A Great Tender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delfin

Grand Vizier
We anchored off Port Townsend, WA for the annual Wooden Boat Festival a couple weeks ago. As usual, a great show, most especially the "Sail By" event where classic schooners up to 125 feet long as well as pretty much anything else with a sail cruises back and forth through the anchorage in the afternoon winds. Really cool.

One thing I came across that really appealed to me was a new kit for a tender from PT Watercraft. This is an 11 foot nesting tender that can be outfitted with a carbon fiber mast and boom for sailing, rows like a banshee, and will take a 2 hp motor. CNC panels are stitch and glued and epoxy glassed, making a sturdy hull that weighs 85 pounds assembled, with each section weighing about half that. Nested, the package measures about 6.5' long, 4.5' wide and 18" tall, so it will fit in a lot of places other tenders wouldn't. I was so impressed with it, especially after I saw one sailing by at about 5 knots during the Sail By event, that I am trying to decide whether to sell the Whitehall I built and buy one of these. Again, it is a kit, it is not cheap, but it is a very cool boat that would, IMHO, make an ideal tender for many cruisers. Lots of video links on the website.

Port Townsend Watercraft?s Nesting Dinghies

Attachments

• Rowing.png
    Rowing.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,211
  • Sailing.png
    Sailing.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,273
  • Nesting.jpg
    Nesting.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 227
That looks fascinating! Thanks for the heads up!

Wow. That sure would take the doubt away from having enough space on the boat deck. Trouble is, every time I come up with a space saving idea, my Admiral assumes she can fill that space with more shoes.

I have to say the Whitehall is a better looking boat than either of these nesting boats. Would it be possible to turn the Whitehall into a nesting dinghy?

I have to say the Whitehall is a better looking boat than either of these nesting boats. Would it be possible to turn the Whitehall into a nesting dinghy?
I would agree, although the PT is a very nice looking tender. The Whitehall I built weighs about 80# and rows really, really well, but it is quite tippy. I don't think the PT would be as tender and the videos would indicate that, but I don't know for sure.

From the videos, it also looks to me like the PT rows as well as the Whitehall, and coupled with its sailing rig makes the PT the winner in my book. Want to buy my Whitehall? I'll cut it in half for you if you like.....

NestingLite Dinghies

My wife and I flew up to Vancouver a couple of years ago and looked at this business when it was for sale. I really liked the product and the fella who owned the business. I just could not figure out how to market it in large enough numbers to make it work. Shipping cost is a problem, but it is a good product and well made.

From the videos, it also looks to me like the PT rows as well as the Whitehall, and coupled with its sailing rig makes the PT the winner in my book. Want to buy my Whitehall? I'll cut it in half for you if you like.....[/QUOTE]

The boat or the price?

Im thinking about building a PT 11 next year. I don't think I need the nesting model, and I love that it sails as well as it does. Im a sailor at heart, and this looks like a great little dink.

Im thinking about building a PT 11 next year. I don't think I need the nesting model, and I love that it sails as well as it does. Im a sailor at heart, and this looks like a great little dink.
I'd love to follow your progress with it if you are inclined to keep us informed.

Had a 10' nesting model from B and B for a while it was a good tender. With a nesting model though after it rains you have two dinks to bail out instead of one. Sold it and bought a self bailing inflatable.

B & B Yacht Designs

Interesting option and if double the price and weight is way better, maybe so.

The smaller one might be fine from mooring ball to dock, but for hairy chested uninhabited coastline exploration I'd prefer more length and freeboard :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom