Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Grand Vizier

A Great Tender

We anchored off Port Townsend, WA for the annual Wooden Boat Festival a couple weeks ago. As usual, a great show, most especially the "Sail By" event where classic schooners up to 125 feet long as well as pretty much anything else with a sail cruises back and forth through the anchorage in the afternoon winds. Really cool.

One thing I came across that really appealed to me was a new kit for a tender from PT Watercraft. This is an 11 foot nesting tender that can be outfitted with a carbon fiber mast and boom for sailing, rows like a banshee, and will take a 2 hp motor. CNC panels are stitch and glued and epoxy glassed, making a sturdy hull that weighs 85 pounds assembled, with each section weighing about half that. Nested, the package measures about 6.5' long, 4.5' wide and 18" tall, so it will fit in a lot of places other tenders wouldn't. I was so impressed with it, especially after I saw one sailing by at about 5 knots during the Sail By event, that I am trying to decide whether to sell the Whitehall I built and buy one of these. Again, it is a kit, it is not cheap, but it is a very cool boat that would, IMHO, make an ideal tender for many cruisers. Lots of video links on the website.

Port Townsend Watercraft?s Nesting Dinghies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nesting.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	13106  
Attached Images

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
That looks fascinating! Thanks for the heads up!

jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Hudson
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30
Chesapeake Light Craft also has a nesting sailing dinghy kit that Passage Maker magazine was involved in designing.

Fast-sailing, Ultra-light Take-Apart Dinghy That You Can Build!
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Wow. That sure would take the doubt away from having enough space on the boat deck. Trouble is, every time I come up with a space saving idea, my Admiral assumes she can fill that space with more shoes.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have to say the Whitehall is a better looking boat than either of these nesting boats. Would it be possible to turn the Whitehall into a nesting dinghy?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin View Post
I have to say the Whitehall is a better looking boat than either of these nesting boats. Would it be possible to turn the Whitehall into a nesting dinghy?
I would agree, although the PT is a very nice looking tender. The Whitehall I built weighs about 80# and rows really, really well, but it is quite tippy. I don't think the PT would be as tender and the videos would indicate that, but I don't know for sure.

From the videos, it also looks to me like the PT rows as well as the Whitehall, and coupled with its sailing rig makes the PT the winner in my book. Want to buy my Whitehall? I'll cut it in half for you if you like.....
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
NestingLite Dinghies

My wife and I flew up to Vancouver a couple of years ago and looked at this business when it was for sale. I really liked the product and the fella who owned the business. I just could not figure out how to market it in large enough numbers to make it work. Shipping cost is a problem, but it is a good product and well made.
roguewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

From the videos, it also looks to me like the PT rows as well as the Whitehall, and coupled with its sailing rig makes the PT the winner in my book. Want to buy my Whitehall? I'll cut it in half for you if you like.....[/QUOTE]

The boat or the price?
Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #9

City: Oakland,Ca
Im thinking about building a PT 11 next year. I don't think I need the nesting model, and I love that it sails as well as it does. Im a sailor at heart, and this looks like a great little dink.
Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #10
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutarious View Post
Im thinking about building a PT 11 next year. I don't think I need the nesting model, and I love that it sails as well as it does. Im a sailor at heart, and this looks like a great little dink.
I'd love to follow your progress with it if you are inclined to keep us informed.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:50 AM   #11
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Same idea, but waaaaay better;

Nesting, Portable, Folding Boats & Dinghies UK - Nestaway Boats Ltd - Trio 16 Dayboat
Old 12-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Had a 10' nesting model from B and B for a while it was a good tender. With a nesting model though after it rains you have two dinks to bail out instead of one. Sold it and bought a self bailing inflatable.

B & B Yacht Designs

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Interesting option and if double the price and weight is way better, maybe so.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Interesting option and if double the price and weight is way better, maybe so.
The smaller one might be fine from mooring ball to dock, but for hairy chested uninhabited coastline exploration I'd prefer more length and freeboard