Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
What? This is a family forum!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
What? This is a family forum!
I think we should get the Johnson Law Group involved here.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I was buying redline racing synthetic 2 stroke oil but a few years ago I was in a Johnson repair shop and they were selling Johnson fully synthetic 2 stroke oil by the gallon for 12.00 so I bought a few. They said it was a close out and they discontinued it. It works great actually and for 12 bucks how can I go wrong?

If I can't find a good source for synthetic after I run out, I might go back to dyno.
Captnhead,
Go to your friendly Evinrude dealer and check out the 100% synthetic oil sold w their name on the bottle formulated for water cooled Evinrude outboards. That's what I use in my e-tec. I run my e-tec on a computer setting of 50-1. I've not pulled a plug so can't report plug color but it never smokes at all and I've even used it trolling all afternoon for salmon.

Did the Johnson dealer you mentioned sell the e-tec Evinrude engines? They should have that oil.???

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #24

City: cambridge
Vessel Name: Change Order
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
sounds like you guys have already lived the mistake I am/was about to make. We have 11ft walker bay rib rated 25hp max and 15hp min. I was going to buy 20 hp Yamaha as it weighs same as 15 and about 65lbs lighter than the 25. You guys say these 4 strokes suck performance and weight wise, but a used ie. unknown 2 stroke? that sounds like trouble too
bravo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #25

City: Gulf Shores, AL
Vessel Name: Anticipation
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
20 Suzuki

I recently bought an injected electric start 20 hp Suzuki. It planes my 10 Avon rib at half throttle with 2 on board and if I am alone will plane after a moderate bow lift. I fought old 2strokes for 2 years. If I could have bought a new electric 2 stroke I would have. I will say it is super quiet, smells good and in 3 days running have burned about a gallon of gas. I love the electric start with a 15 pound lawn mower battery.
gotfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #26
Guru

Yeah, I have a 10' center console Avon, which is very heavy. A 15 Suzuki 4 stroke gets it on plane with the spouse and me plus an Airedale Terrier...well over 400 pounds total. I did have an issue with a misadjusted throttle lever stop restricting max rpm, but the power complaint is way overblown.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #27

Did I mention........I love the electric start!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Myers
These are all fine if you leave them on a raft and crane them up, but there is significant hp:weight ratio changes from a 2 stroke from 4 stroke. For me it would nice to have options rather then being dictated to from the DEC, I mean come on, a 10hp motor and emissions?
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #29
Guru

gotfw wrote

"Did I mention........I love the electric start!!!"

What for .. so you don't have to pull on a rope once or twice? Fully engaged in the bush button world? My wife starts our old Johnson 6 easily. She really likes it. When it's tuned right.

A battery and the starter motor are really heavy. My 40hp e-tec is heavy and my 60hp Suzuki is very heavy both electric start. I wouldn't order them as manuals at my age but a 10 or 15hp? Seems nuts to me. The 4 stroke feature w all the valves, cam, oil pump ect ect plus an electric starting motor and a heavy battery ... seems nuts.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #30

The battery weighs less than 15 pounds, the motor 106 pounds, I have bursitis in my shoulder, this works for me. The engine is extremely hard to hand crank.
By the way I am using a modern keyboard and electric computer also. I gave up rotary dial and hand cranks a long time ago. My post was to show what works for me. If anyone wants to hand crank a 75 horsepower like I did 57 years ago have at it. Lets contribute useful information, not opinions that are negative and irrelevant to the original post.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfw View Post
The battery weighs less than 15 pounds, the motor 106 pounds, I have bursitis in my shoulder, this works for me. The engine is extremely hard to hand crank.
By the way I am using a modern keyboard and electric computer also. I gave up rotary dial and hand cranks a long time ago. My post was to show what works for me. If anyone wants to hand crank a 75 horsepower like I did 57 years ago have at it. Lets contribute useful information, not opinions that are negative and irrelevant to the original post.
Great response!

I find it very interesting that there seems to be an overwhelming negativity towards the tech of a 4 stroke dinghy motor- especially as most tender are (more or less) pickup trucks the are used to ferry passengers and goods around and fish/crab, not win speed contests.....

Question on the Suzuki- it's on our radar as a replacement for our aging 35hp Johnson 2 stroke (118 lbs) on our 13' Whaler. The whaler weighs in at about 350 lbs- how do you think that Suzuki will push it?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #32
Guru

Gotfw,
Sorry I really wasn't out to offend.
New things frequently get very popular just because they are new. Had you mentioned the Bursitis I'd a never thought twice.
I like your choice re the Suzuki. I bought one after much shopping but it's so complicated it scares me. And heavy.
Re the hand cranking I cranked on an old OMC 40 about 10 years ago and wondered how I had taken it for granite when I was young. To have the option though is good.
Sorry about the attack though ... I need to watch my mouth.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Let me preclude my comments to say I'm a fan of the lighter weight 2 strokes HP for HP. Mr. PH. If going from a "tired" 35 HP 2 stroke to a fresh 20 HP 4 stroke, you will probably notice some loss of performance both from the lesser HP and the increased weight BUT you may be able to minimize that to some extent by re-propping AND no more oil and quiet too.
Mr. got. More power to you for the electric start. You likes what you likes and to h3ll with the naysayers.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
Guru

Pau Hana wrote;

"I find it very interesting that there seems to be an overwhelming negativity towards the tech of a 4 stroke dinghy motor-"

"the tech"? What's "tech"? I see a lot of extra weight and vibration but new is very appealing too. Actually I object to the vibration more than the weight w many new engines. My 3.5hp 4s is 41lbs and the 2.5hp Yamaha is probably 34lbs. My old OMC 3.5hp was a twin was 34lbs. I remember the smoothness fondly. At half throttle I could happily run that little engine for hours at a time.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #35
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Pau Hana wrote;

"I find it very interesting that there seems to be an overwhelming negativity towards the tech of a 4 stroke dinghy motor-"

"the tech"? What's "tech"? I see a lot of extra weight and vibration but new is very appealing too. Actually I object to the vibration more than the weight w many new engines. My 3.5hp 4s is 41lbs and the 2.5hp Yamaha is probably 34lbs. My old OMC 3.5hp was a twin was 34lbs. I remember the smoothness fondly. At half throttle I could happily run that little engine for hours at a time.

Hmmm...lemme see;
  • quieter
  • better fuel economy
  • EFI vice carb induction
  • less pollution
  • no need to premix your fuel, carry TCW-3, or rely on an oil injection system

I could go on. The point is- the 4 stroke engine is a logical choice for a repower of a dinghy, especially given that new small 2 strokes are just about completely off the market (Etec is the lone holdout here in the states). One could go to Canada and get a new Merc 2 stroke- but then you have the challenges of warranty, and moreso the challenges of legally getting the engine across the border.

It's not about "new"- I want relaible so my daughter or fiance' are safe to take our whaler out without fiddling with a 1970s era outboard.If you prefer continuing the care and feeding of your 2 stroke outboard, please enjoy- but quit being such a naysayer just because the change doesn't fit you.

Or, you refuse to adapt.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #36
Guru

Pau Hana,
You're point is well made. But ...

Who cares about fuel economy in these small engines?
FI is great (I really believe that) but it scares me to think of working on it.
Less pollution of course but how much of a dent in pollution can one make w a 5hp engine?
Mixing? ..... I agree w you on that one. Hard to mix gas/oil w/o getting oily. But at least I can lay the engine down w/o worrying about all the lube oil running out on the deck or whatever.

Maybe I am reluctant to change but there are reasons.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #37

Erick, Your old Johnson that you said your wife can start, is it a long shaft or short?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
First: RTF - Good to see ya again. Been missen your sardonic picts and (mostly funny) video shorts... they were/hopefully soon again will be a blast!

Regarding 2 stroke / 4 stroke:

1. I do not hear good things from persons who own 4 strokers
2. I do hear good things from persons who own 2 strokers

Used to have 1998 quicksilver inflatable (see avatar) on which we used 1998 8 hp Nissan GREAT motor!

Currently have a cherry 1975 Crestliner (see pict) with 1975 50 hp Johnson GREAT motor!

Have owned many o/bs over the years! Love them 2 strokers!!

Just Sayennnn...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	21439  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I suspect a similar argument was made when the ships changed from rowers and sails to those new-fangled steam engines...then again with the introduction of each generation of internal combustion engine. The arguments probably stopped only when the previous generation of sailors departed the scene.

Eric, it's time to embrace change since fighting it is just an exercise in futility.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #40
TF Site Team

Eric, I care about fuel economy- I don't care to carry any more dinghy fuel than needed on my boat. If I can double (or better) the MPG on the tender, it means I have less need to go into port for gas.. When up north, I generally don't stop for fuel, only re-provisioning and sightseeing.

I find FI to be much easier to troubleshoot and repair than carbs, and more reliable. I can troll all day without fear of fouling plugs, and not worry about breathing the 2 stroke smoke.

And, you can lay down the 4 stroke engine on its side without damage.