Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
How to register a boat in wi help

I have a 10' Jon boat with out any tag so how can I register this in wi
__________________
Advertisement

10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
You will need to ask that question with the boat licensing agency in your state.Don't go out on an unregistered boat.Most states impound unlicensed boats and sell them at auction.
__________________

__________________
BEN'S BOAT BLOG

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go
You will need to ask that question with the boat licensing agency in your state.Don't go out on an unregistered boat.Most states impound unlicensed boats and sell them at auction.
Ok, thanks
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
All I need to now is if I need the serial number if I do it's gone
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go
You will need to ask that question with the boat licensing agency in your state.Don't go out on an unregistered boat.Most states impound unlicensed boats and sell them at auction.
And I'm only using it on a small river where no cops will even bother patrolling it.
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jonboatman View Post
All I need to now is if I need the serial number if I do it's gone
Yes, you will need the hull identification number(serial number as you call it) and also a previous title or registration signed over to you with a bill of sale.Some areas require it be notarized.
__________________
BEN'S BOAT BLOG

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go

Yes, you will need the hull identification number(serial number as you call it) and also a previous title or registration signed over to you with a bill of sale.Some areas require it be notarized.
Well I have none of that bought the boat for $100 on cregslist
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Wisconsin Boat Registration, Licenses, Forms, & Information at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

This would be a good place to find out.

Looks like WI is requiring boater safety courses and licenses for younger boaters too.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym
Wisconsin Boat Registration, Licenses, Forms, & Information at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

This would be a good place to find out.

Looks like WI is requiring boater safety courses and licenses for younger boaters too.
I read that but t I have a 10' motorized Jon boat would I half to register it?
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym
Wisconsin Boat Registration, Licenses, Forms, & Information at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

This would be a good place to find out.

Looks like WI is requiring boater safety courses and licenses for younger boaters too.
I was looking at the what to register
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2662952544.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	12336  
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym
Wisconsin Boat Registration, Licenses, Forms, & Information at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

This would be a good place to find out.

Looks like WI is requiring boater safety courses and licenses for younger boaters too.
Oh and for the boater safety im I the middle of taking that online
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jonboatman View Post
Well I have none of that bought the boat for $100 on cregslist
You should have gotten that from the seller. For all you (and the state) know, you may have purchased a stolen boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman

You should have gotten that from the seller. For all you (and the state) know, you may have purchased a stolen boat.
Yah but I know it was not stolen, he was a good guy
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jonboatman View Post
Yah but I know it was not stolen, he was a good guy
you knowing is one thing...getting it registered by convincing someone else may be another...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jonboatman View Post
Yah but I know it was not stolen, he was a good guy
If he legitmately owned the boat, he should have had paperwork, just like if it was a car.
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012