Hoisting dinghy with davits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
If you are manually hoisting the dinghy with davits off of transom what kind of block system are you using ?

My Kato davits came with a 4 to 1 block setup, but I changed them out for twin 900 lb hand winches and single line 5400 lb Amsteel gray. Now the Admiral can handle them solo, and the are now a part of our MOB system as well.

Mine originally had double pulleys on the top and a single on the bottom. (3:1?) With my original 100 lb dinghy and 8 hp 2 cycle it was easy to lift.

When I went to the 10.5 ft RIB and larger outboard (15 hp 2 cycle) I changed the engine side to 3 on top and two on the bottom (5:1?).
(Total weight of current dinghy /engine is 240 lb plus gas)

Do most davit systems lift both ends simultaneously?

Yes separate. I go about 3/4 of the way up on the bow then all the way on the stern then finish the bow.

My Kato davits came with a 4 to 1 block setup, but I changed them out for twin 900 lb hand winches and single line 5400 lb Amsteel gray. Now the Admiral can handle them solo, and the are now a part of our MOB system as well.
Larry if you have your old 4 to 1 purchase and want to sell them let know .

I'm looking into having some davits made and this is kinda the shape I'm looking at . Having them made from 2 "od sst tube with 1/8" wall and about 4' apart . Bolt them to transom with backing plates . The davit tips will be about 7' off water .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 154
Larry if you have your old 4 to 1 purchase and want to sell them let know .

Two weeks to late, Marty. I traded them to the welder for some work on my swim platform brackets. He's using them to lift his custom jacuzzi cover. Anyway, here's a shot of my davits before and after I installed the hand winches on them. The Amsteel rope is wound on the winch so it comes off the drum on the side closest to the davit, so the torque of the winch is clockwise as you see it in the photo. This reduces the levered stress on both the winch and the davit. It's hard to get used to that skinny single line and I keep doubting the strength, but it's 20 times the capacity needed for my dinghy/motor setup.

Attachments

• DSCN4269.jpg
    DSCN4269.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 140
  • davits with winches.jpg
    davits with winches.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 162
Just go on ebay or check craigslist there are a number of stern davits available pretty reasonably priced. Then take them to a powder coater if need be.

Mine on my last boat worked great with little expense and good easy ingress egress to the water.

Two weeks to late, Marty. I traded them to the welder for some work on my swim platform brackets. He's using them to lift his custom jacuzzi cover. Anyway, here's a shot of my davits before and after I installed the hand winches on them. The Amsteel rope is wound on the winch so it comes off the drum on the side closest to the davit, so the torque of the winch is clockwise as you see it in the photo. This reduces the levered stress on both the winch and the davit. It's hard to get used to that skinny single line and I keep doubting the strength, but it's 20 times the capacity needed for my dinghy/motor setup.

Where's the porta potty??!?;)

Where's the porta potty??!?;)

Oh, yeah. That photo was taken before the installation. Since then, however, you may recall that I installed this trawling net in the same position so no one could say that I didn't have a trawler. It could be dispatched at any moment, thereby, trawling.;)

Attachments

• bucky trawler net.jpg
    bucky trawler net.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Oh, yeah. That photo was taken before the installation. Since then, however, you may recall that I installed this trawling net in the same position so no one could say that I didn't have a trawler. It could be dispatched at any moment, thereby, trawling.;)

They call that an MFD; Multifunction Davits

Dang it . If you can tell anything from my pic do you think my davit idea will work ?

Amsteel is so counterintuitive that it's scary.

I know it is strong and safe. Just not accustomed to something that thin and soft being that strong.

Dang it . If you can tell anything from my pic do you think my davit idea will work ?

From what I can see in your sketch, your idea is no problem. I've seen other transom mounted davits exactly as you are suggesting. Not sure, however, if you'd save money with a custom built set. There's plenty out there that one could alter for your mounting.

If you are manually hoisting the dinghy with davits off of transom what kind of block system are you using ?

Our dinghy is on Weaver Snap Davits so not quite what you're considering. But we still have to haul it up into its stowed position.

We use the boom fall on our boat's mast and boom setup. We replaced the original singe-sheave teak blocks with dual sheave blocks on both the topping lift and boom fall. This gives us the leverage to pull the 9' Livingston and motor up into its stored position on the transom using one hand.

We replaced the boat's original boom fall with a 100 foot fall line so the block on the end would reach the water without having to lower the boom at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom