Old 12-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #21
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
RE: Help me find a dinghy motor mount!

Truth be told, the block was cut off a 2x12 kiln dried, non-pressure treated, southern yellow pine. It has been in my garage for about a year. Before that, I was using it as scaffolding for when I put the new facade on the garage (tore off the siding and installed cedar shingles...talk about labor intensive!!). So- it's been beat around pretty good and never showed any signs of cracking despite some tough use.
At any rate...no need for me to have to worry if a heavy wave will crack it in half from the pressure. Guess I'll go cut up another piece of 2x I have laying around and orient the grain parallel with the outboard. Let's hope I don't run into this issue when I build the 2nd berth I am about to start in the kid's stateroom! lol

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -

A short section of board will snap along the grain much more readily than a longer plank of the same dimensions.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

At any rate...no need for me to have to worry if a heavy wave will crack it in half from the pressure.
Tony, you haven't been at Island Cove long enough.* When one or more (sometimes they come out in a line) of the 60-80 footers come out of the Yacht Club channel toward Harrison Bluff, you can get hit with a 6' wall of water beam on.* It is always good to secure loose items before venturing out.* Many of them slow down for no one.

When you change your orientation--that is the orientation of your motor mount, it would be good to cap the mount with some copper sheating.* It will place the open grain up to wick the water.* Since the pine is not treated, this really should be done.* Just bend a copper cap over and use copper nails to keep down galvanic action.

Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote