer in supporting local businesses so they got the sale. If and when we make it down your way please expect our business.

Bob and Jill

Want to have a tender race Bob? Maybe to fairhaven and back?? I need to fire it up soon - Thinking if this rain ever stops this weekend might be a good weekend to go to Friday Harbor or somewhere fun to walk and what not. Yesterday the weather report said 50 and sunny (on Sunday) today it's another story. I guess it's that time of the year you just check a day or so before the weekend....
Let us know how you like the new motor.

Back
Top Bottom