Inflatable Dinghy Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I have a PVC inflatable and don't have an owners manual.
PVC inflatables should all be similar in regards to cleaning and maintenance.

What cleaning products should I use and most importantly, what should I NOT use.
Are there any types of waxes or finishes that will help protect and prolong the life of PVC other than a cover?

Thanks in advance.

Tony B

just be careful of anything with spray silicone/Teflon...the old zodiacs I believe fell apart when sprayed with old style armourall...I believe Zodiac put out a maintenance bulletin on it.

the silicone would migrate under the taped seams and they would fall apart.

.....I believe Zodiac put out a maintenance bulletin on it.....the silicone would migrate under the taped seams and they would fall apart.

Gee Thanks, now you tell me.

I have my 20 year old West Marine Seaworthy RIB where the oar locks were a hard black rubber that oxidized so bad it would come off black on your clothes and skin. I would wash and scrub it real good and it would stay clean for a few days and then come off on you again. I recently discovered through a new friend, to use 100% pure silicone. Rub it in with your finger and remove all excess. The oar locks are shiny black and don't oxidize anymore. So now they will come apart instead .:banghead:
What a friend you turned out to be.
Actually, thanks a bunch. This new info will stop me from making the same mistake on my newer dink.

Thanks Guys for all of the suggestions. Looks like all of the recommended products are pretty much the same.
I had to put an order in to partman.com for unrelated stuff and they just happened to have Starbrite Inflatable Boat and Fender Cleaner/Protector and so I ordered it.
I think I can get the 303 Protector from OReillys Auto.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom