Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Ethanol performs the same function that dri-gas we used to add to our tanks to get rid of water.

Ethanol is also a good gum and goo stripper for tanks and carbs...

Sure it has it's problems but it has it's advantages....manage it right and I know plenty of boaters who have no issues at all with it and when I inspected the inside of the tow boats tanks after a couple years of ethanol...they looked brand new compared to the brown stained ones that never had ethanol in them.

It was the transition year or two that I saw most of the horror stories...

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
People with fiberglass gasoline tanks have had serious issues with ethanol laced fuel. It dissolves the tanks and does serious damage to the engines. "Improving" fuel by adding ethanol to gasoline has cost these folks thousands of dollars.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #23
Guru

Since weight was an issue, I went with the Honda 2.3
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
HopCar wrote;
"The advantages I see to propane are that it is so clean to handle and burn, it never gums up the carb, the spark plugs stay clean, the oil stays clean, it pollutes much less, and you can store it forever without it going bad and it's normally cheaper than gasoline. Oh yeah, propane engines are real easy to start."

Hop have you ever had the "pleasure" of cleaning the propane vaporizer chamber? They are on all the car conversions I've seen and I've cleaned several. VERY heavy propane stink. Don't have to do it often though. The Lehr must have such a canister too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #25
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Eric, I've never had the pleasure of cleaning the vaporizer. The 2.5 doesn't have one, there is enough fuel line length that if liquid gets in, it vaporizes without one.

All of the larger motors have a water warmed one that is about 3/4" in diameter X 3" long made of stainless steel.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #26
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Hop,

I am about as far away from Miami as a guy can get and still be conus. Is the boat show special valid at West Marine?

Bob
Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #27
Guru

I don't think it is valid at West. They didn't have much of a booth and didn't display the motors.
I just got an order from another fellow in Bellingham. He bought a 5.0 and with my boat show price and the Lehr rebate he saved a few bucks even paying $100.00 freight.
Send me a PM or an email with the engine you're interested in and I'll be glad to quote you.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #28
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Vaporizer, and I thought propane was clean. Thanks Eric, something else to look at. I don't think there is one on the 5 hp either. When mine froze up last summer after a 10 minute run at WOT, it started slowing down like it was running out of propane but never quit. After sitting for about 20 minutes everything was fine. As soon as it happened I was pretty sure what it was as the 1 lb tank was really frosted over.

A few years ago on a really cold day (-30F) I had the pleasure of starting the snow burning with a propane stove. It seemed the liquid flowed from the bottle to the burner through the bottom of the stove into the snow. The stove flared up so I shut it off and kicked into a snow bank. The snow where the stove was continued to "burn" for a couple of minutes. My first experience with liquid propane not in a tank.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #29
Guru

Hop,

Thank you for the generous offer! I checked around here and West Coast Marine Services gave me their boat show price and got Lehr to give me the discount also. I am a believer in supporting local businesses so they got the sale. If and when we make it down your way please expect our business.

Bob and Jill
Old 02-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #30

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Want to have a tender race Bob? Maybe to fairhaven and back?? I need to fire it up soon - Thinking if this rain ever stops this weekend might be a good weekend to go to Friday Harbor or somewhere fun to walk and what not. Yesterday the weather report said 50 and sunny (on Sunday) today it's another story. I guess it's that time of the year you just check a day or so before the weekend....
Let us know how you like the new motor.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #31
Guru

I'm in! Think a 90hp will hang off the back okay?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #32
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I went retro, and bought a 1970's two stroke evinrude from a fresh water county. Looks brand new and rock solid reliable. Smelly and messy, though.
I run 2 strokes as well. If you look for synthetic outboard oil you'll find it biodegradable and it burns clean too. Pull your plugs after a summer and look at them, provided you're using synthetic. They will look clean as new.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #33
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
The only negative I have seen on Lehr outboards was from a guy we met on our Bahamas trip last year, he bought a 5 hp (?) right before the trip, it ran fine for a bit then wouldn't start. No one over there would even touch it, according to him. Said it ruined his trip as he had no dinghy motor, he was pretty ticked off.

That said, I've dealt with Hopkins Carter both as a customer and as a vendor, I trust everything Parks says, he is a top notch retailer.

The same thing could have happened to a new gas motor, but he could have gotten someone over there (or anywhere in the world really) to work on it. Also, he should have run it a bit more before heading out.

Parts overseas could be a real issue as well.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I run 2 strokes as well. If you look for synthetic outboard oil you'll find it biodegradable and it burns clean too. Pull your plugs after a summer and look at them, provided you're using synthetic. They will look clean as new.
The Royal Purple oil has created huge problems in the mid range outboards after being sold as the perfect alternative.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #35
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Here is a website to locate ethanol free gas in your area. I always buy ethanol free gas for my small engines but it is easy to find in my area.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #36
Guru

Bob, I'm glad you got one. I think you'll enjoy it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call me.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #37
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I heard another story about a new 5HP unit that wouldn't start from Hopcar himself. Seems that new engines need "burped".

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #38
Guru

Thanks Doug, that was nice of you to say.

I'd bet money that the fellow who had trouble starting his Lehr had air in the line. For some reason they don't have the procedure to bleed the lines in the owners manual. If you get air in the line when installing the bottle or worse yet the long hose, you can pull your arm off before it will start. It takes less than a minute to bleed the air if you have the right tool, (paper clip) and know the trick.

A good dealer will test run the engine, show you how to bleed the air and adjust the idle before he turns it over to you. On my own engine, if it doesn't crank by the third pull I bleed the lines. Then it starts on the second good pull.

There is a phone number on the tiller that you can call if you ever have a problem. They can usually suggest a fix over the phone.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #39
Guru

Hi Larry, I wouldn't be surprised that the instructions are in the manuals now. I know they heard from me about it and I'm sure every other dealer. At the boat show they told me that they were making a little plastic tool to bleed the lines with that will be included with the engines in the future. A paperclip works fine. I have a little piece of stainless safety wire I keep under the hood if I ever need to bleed mine.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #40
Guru

Tom, The vaporizers that Eric was referring to are much larger than the ones on Lehr outboards. Propane has an odorant added that really stinks so you know if there is a leak. You almost never smell propane when dealing with a Lehr in normal use.

I'm guessing that when your engine slowed down the little bottle was about half full. Until the bottle is down by half it supplies liquid propane to the engine which is converted to vapor in the vaporizer. When the bottle gets down to half full it starts supplying vapor directly to the engine. Usually you won't notice any difference. If the can gets really cold, the liquid propane in the tank can't boil fast enough to supply enough vapor to run the engine at full speed.