Inflatable PVC or Hypalon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vessel Name
---
My last Dinghy was a PVC 10' with Alu floor boards and 5 PS OB. Lasted 8 years with me and went with the boat.

Now I am searching for a new one, choise is between a PVC 10'3" RIB with a 8 hp OB or a 10'3" Hypalon with a soft bottom and a 8 hp OB.

What is the major difference between PVC and Hypalon. I look again at a live expectance of 8-10 years.

Any ideas?

Cees

How is your wallet feeling? I bought the WM RIB310 in PVC last year for about $1440 brand new, the hypalon model was $650 more. We are seasonal and it hangs in the garage for 6 months. I have a 20 year old Evinrude 8HP that will push me about 20ish but add my 125 pound wife and we are only doing 12.

My last Dinghy was a PVC 10' with Alu floor boards and 5 PS OB. Lasted 8 years with me and went with the boat.

Now I am searching for a new one, choise is between a PVC 10'3" RIB with a 8 hp OB or a 10'3" Hypalon with a soft bottom and a 8 hp OB.

What is the major difference between PVC and Hypalon. I look again at a live expectance of 8-10 years.

Any ideas?

Cees

We had a Hypalon dinghy with a soft floor. You had to be careful getting in and out of the dinghy and the floor (PVC) was sticky after seveal years because of to much sun. I would go with a Hypalon RIB if you can manage the weight and cost.

We had a Hypalon dinghy with a soft floor. You had to be careful getting in and out of the dinghy and the floor (PVC) was sticky after seveal years because of to much sun. I would go with a Hypalon RIB if you can manage the weight and cost.

You'r completely right, but $$$$.

What is the rite difference between a RIB this side and a soft bottom, consedering these configurations?

What is the main difference between PVC and Hypalon?

Cees

Last edited:
My current Achilles hypalon inflatable boat is about 25 years old. Used hard almost daily. You will never, ever see anything approaching that kind durability with a PVC boat.

My current Achilles hypalon inflatable boat is about 25 years old. Used hard almost daily. You will never, ever see anything approaching that kind durability with a PVC boat.

Hi,

But what is the main difference between PVC and Hypalon?

Cees

The reason manufacturers developed PVC boats is because they can be made by machine. Not so with hypalon. Hypalon boats are made by hand. Why is one material so much more durable than the other? I don't know. I just know I would never by a PVC boat unless I didn't care about throwing it away in a few years.

The reason manufacturers developed PVC boats is because they can be made by machine. Not so with hypalon. Hypalon boats are made by hand. Why is one material so much more durable than the other? I don't know. I just know I would never by a PVC boat unless I didn't care about throwing it away in a few years.

As an engineer i know that 1+1=2

I can"t get hold off the big differce betwwen PVC and Hypalon.

Please help me(us)...

Cees

hypalondiagram.jpg

pvcfabric.jpg

PVC degrades rather quickly in sunlight. If you want to test it, put a piece of PVC line out in the UV rays. It will get brittle, and eventually disintegrate. Hypalon is a proprietary fabric developed by the DuPont Company. It is a layered fabric with a UV resistant covering. Because it is made up of layers of material it cannot be melted and welded like PVC. That is why the seams are taped together with another layer of Hypalon fabric. The material is costly, and the labor is costly. Also, a special cement is used for bonding.

Edit: Good info fstbttms. Daum, I'm a slow typist.

Last edited:
I have a hypalon AB 290. It is ten years old. It has spent every single day of its ten years out in the elements uncovered. It is still in great shape and use it regularly...although it is a bit dirty. Hypalon is worth every bit of the premium they ask.

Back
Top Bottom