Keeping water out of dink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Somewhere in the past I posted this for suggestions. I have a RIB dink on Weaver Davits and have always kept it in the water withe the bottom painted for reasons I won't get into now. Typically, when it rained during the week, one of my dock neighbors who is a live aboard would check it for me and pump it out if there was a chance it would spill over to the "sub floor", requiring me to lift the dink out of the water, a real PITA. Recently we moved to a new marina in Gulfport and I put this rig together for less than $100. I took a plastic battery box, used a spacer and tie wrapped a small Rule pump to the side. Riveted a 101 Water Witch switch, added a 3/4" hose and had it sprayed by a truck bed liner company for $25 cash. Works great, I figure once a month to charge the battery. Self contained and low maintenance.
img_90865_0_72e57ff21acd6a7d84d623fa0e515fe8.jpg

img_90865_1_84c30aab7043eb72b40ae27a94f9b5a3.jpg
img_90865_2_c1f99ca06468559e394d4eb22e351279.jpg

Nice rig. I would never have thought of that.

Are you in Gulfport Harbor, the city marina?
Is DJ still the Harbor Master?

Why did you spray the whole rig? Aesthetics?

Tony, they call it the Gulport Small Craft Harbour and it is truly overbuilt. When I get time I'm gonna put some info on Active Captain. It was just completed. Transient slips are available, fixed pier- but the the normal tidal range here is only a couple of feet. Twin 50 amp for electrical and a pump out at every slip. Psneeld- I was only concerned with the outside since it was going to be outside all the time. I was mostly concerned about the cheap plastic battery box and the pump housing. LineX took it in theirselves to spray the inside. Interesting enough- when putting it together I read the Water Witch info and it mentioned that if your bilge had only rainwater it may not trigger the switch. It relays on minerals in the water to get a reading. This concerned me- but chances are with the salt water environment and "acid rain" we probably have, I will probably be fine!

Don't know how resistant battery boxes are to UV since they usually sit in the dark, but coating the outside of the box with the liner should certainly help with the longevity of the thing. Good idea, I think.

They sit out in the open in a load of open outboards all over the map...they do OK...thought the truck coating might have been for some other reason.

Problem is the box is not going to sit there all the time. It will be picked up often when the dink is used and put on the swim deck. Ounce of prevention I hope. I'm sure the pump and switch are not designed to be in sunlight that much. Probably a little overkill, but I feel better that I invested the $25.

Nice rig. I would never have thought of that.

Are you in Gulfport Harbor, the city marina?
Is DJ still the Harbor Master?

Tony, they have George Manemann listed as the HM, haven't actually met him. Sounds like you have spent some time here?

Problem is the box is not going to sit there all the time. It will be picked up often when the dink is used and put on the swim deck. Ounce of prevention I hope. I'm sure the pump and switch are not designed to be in sunlight that much. Probably a little overkill, but I feel better that I invested the $25.
hey like I asked...It looks great!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom