Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Which first: dinghy or life raft..

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
I figure an outboard doubles the expense and hassle of having a dinghy, so I'm shying away from an outboard.
The expense will depend on the dinghy you get and the cost of the motor you select.* But you can be right--- in our case the Livingston (at the time) cost about $700 new and the outboard we bought a year or so later cost about the same or a bit more.

There is no hassle that I have seen in having a motor.* We keep our motor on the dinghy at all times.* It is on a swivel mount so it is stored in an upright position when the dinghy is stowed, and when we deploy it we swivel the motor into its running position.

I agree that if you have to mount and dismount the motor every time you use the dinghy, that can certainly become a hassle in terms of time and the effort you have to make--- often using a davit--- to deploy and retrieve the motor.* And this can be even more of a hassle in rough water.

If one carries the dinghy on the aft cabin top--- something I don't advocate but a lot of people do it and some boats don't give you a choice--- then the motor can be left in place and all that needs to happen (or not) is to tilt it down after the dinghy is in the water and up before you retrieve it.

I've posted these before but here are shots of our motor in the stowed position on its simple swivel mount.

PS--- After reading Scott's post below I will second that the ownership/operating expense of an outboard like ours is just about nil.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 3rd of January 2012 07:42:49 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outboard 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	9280   Click image for larger version

Name:	outboard 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	9281  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
RE: Which first: dinghy or life raft..

Small outboard expense is almost non-existent.* I doubt I've spent $100 for maintenance on my outboard in the last 25 years and both motors were used when I got them.

My current 6 yammie has been underwater twice (not running)* in the last couple years and still starts first pull.* Zero PM...just run all season and put away for the 4-5 month winters.

Now...I haven't used the outboards like a full time cruiser except* for 2 summers* when my son and I commuted around a mile for 3 months in the dingy.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

We have cruised two seasons with our Portland Pudgy, using only oars and the sailkit for power. Been very happy with that.

We are, however, contemplating adding an outboard to the mix so that we can expand our exploring envelope while at anchor. This would include, for example, travelling to the Heriot Bay store while anchored in Rebecca Spit. Many bays where we anchor have interesting spots that would be worth a look but are too far away distance and/or time wise to warrant rowing to. Sailing in the summer tends to be iffy due to the generally light winds.

Our plan is to store the motor in the cockpit and only attach it to the dinghy when needed. At 37 pounds it won't be too onerous to lift up and down.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #24
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28

One dinghy power option that you don't see often, but I like, is an electric trolling motor and small battery. You would be surprised how far you can travel in a dinghy with a thirty or forty pound thrust trolling motor and a Jet Ski battery.
The cost of the motor and two batteries is less than $500. I use mine on my 8ft. Avon Roll Up, a 15 foot canoe and a wierd little fishing platform called a Flats Stalker.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Which first: dinghy or life raft..

In California, manually-powered boats don't require state registration*and the accompanying registration fee and personal property tax.

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 3rd of January 2012 11:18:00 PM
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -

I don't know the California regulations but in Washington boats less than 16' long and with a motor of 10hp or less do not need to be registered and there are no fees required.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #27
FF
Guru

"One dinghy power option that you don't see often, but I like, is an electric trolling motor and small battery. "

This is a great option for folks with brides that cant row , or sail, and may be unfamiliar with the use of an outboard.

This gives non boaters the ability for excursions , no "trapped aboard" syndrome.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #28
Guru

I think many states don't require registration of yacht tenders. Their use must be strictly limited for use with the yacht and trips to/from vessel to shore.*
Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Any California,*mechanically-powered vessel must be registered (unless it is a foreign vessel, is U.S.-documented, lifeboats solely for lifekeeping, etc.)
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #30
Guru

I stand corrected..I looked up several states that used to be "Tender To" states that have switched to powered dingies DO have to be registered...my apologies
Old 01-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #31
Guru

In CT you have to register, but it's not the registration fee , that's cheap. It's the sales tax, and the standing*in line at DMV for 2 hours to get it registered initially that's the real PIA.

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote