Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Question I'm in the market for a dinghy- please comment on this one!

This one seems to have everything I am looking for and will save me thousands off of a new one. Comments?

2006 Walker bay Genesis310 w/ 15hp honda

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I had one exactly like this but mine was PVC and it got really sticky after a few years so I replaced it with a different and lighter Walker Bay model with Walker Bays help (half price).

I really liked the Genesis and with 15HP, it was a great performer. With 2 people on board, it was on a plane in no time. I don't think you will be sorry if you bought it, if it is Hypalon.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Looks pretty good. Make sure you run it and it handles ok, performs ok with expected load. Any time I see one of those fins added to a motor it means it was hard to plane out or had some other issue.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We have a Walker Bay Genesis hypalon 310 FTD, and now with a new 15-hp 4-stroke on it.

Before, with the smaller 5-hp outboard, it only ever planed once in it's life, and even that was partly a fluke (help from a larger overtaking boat's wake lifted us up a little).

With the new 15-hp motor, it runs like a scalded cat. Although maybe I'm just so un-used to planing that I'm too easily impressed

Anyway, we also like the boat otherwise, too. We like the dry sole (which is also easy on bare feet), the in-sole storage, and the in-seat storage. In fact, we bought an extra seat, partly to get more storage.

The Genesis hull form is a little complicated, so I had to do some custom modifications to our Trillogy dinghy mount to get the whole thing to ride nice. Not a huge issue.

-Chris
Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have a Walker Bay Genesis hypalon 310 FTD, and now with a new 15-hp 4-stroke on it.

Before, with the smaller 5-hp outboard, it only ever planed once in it's life, and even that was partly a fluke (help from a larger overtaking boat's wake lifted us up a little).

With the new 15-hp motor, it runs like a scalded cat. Although maybe I'm just so un-used to planing that I'm too easily impressed

Anyway, we also like the boat otherwise, too. We like the dry sole (which is also easy on bare feet), the in-sole storage, and the in-seat storage. In fact, we bought an extra seat, partly to get more storage.

The Genesis hull form is a little complicated, so I had to do some custom modifications to our Trillogy dinghy mount to get the whole thing to ride nice. Not a huge issue.

-Chris
Chris, will the boat hoist with a two davit system with the stock lifting points? How much does your boat weigh with motor, battery, fuel?
is your boat fairly similar to the one pictured? What do you think about the price?
Thanks
Scott
Old 06-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Guru

Yes, I think it would hoist on a two-davit system, although our mount isn't like that. Info from the Walker Bay website might confirm that, or maybe a call to them would be easy enough.

Ours is NOT like the one in the pic. We don't have the center console, nor the seat with the backrest. I lusted after that version, but finally decided against due to extra cost and weight. That could have gone 180į differently if my wallet would cooperate, though

Ours weighs 135-lbs (base boat), plus 106-lbs for electric start 15-hp Suzuki, plus whatever the additional seat (3-lbs?) and gas might way. And I haven't shopped for a battery for it, yet.

Again, you can check exact specs on the WB website, If you haven't already.

The center console version will take up to a 20-hp motor; surprised that one is only 15... but maybe the owner brought it from a previous boat or whatever...

You might want to price a new one, for comparison. I dunno if the ask on that one is good or not... and it might depend on the motor. FWIW, our new Suzuki outboard was least expensive (that I could find) from Porta-Bote, on line.

-Chris
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Bligh, it looks like the post was taken down. Did you buy it?
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Guru

Ugg. No, I was going to call today. I doubt I could even have gone to see it till this weekend. I'll have to move quicker on the next one. If it gets re listed ill try and run up to look at it. I'm surprised at the limited amount of used dingys for sale around here.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Ugg. No, I was going to call today. I doubt I could even have gone to see it till this weekend. I'll have to move quicker on the next one. If it gets re listed ill try and run up to look at it. I'm surprised at the limited amount of used dingys for sale around here.
Bligh, if that is hypalon fabric it is a good price. RIB with motor and trailer included. Looks good to me.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Dinghy's are portable and store as easily in a garage as the back of a boat. Most larger boat owners in this area tend to keep the dink when selling the boat has been my observation. Next time you find a good one on CL don't snooze because you will lose it almost every time.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
I was looking for a small RIB back in 2008 when I bought my current boat. I see from my notes that one of the possibles was a Walker Bay Genesis. I crossed it off the list because, although it was a RIB, it had a folding transom. This looked to me like a weak point as it seemed to be including a mechanism in an otherwise simple and fairly bullet-proof GRP hull. I don't know if the WB Genesis still has a folding transom, but if it does, it might be worth keeping in mind. BTW: I ended up buying a slightly used Caribe L9 (9'-1" LOA - exact length of my coach roof) and have been very happy with it. New ones are around $3k. CARIBE DINGHY LHT-9 ARCTIC GREY
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Guru

Well Im pretty sure I lost out on that one. I was looking at the defender prices for new built up ribs. They seem pretty competetive except they don't ship them. I was wondering if I could just buy the parts and assemble it myself in the garage.
I had so many calls to make about the boat today, but work has been busy and we had one of the work vehicles break down- I didn't have any time to get on the phone.
I'll have to add that call to the list.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
I was looking for a small RIB back in 2008 when I bought my current boat. I see from my notes that one of the possibles was a Walker Bay Genesis. I crossed it off the list because, although it was a RIB, it had a folding transom. This looked to me like a weak point as it seemed to be including a mechanism in an otherwise simple and fairly bullet-proof GRP hull. I don't know if the WB Genesis still has a folding transom, but if it does, it might be worth keeping in mind. BTW: I ended up buying a slightly used Caribe L9 (9'-1" LOA - exact length of my coach roof) and have been very happy with it. New ones are around $3k. CARIBE DINGHY LHT-9 ARCTIC GREY
That caribe looks pretty nice. It seems to have a interesting transom as well.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
That caribe looks pretty nice. It seems to have a interesting transom as well.
I have the Caribe 10X. What ever you get make certain it has the big 17" dia. tubes. They will keep you dry by sitting high, and they are so comfortable to sit on.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post

I see from my notes that one of the possibles was a Walker Bay Genesis. I crossed it off the list because, although it was a RIB, it had a folding transom. This looked to me like a weak point as it seemed to be including a mechanism in an otherwise simple and fairly bullet-proof GRP hull. I don't know if the WB Genesis still has a folding transom, but if it does, it might be worth keeping in mind.
I suspect the folding transom is a feature designed for those who often have to transport or store the boat deflated. I could, for instance, stuff ours into the back of our Suburban... before I bought a trailer for it.

The verdict is still out, for me, about whether it's a weak point or not. So far, no problems, and the hinge is serious hardware. That said, I think folding the transom (in it's early days) as put some stress on the joints between transom and tubes; one joint is slightly separated, as if slightly pulled away from the glue. Doesn't seem to matter to the boat's structural integrity, at the point, but I'm keeping an eye on it. And I wonder if that ever would have happened had I not cram ours into (essentially) the back of a car.

-Chris