Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Zodiac Seems - Regluing?

I have a 2005 Zodiac Zoom that has had only light use and stored indoors most of the time. It's had maybe 25 days exposure per year since new.

When I used it the first time this year I noticed it had taken on a small amount of water. The next time we went out I checked it and determined that indeed it was leaking water in along the transom area.

Through some investigation, I believe that some of the seems in the black material that makes up the floor and joins the floor to the transom are coming apart.

Is there any recomendation on glue to reglue these seems? Or is seven (very light use) seasons about all I can expect out of this inflatable?
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Assuming it's a PVC boat- chuck it, it's a goner. Next time, buy a hypalon boat. You'll get more service from a 20-year-old used hypalon inflatable than you did from your PVC boat.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
FF
Guru

Defender sells the glue .

Sunshine causes death , If its been in the bag , just a repair will be fine.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
If I had a seam that was coming apart and wanted to keep the dinghy, I'd take it to a professional. Part of the problem with home repairs are that the temperature and humidity requirements are critical.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds Outlet View Post
I have a 2005 Zodiac Zoom that has had only light use and stored indoors most of the time. It's had maybe 25 days exposure per year since new.

When I used it the first time this year I noticed it had taken on a small amount of water. The next time we went out I checked it and determined that indeed it was leaking water in along the transom area.

Through some investigation, I believe that some of the seems in the black material that makes up the floor and joins the floor to the transom are coming apart.

Is there any recomendation on glue to reglue these seems? Or is seven (very light use) seasons about all I can expect out of this inflatable?
They make two different repair kits. One is the tube of glue that sells for $20+ the other is a two part mix that sells for $60+. Care to guess which one works.

It does work but it is a PIA. My dink is a 10 year old PVC Zodiac and the repairs with the two part are holding fine. Trick seems to be clean the surface of all the old glue. I used 60 grit paper, wipe down with Acetone and follow the instructions.

BTW this dink has been out in the weather since it was new and the damage to it was sort of self inflected by letting it stay deflated on a dink rack and that cause the seams to have undue stress where they attach to the AL hull.

P.S. I agree with Larry as far as taking it to a Pro but that may out way the cost of getting a new one.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
If I had a seam that was coming apart and wanted to keep the dinghy, I'd take it to a professional. Part of the problem with home repairs are that the temperature and humidity requirements are critical.
I agree. The boat is worth a lot of money and is best repaired by someone with the training, equipment, and materials to do the job.

I have a friend who tried to repair his own dinghy and it's been nothing but trouble ever since.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Most of the leaks are at the transom, the reason most put the biggest engine rated, which causes the transom to flex and the seam to leak. If the leak is way back where it can not be reached, then it best to take to a professional. I would never ever have another inflatable, but if I did if would have a low rated HP engine so the transom does not flex.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

City: South Puget Sound, WA
No transom flex going on here Phil Fill, its powered by a Minn-Cota electric trolling motor. Talk about cruisin at hull speed, but its quiet and easy to handle.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I have a 25 year old Avon that I have been patching for years...the threads are just starting to give out. Granted it only had light use except 3 years that I lived aboard my previous boat...

I've patched it with at least 3-4 diffrent types of glue including plain old contact cement from the hardware store...granted it only lasted a few seasons....but that was mainly from rolling up ans storing the dingy with funny wrinkles.

All the patches were on the floor or tubes and gluing down the edges of the seam I think you are talking about. Using the contact cement or standard Avon glue only took a few minutes to dry then press repair so every other year spending a few minutes didn't seem like much to sacrifice.

BUT...if you are talking stitched seams....those are high stress and probably best left to a pro unless you REALLY feel like getting into a project.

For those that have never heard the warning...on many of the fabric boats...never use anything like Armor all because it can migrate under the glued seams and make them fail.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote