Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Eric . Bronze screw fastened with multiple layers of 10 oz cloth on the seams and complete coverage on bottom and sides. I'm hoping for a hoisting weight of 160 lbs or less (we'll see!). By comparison a livingston 10' is 210 lbs , inflatable around 100 lbs. Add 100 lbs for a motor and various gear and they are not light. I can pull it up a beach but not over a rail hence davits. I love the trinkas'-just not as a yacht tender! I am 6'4'' and 225 lbs. No wine glass sterns,round bottom tenders for me. I want something that I can step to mother ship with a load of groceries and not worry about being in the center of the boat. In other words, flat bottom, with rocker.

Hopcar- mine does not have the "V" in the fwd section like your garvey example, but it does have rocker. I think my bow is higher and more flair to it . Beam is 52" at the rail. You are right about building being enjoyable, I really don't need a skiff at this time. I built to a set of patterns by a skilled amateur. His patterns were excellent but his building directions sucked. This about the 10th or 11th boat I've built so I could pretty much figure out the build. Nobody really "owns the design" to these skiffs. They have been around for at least 60 years with each fisherman-builder adding their own touch.
Walt- I agree! Those Lake Union skiffs are some sweet looking! Your grandson and son should be proud of their build.

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
Scraping Paint
City: -
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
These types of prams are used by Lobstermen on the North shore of Massachusetts, (where I grew up) and carry weight through chop to the moored lobsterboat. They are regionally known as Swampscott prams or Nahant type skiffs.

Sailor, do you have a photo handy of one of these skiffs used by the lobstermen? If so I'd love to see it. The whole New England/Canadian Maritimes fishing industry is fascinating to me and the boats they developed for it, from skiffs, to dories to schooners to lobsterboats, are all really amazing in my view.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #23

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
We've gotten a little thread drift going, from dinghys suitable for towing to building small boats so I'll make it drift a little more.
My current project is a 14' Glen-L power skiff that I plan to put a 9.9 Lehr propane outboard on. It's going together pretty fast and I expect to install the transom tomorrow. It won't be a good tow behind dinghy.
Here is a link to the Glen-L site showing it:

I think the Trinka 12 is just about the prettiest boat in the world. When Mark Johansen was making them in Miami he would buy Perko bronze oarlocks from me. I visited his shop one time and was blown away by the quality of the build. I hope he's at the Miami boat show next month. I didn't see him there last year and he's usually near our Gill booth at the sailbot show.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
I don't have any pictures of these skiffs, but I will post my build when it is finished. You will be able to see the "dory" influence with lots of flare in the sides and bottom rocker.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #25
A friend of mine that I cruised a lot with used to tow a 11 ft Whaler behind an old Mainship 34. That was just about the limit. He towed a 13 ft Whaler a few times, but thought it was a little too much both towing and handling around the boat.
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We been towing our deep V heavy 19 ft run that is very stable be hind the Eagle. What every you tow make sure its heavy with a low center of gravity so it does not flip/turn off. A friend of mine was towing a light aluminum 14 ft boat and it flip over. We have a 14 ft Livingston that we might tow as the run about is 42 years old, still running strong but she deserves a rest.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote