Dinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty11

Hello all,
I am considering a Walker bay 10 as a tender for my 34 Californian.
Any thoughts or suggestion?

Mark, Spend more money. Look at an Orca or ( more money ) a Trinka ( 10' ). Nice to see you want a real boat for a dink. I don't see what these guys see in the rubber duckies. I think they're afraid of tipping over and getting ( oh dear ) all wet. I have an Orca and I love to row. Can't row a duckie very much .. can't go very straight, can't go fast, can't look good and can't feel good.

Eric Henning
Willard 30
Thorne Bay AK

WE use a Grumman Aluminum sailing dink.

They are light and strong , and sail so well we don't bother with an outboard.

The bride can row (has her own scull) so is never "trapped aboard".

When it blows over 20K , we usually both row , as oar positions for two rowers is std.

The dink is so light it is simply dragged aboard on the Uniflite , and lives in davits when used on the MS.

I love these boats so much that the fore deck of the MS was built to hold one inverted , for use as lifeboat.Its CHAINED in place and the sails are fine above , with no interfearance.

Many harbors are small enough , and protected enough that sailing for groceries or a rubber chicken dinner (Georgetown Bahamas) is as fast as motoring , yet there is no worry the propulsion will leave while your having a brewsky.

FF

This is what a Walker Bay 8 looks like on the back of my Halvorsen 34. I get it into that position single-handed... mostly without scratching the GRP frame of my swim platform or putting out my back! The WB 10 will be more difficult to do that. In any case I suggest you go straight for davits. I won't want to lift this weight forever, and plan to install removable davits in preparation for a new toy with OB engine sometime next year (bank manager's approval permitting).

People say the WB will lose it's shape if rested on its side. Turns out that's true! Whilst you can't (yet) see the deformation, I noticed yesterday that the daggerboard shaft (only useful if you are sailing) is no longer aligned with the slot in the middle bench. Can be fixed by uncrewing the bench and reassembling, but will no doubt happen again every few months.

I wanted something more expensive, but settled on the WB as a first tender because: It was very cheap and light; just big enough for me and my twin boys to get to the beach; Trinka and others are truely beautiful, but cost of shipping to Hong Kong kills it (I looked into these... they are lovely).

As my 3-year old twin boys get bigger, I am keen to upgrade to a runabout with motor. For our intended purpose, it will likely have to be an aluminu-hulled*RIB, no more than 11ft LOA, hopefully with 25hp engine.

My question for you guys: what would you think is the heaviest RIB+OB+davits weight that a 34ft trawler can take without causing disappointing reduction in performance? I plan to get a few friends to stand on my swim platform as I work my way up to max RPMs. The boat did 14 kts when new and largely empty (9 months ago), but now that we have toys and stuff on board, I am lucky if I can hit 12 kts (I like to cruise at 9/10kts). Will be hauling her out shortly for first docking and new antifoul, but I clean the hull monthly, so I doubt fouling is the cause. I bet having 250lbs of weight on the transom won't help the attitude and speed.

Mark

Attachments

• p4130001.jpg
    p4130001.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 105
To test the suitability of ANY dink for a cruiser , simply drag/carry the loaded dink over 75 to 100 ft of rocky beach , to simulate a landing at a spot with a 10 to 25 ft tide.

FF

Last year we purchased a Walker Bay RID 275H rigid bottom dink. With the inflatable tube that normally sits just out of the water, the dink is super stable and virtually untipable. There is lots of room to carry stuff, which includes 4 good size adults. The 2hp motor is enough to push us along - thought it won't plane. With just me on board (180lbs) it will plane on a relatively calm sea.

I had made some custom davits and the dink and 2hp Honda motor sit permanenently on the davits. It rows very easily, so I often use it as a means of getting some exercise when on the hook for a few days.* It apparently sails quite well, though I did not buy the sailing kit.* I've since made some sun covers to try and keep things a bit clean.

With straps attached fore and aft to the swim platform and tight against the davit frame, the dink does not move in a seaway.* I keep it locked on with a bicycle type steel cable combination lock, so this way it can also be launched very quickly and used as a lifeboat.

It remains to be seen about longevity, but it should last longer than my previous Zodiac inflatable (I hope)

-- Edited by dainisk on Thursday 6th of May 2010 07:20:32 PM

-- Edited by dainisk on Thursday 6th of May 2010 07:24:43 PM

Attachments

• 20100125 dsc_6575a.jpg
    20100125 dsc_6575a.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20091226 dsc_5671.jpg
    20091226 dsc_5671.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20091227 dsc_5678.jpg
    20091227 dsc_5678.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 104
Dainisk:

I have davits that look similar to yours. How did you secure them to the transom?* I'm sort of stumped at the moment.

Thanks

BaltimoreLurker:

The davit is secured to brackets that attach at the right angles to match the transom and coaming (the angles for each are just slightly different). There are two brackets, one which sits on the edge of the coaming and the lower one which sits flat against the transom.* Essentially, the davit pipework sits into a round socket welded to the brackets.* The brackets are through bolted to backing plates on the inside. I was fortunate that the fiberglass all around the transom is 3/16" to 1/4" thick.

The brackets/sockets allow the davits to swivel out of the way when not required.

I'll see if I can find my original drawings if you're interested.

-- Edited by dainisk on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 11:25:18 PM

Attachments

• 20091227 dsc_5676a.jpg
    20091227 dsc_5676a.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 20091226 dsc_5669b.jpg
    20091226 dsc_5669b.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 20091226 dsc_5671a.jpg
    20091226 dsc_5671a.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 115

Latest posts