Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Help 10' jon boat motor ?????

I have a 10' Jon boat that is rated for 3hp but I have a 1966 evinrude 6hp can I put that on and not brake my boat or flip it, I had a 3hp Johnson on it and it was slow but it locked up
__________________
Advertisement

10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Don't know why not. The first boat I actually owned was a 12' Sears aluminum skiff. I powered it with a 1978 Evinrude 6hp and had no problems at all. I have no idea what power the skiff was rated for.
__________________

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,738
Should not be a problem as long as the weight/balance is ok by you.
Many people I kknow put larger engines on that the boat is rated for.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jonboatman View Post
I have a 10' Jon boat that is rated for 3hp but I have a 1966 evinrude 6hp can I put that on and not brake my boat or flip it, I had a 3hp Johnson on it and it was slow but it locked up

Your motor is 45lbs. A new 4 stroke 2.5hp Mercury is 40lbs. It won't hurt the boat one bit. With that said, you could potentially run into issues with control of the boat at wide open throttle. Be aware of the power your outboard will deliver.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Capn Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 418
6HP 2 stroke should do fine. Probably will plane it. You might need a tiller extension though to allow you to sit furthur forward for balance. How wide (@bottom not at @gunnels) is your Jon? Some really narrow, might be a tad unstable. Sounds like a small stream catfish boat extraordinaire.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,877
If the boat is rated to a specific hp...your state may have laws against exceeding that rated hp. You may want t check because if ever stopped...some states have no sense of humor.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Craig
6HP 2 stroke should do fine. Probably will plane it. You might need a tiller extension though to allow you to sit furthur forward for balance. How wide (@bottom not at @gunnels) is your Jon? Some really narrow, might be a tad unstable. Sounds like a small stream catfish boat extraordinaire.
At the top it's 48" bottom is little bit narrower, I always have a passenger in the front anyway.
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld
If the boat is rated to a specific hp...your state may have laws against exceeding that rated hp. You may want t check because if ever stopped...some states have no sense of humor.
I ride on a small river so I don't care, I have only seen I other motor boat in my life on this river it was a little Lund
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
But I won't like brake the back of my boat off? I'm replacing the transom board and adding 1"plywood to the back of the boat
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Most 10 footers are rated for 5hp or 50lbs.I have an old Gamefisher jon boat that is rated for 5HP/50lbs.It's tiny compared to newer, post 70's, jon boats.I ran a 1980 5hp Gamefisher until they banned two strokes in my area.Now I run a Minnkota trolling motor.

Mine measures 9.9ft x 27in at the widest section across the bottom.


http://www.tinboats.net/forum/
__________________
BEN'S BOAT BLOG

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,995
Greetings,
In addition to a possible ticket as mentioned by Mr. psneeld, your insurance may be void if you put more engine on than the manufacturer recommends. Could be financially devastating in an accident situation.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Guru
 
City: Georgia
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 952
It's a mess, but here ya go Hoss:

A jet ski motor mounted in a jon boat.

As noted elsewhere: Use at your own risk.

After you install trim tabs, let me know how it rides.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Capn Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 418
Assuming it's aluminum. I wouldn't worry about it. If it were to fail, the failure won't be a sudden thing. I would expect it to be in the form of rivits working loose, or fatigue cracks in the aluminum. These things will take a lot of use to manifest themselves. I would expect cracks to form in the upper corners between the transon and the sides. Fatigue accumulates over many, perhaps hundreds of hours. It is afterall only a six horse. Personally I would run it, use common sense, and watch for flexing of metal. Keep an eye on it, if after several years, it starts to show cracks, you can decide if its cheaper to get it TIG welded or throw it away and get a different boat. IF, it made of wood, disregrard all of the above. That's just my opinion, it's your decision. You bring the worms?
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Aluminum boat and I'm kinda reinforcing it a little
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,738
No way I could believe an old Evinrue 6 would tear the transom off.
And if it makes you feel better, scratch off the 6 and paint in a 3. (That will keep the water cops off your back.)
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
Guru
 
Carey's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,101
In my mind, (a very confused place), I see any boat that has been altered, as not having a specific horsepower rating. If it has been altered for your personal use based on your engineering, I don't see how the original Coast Guard hp rating could come into play as far as making your boat legal or not. I say do what you think is right, and test it a bit, then test it hard, and determine for yourself whether you have done the right thing.

An example comes to mind. My neighbor and I once shared a fence, and a love for boating, and a mutual friend who built boats. I bought a ten footer from our mutual friend, rated at fifteen horse, and did mount a 15 horse. My neighbor, thinking a little outside the box, looked upon this ten footer as more of a jet ski, and despite the CG 15hp rating, put on a 40 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, and drove from a console mounted amidship. The boat ran around 50 mph, with a fun factor of ten plus. I always wished I had HIS boat. :-)
__________________
Carey Worthen
Master of Disaster
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard
No way I could believe an old Evinrue 6 would tear the transom off.
And if it makes you feel better, scratch off the 6 and paint in a 3. (That will keep the water cops off your back.)
Ok well I don't even have the tag on my boat for the cops to see its rated for a 3hp as what the average 10' Jon boat is rated for, from what I read on the Internet. It's a apache 10' Jon boat like I said no tag.
10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #18
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
In my mind, (a very confused place), I see any boat that has been altered, as not having a specific horsepower rating. If it has been altered for your personal use based on your engineering, I don't see how the original Coast Guard hp rating could come into play as far as making your boat legal or not. I say do what you think is right, and test it a bit, then test it hard, and determine for yourself whether you have done the right thing.

An example comes to mind. My neighbor and I once shared a fence, and a love for boating, and a mutual friend who built boats. I bought a ten footer from our mutual friend, rated at fifteen horse, and did mount a 15 horse. My neighbor, thinking a little outside the box, looked upon this ten footer as more of a jet ski, and despite the CG 15hp rating, put on a 40 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, and drove from a console mounted amidship. The boat ran around 50 mph, with a fun factor of ten plus. I always wished I had HIS boat. :-)
The rating is based more about loading, level flotation and handling. So beefing up the transom to hold a higher hp engine isn't the issue, it's about having the boat filled almost to the gunnels and doing a high speed turn and dumping everyone in the water.

I wouldn't think it possible to flip a 34 Silverton based on the number of people on board..but somebody figured out how to do it and killed people. Now there's an outcry to put those same capacity plates on even bigger boats.

If you alter your boat significantlty...I think you can apply to have that plate changed or if it really is changed that much...I would say rip it off ad call the boat a homebuilt...but to stay within the law ya gotta do something.

Where the OP is, I'm not sure the USCG even has juridiction (waters wholly within a state) and as I said in my first post...the state may or MAY NOT have a rule against it...I know New Jersey does so I passed the info along. As for being sued...you have someone hurt or killed on a boat of yours these days...doesn't matter if you are squeaky clean..your legal bill alone might bankrupt you and even if you counter sue for legal bills.. you might get excactly what they have...nothing.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
The boat is designed for 3HP and you wand to double it to 6HP. Put exactly twice the power on the boat. You always have a passenger on the bow and the cops don't patrol the area where you will be using the boat.

You don't know if it's OK to do this but "I'm kinda reinforcing it a little ".

I think you've already made up your mind, you're just asking for permission.

I, myself wouldn't do what you are planning on, but you don't need my permission. You already know this, but it's up to you. You (and your passenger) are the ones who will pay the price if things go wrong.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld

The rating is based more about loading, level flotation and handling. So beefing up the transom to hold a higher hp engine isn't the issue, it's about having the boat filled almost to the gunnels and doing a high speed turn and dumping everyone in the water.

I wouldn't think it possible to flip a 34 Silverton based on the number of people on board..but somebody figured out how to do it and killed people. Now there's an outcry to put those same capacity plates on even bigger boats.

If you alter your boat significantlty...I think you can apply to have that plate changed or if it really is changed that much...I would say rip it off ad call the boat a homebuilt...but to stay within the law ya gotta do something.

Where the OP is, I'm not sure the USCG even has juridiction (waters wholly within a state) and as I said in my first post...the state may or MAY NOT have a rule against it...I know New Jersey does so I passed the info along. As for being sued...you have someone hurt or killed on a boat of yours these days...doesn't matter if you are squeaky clean..your legal bill alone might bankrupt you and even if you counter sue for legal bills.. you might get excactly what they have...nothing.
Well like I said there is now tag to rip off it already gone, if I added a wooden deck to the front would that be enough home made ish do you think? The worst part is apache put the tag on the transom wood and it rotted out and it fell off
__________________

10jonboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012