GPS/DS to use in Dink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Started looking for a low cost GPS with depth to use in the dink. Any recommendations?

Lowrance makes some relatively inexpensive GPS Plotter/Fishfinder combos. But you'd need to power them; I don't believe any of them have built-in batteries.

We got a portable depth sounder/fish finder to use on our 9' Livingston dinghy for salmon and ling cod fishing. It's a Humminbird 120 and is powered by 6 AA batteries in the head. No GPS plotter, though....

Lowrance makes some relatively inexpensive GPS Plotter/Fishfinder combos. But you'd need to power them; I don't believe any of them have built-in batteries.

We got a portable depth sounder/fish finder to use on our 9' Livingston dinghy for salmon and ling cod fishing. It's a Humminbird 120 and is powered by 6 AA batteries in the head. No GPS plotter, though....

Navionics for the Droid is what we use in the dinghy. They also have an app for the I Phone. No depth sounder. About $16.00.

Last edited:
I looked at some or the Lowrance units on the web. I think that gives me a good reason to chedk out the new Cabellas in Marysville.

:facepalm: I didn't think about power requirements.There are a few Lowrance FFs that run on batteries,but I'm not sure if they have GPS.

The dink is the skiff with a 40hp Honda w/batt and charging system, so no issue w/ power.

I looked at some or the Lowrance units on the web. I think that gives me a good reason to chedk out the new Cabellas in Marysville.

It's quite the store. Very similar to the one down toward Olympia. They carry a good selection of frozen bait, too, including octopus which is like candy to a halibut. We buy most of our fishing stuff from Holiday Sports in Burlington since we go past it almost every weekend on the way to Bellingham. But Holliday closes earlier than Cabellas on some days so Cabellas is a great backup.

Back
Top Bottom