Old 07-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I must admit my old 4 hp 2 stroke twin Merc ran very sweetly when recently serviced and with fresh petrol, but after sitting a while it was always a dog to start. I really love the near new 2.5hp 4 stroke Honda we now use, because although less powerful and less smooth, it is powerful enough, as we don't use it to travel far, and it is so light to throw on and off the dink, and being air cooled there is no flushing, and even when the fuel is a bit old, it still starts virtually first pull. To me those attributes are gold.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #42

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Send a message via Skype™ to IntervaleII
I have a 20hp 4 stroke Honda for the past 5 years and it has worked flawlessly. It has a screw plug to drain the fuel out of the bowl for extended periods. It starts up with a touch of the key every single time. I probably have logged 3-400 hours on it. Maybe I just got lucky, I am going to hold on to my good luck.

IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Eric, I care about fuel economy- I don't care to carry any more dinghy fuel than needed on my boat. If I can double (or better) the MPG on the tender, it means I have less need to go into port for gas.. When up north, I generally don't stop for fuel, only re-provisioning and sightseeing.

I find FI to be much easier to troubleshoot and repair than carbs, and more reliable. I can troll all day without fear of fouling plugs, and not worry about breathing the 2 stroke smoke.

And, you can lay down the 4 stroke engine on its side without damage.
Have to agree....for some the balance of carrying fuel in a smaller dingy that make distant runs becomes ore than an afterthought.

Laying one down require only a minimum of thought once you see how it's done.

Mine is as easy if not easier to start.

Some guests are very smoke sensitive.

Yes 2 stroke have their advantages...but I don't think they outweigh the 4 stroke advantages..and not all the 4 stroke advantages offset their good points....so if you have one or 2 "needs" that one has over the other...I can see going out of your way to get one.

Just the weight alone shouldn't tip the scales...there are ways to deal with it with mechanical assistance.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #44
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Bit more info (personal experience) on 2 strokes... from 1950's to today!

1. Never had a problem laying em on their side (actually back down front up their hood/chassis is generally designed for that)... some posts here say that is a no, no... I disagree!
2. I only run em dry of fuel if Im gonna leave em for over 6 months (never have prob starting my 2 strokes with touch of a button/key or one to three pulls of the rope)... I use small amount of Seafoam fuel line cleaner in one 6 gal tank twice per year and add oz Soltran to full gas tanks if to be left dormant for more than 6 months which basically never happens!
3. Point in fact: My current 50 hp 1975 Johnson electric start gets new pump impeller every two years and new bottom gear 90 wt oil every spring. She starts with touch of key every time and idle increaser as well as electric choke work wonderfully. This beast at WOT pushes our 148 1975 Crestliner covered four seater to GPS 39 knots with just me. With me, wife, two full 6 gal gas tanks and a bit o gear shell cruise all day at about 25 knots in upper-mid-range rpm and I calc she gets some 21 to 22 nmpg (we term her our econo boat). Once a family emergency occurred back home (88 yr matriarch went down and was in ER). Wife, daughter, husband, small baby and much gear needed to be transported very quickly to nearby marina for planned pick up and 100 mile drive home. Off our anchored Tolly, we loaded all including much, much gear into the Crestliner at least 2X over loaded! The 50 hp Johnson planed us off easily and at WOT hit in the mid to high 20s as we raced several miles to the pickup point. Much faster than if wed done it in the Tolly. I cruised back to boat, stayed the night and docked Tolly and Crestliner the next morning.

Im a Johnson feller form way back (Nissan makes some great o/b motors too). I dont have anything particularly against 4 stroke o/bs... as Ive never owned one - how could I!! But, from first hand reports via those that own and have not spoken too favorably about 4 strokers... and my decades of fun and successful experience with 2 strokers... Im in no rush to change!

That said: Im sure the 2 strokers time has passed and 4 strokers will eventually be all that is available (in not only new as now, but in used models too). Till that comes to pass Classic Johnsons and Nissan o/bs are my basically fool-proof engines of choice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1954.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	21461   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1955.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	21462   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1959.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	21463   Click image for larger version

Name:	WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	21464  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yup ... You guys are right. The new engines are great and they work wonderfully well. I admit I haven't had to do any serious maintenance on any of them. They are whisper quiet at an idle but still make plenty of noise working. And I'm much more concerned about the cruising speed noise than the idle. But this thing we're talking about really isn't a 4s 2s thing as my e-tec Evinrude is much much more like the 4s engines than the old 2s. I get no smoke or smell and I'm still at 50-1 on the computer. But the old 2s advantages are mostly lacking so it's basically an old v/s new. But I still don't like the high level of vibration of the single cylinder engines. If I was in marketing I'd say "build this .. no way. Nobody would buy anything that shakes like that". But I myself even have one.

mahal,
I couldn't resist either had I thought of it. And my male ego will tell you it is indeed a long shaft.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Reviving a comatose post....

Just got back from a few weeks cruising around the Straits of Georgia, Gulf and San Juan Islands, and a repower of our Whaler from a 1980s 35hp 2 stroke Johnson to a 2002 30hp 4 stroke Nissan. We spent a lot of time in the Whaler fishing, crabbing, sightseeing, and playing on our trip. Some insights:
  • Fuel usage: we carry a 6 gal main and 3 gal spare tank. With the 2 stroke, we'd go thru the main tank quickly-less than 4 hours of run time at part throttle. The 4 stroke absolutely sips fuel- I'm estimating it uses about 1/4 the fuel of the old Johnson. The Nissan is quiet, zero smoke, and one can converse normally at running speeds.
  • Performance: The 2 stroke is hands down quicker and faster at WOT. At the same time, the Nissan has power tilt and trim, and is much easier to fine tune and keep on plane. With 4 adults on board, the 2 stroke has a slight advantage. As 95% of our cruising with the whaler is with 2 people, it's a non-issue.
  • Weight: 120lbs on the 35hp 2 stroke vs 185 for the 4 stroke Nissan. I shifted the fuel tanks and battery forward, and that simple change balanced the Whaler perfectly. The davit on our boat lifts the whaler perfectly.

Conclusion- we're thrilled with the new engine (well, new to us). Best part- our net cost was $600 ($1400 for the new engine, sold the Johnson for $800.)

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #47
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Reviving a comatose post....

Just got back from a few weeks cruising around the Straits of Georgia, Gulf and San Juan Islands, and a repower of our Whaler from a 1980s 35hp 2 stroke Johnson to a 2002 30hp 4 stroke Nissan. We spent a lot of time in the Whaler fishing, crabbing, sightseeing, and playing on our trip. Some insights:
  • Fuel usage: we carry a 6 gal main and 3 gal spare tank. With the 2 stroke, we'd go thru the main tank quickly-less than 4 hours of run time at part throttle. The 4 stroke absolutely sips fuel- I'm estimating it uses about 1/4 the fuel of the old Johnson. The Nissan is quiet, zero smoke, and one can converse normally at running speeds.
  • Performance: The 2 stroke is hands down quicker and faster at WOT. At the same time, the Nissan has power tilt and trim, and is much easier to fine tune and keep on plane. With 4 adults on board, the 2 stroke has a slight advantage. As 95% of our cruising with the whaler is with 2 people, it's a non-issue.
  • Weight: 120lbs on the 35hp 2 stroke vs 185 for the 4 stroke Nissan. I shifted the fuel tanks and battery forward, and that simple change balanced the Whaler perfectly. The davit on our boat lifts the whaler perfectly.
Conclusion- we're thrilled with the new engine (well, new to us). Best part- our net cost was $600 ($1400 for the new engine, sold the Johnson for $800.)
Hi Peter - Glad you two had a great time! Admiral and I plan to be out and about on our Tolly... Friday 8/30 thru Sunday 9/8...

I take it you have a 13'3" Whaler? I had that size Boston Whaler decades ago with 40 hp Johnson... can we spell fun! Got pics of yours?

If I read you correctly; you roughly calc that the 4 stroke Nissan accomplished approx 16 hours run time on 6 gal tank at equivalent cruising speed to the 2 stroke 35 hp Johnson that sucked the tank dry in 4 hrs. Can you estimate what nmpg was with the Johnson and is now with the Nissan? How fast is your cruise speed in the Whaler?

I calc that our 1975 50 hp Johnson averages 21 +/- nmpg pushing us two at 25 +/- knots in our beloved and comfortable tow behind runabout - 14' 8" 1975 Crestliner 4 seat "Stinger". While cruising distances at that speed a 6 gallon tank (with oil added) empties in 5 +/- hours run time. I carry two sixes and a 1.25 gal for emergency. Just to keep fuel fresh I empty/refill the 1.25 gal tank about every 3 months.

If we could double or triple our nmpg it may be worth it to invest in a newer 50 (or even 60) hp Nissan. Johnson and Nissan are my two favorite outboard makes. Our great condition 50 hp Johnson would probably sell well!

Happy Boating Daze!

Art

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1954.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	22463   Click image for larger version

Name:	WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	22464  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #48
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Art,
My 40hp e-tech Evinrude would probably replace your Johnson and likely match th performance of your 50. It has a lower unit w 2.67-1 gears and a very big prop. I filled that big skiff up w beer, canned vegetables, ammunition and other heavy stuff. Hardly had room for Chris but the boat popped up on plane without hesitation.
Lowspeed throttle response and smoothness is excellent. Nothing like a 2 stroke w a carb. Actually its more controllable than a 4 stroke at low speeds.

Downside is that it's not much lighter than a 4S and a bit noisier. Fuel consumption is not quite that of a 4S but it is close.

But they winterize themselves and are FAR simpler. Once you get past the FI it's just a basic 2S.

That big prop has great thrust. Look at the pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0744 copy 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	22466  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #49
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Agreed about the E-tec. They are light, fast, quiet and fuel efficient. My 115 burns a quart of oil for about every 30 gallons of fuel, if that. Back when I was guiding with it I could go a month fishing every day on a gallon of oil.

I've had a few issues with it though, mostly peripheral stuff, starters, power trim motors. It hates dirty fuel, I have to be really careful with the filters and no ethanol.

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote