https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/fourstroke/25-35-hp/

Discuss.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
On what? Big difference between 2.5 HP and 25HP. I have a dink that does fine with 2HP, my RIB needs 15 HP, so depends what you are trying to push.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
So I'm thinking 2.5hp, the max my dinghy is rated for. I'm really wondering of the Torqeedo live up to it's hype. The Mercury probably can't be beat for it's range, but not sure I want to carry petrol on board.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I'm selling my Honda 2.3 hp (I think that's what it is ) . It was just too awkward to operate from the aft seat and we kinda like not having any gas on board . It's just oar power for right now . But these little dinghies row pretty good .
Old 06-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Guru

I just finished reading the reviews on the WM website. The little Mercury is definitely out of the running.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
2 hp Honda....27 lbs, 20 years old, starts on one pull, runs like a champ and goes forever on ounces of fuel. Works for me!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Guru

This does look nice:

Honda BF2.3 Outboard Engine | 2 hp Portable Outboard Specs and Features
Old 06-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I have the little 2.3 Honda. Runs on the smell of gas, light weight with the only downside being it's a tad noisy being air cooled. I believe I paid right on a boat buck.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
I have the little 2.3 Honda. Runs on the smell of gas, light weight with the only downside being it's a tad noisy being air cooled. I believe I paid right on a boat buck.
The older ones were water cooled and pretty quiet. Not sure when they made the transition..probably when they went from the 2 to the 2.3...
Old 06-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
TF Site Team

Im trying to sell my Honda 2.3 for $ 350 or 650 with a walker bay 8 ft . Hope to sell it at our marina flea market this weekend .
Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Im trying to sell my Honda 2.3 for $ 350 or 650 with a walker bay 8 ft . Hope to sell it at our marina flea market this weekend .
That is a screaming deal.....Surprised you still have it!
Old 06-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I am a gasoline outboard guy.

You can easily carry enough gas for an hour's run at decent power which is more than the Torqueda can do. The Lehr seems like a bit of a gimmick to deal with ethanol in gas. I have pretty well figured out how to deal with that: Run the carburetor dry at the end of the day and if it does gum up, remove the carb and soak in a gallon of carb cleaner.

But it has to at least have a neutral which the Honda 2.3 does not. You have to go up to the 5 to get FNR and that weighs double. So there are no good solutions.

BTW the Lehr site noted in the first post shuts down Internet Explorer on my PC with Windows 8.1
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
That is a screaming deal.....Surprised you still have it!
I've only tried to sell it here on the forum .
Old 06-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -
Everybody has their own preferences. For us, we'd only have a petrol-powered outboard and the only make we'd get is Yamaha. Not because they're the world's best outboard-- Hondas are just as good-- but over the last 28 years we've had fabulous service from Yamaha outboards, 2-stroke and four-stroke-- and besides, we much prefer their color to Honda's.

Propane has advantages but range isn't one of them, and that happens to be something that's important to us.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #15
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
My vote is to suck it up and get a gasser. Nothing can touch the range and ease of refueling. Gasoline is not that hard to manage on the deck. I keep a good quality can partially full on the deck and try to keep it in the shade. Never had any trouble with it.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #16
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
You can say what you want about the two new kids on the block, but as Ski say's you just can't beat a gas outboard, at least not in my camp.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
I just finished reading the reviews on the WM website. The little Mercury is definitely out of the running.
So you trust your decisions to anonymous people you don't know on a small sample venue? Really?

Got this quote today: " Criticism is difficult to do well.

Recently, we've made it super easy for unpaid, untrained, amateur critics to speak up loudly and often.

Just because you can hear them doesn't mean that they know what they're talking about.

Criticism is easy to do, but rarely worth listening to, mostly because it's so easy to do."

Always bring a big bag of salt to any "crowd sourced", unaccountable information.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I'm with the gasser crowd and 2 stroke (for 8+ HP) while I'm at it. Just love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning. NOT a big deal to properly store gasoline and 2 stroke oil on board. Like everything else, handled and stored properly not really a safety issue any more than having one's main engines run on gasoline. We NEVER have gasoline anywhere inside either the cabins or lockers. Always on the FB or on deck in the open air and as Mr. Ski does or tries, in the shade.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
But it has to at least have a neutral which the Honda 2.3 does not. You have to go up to the 5 to get FNR and that weighs double. So there are no good solutions.
My Honda 2 HP has a centrifugal clutch. The prop is stopped at idle, then rotates as you give it gas. IMO, better than a neutral lever.

The other feature i like is the flip-over tiller with throttle. Once you get accustomed to it, it's a very simple and comfortable transition from fwd to reverse and back. Just make sure you're sitting on the stbd side. I watched a guy sitting on his port tube struggle with it for a while before I offered a suggestion of changing sides. He was pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
The older ones were water cooled and pretty quiet. Not sure when they made the transition..probably when they went from the 2 to the 2.3...
My Honda 2 is also air cooled and I agree....it's a bit noisy, even compared to my Merc 2-stroke 15HP. But it's so efficient, it runs for more than an hour on a quart of gasoline. My 2 gallon can gets me 4+ hrs of running time!

I love this little motor. Lightweight, reliable, simple to maintain, efficient and cheap! What more could you ask out of a 2HP motor?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #20
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

My Honda 2 HP has a centrifugal clutch. The prop is stopped at idle, then rotates as you give it gas. IMO, better than a neutral lever.

My Honda 2 is also air cooled and I agree....it's a bit noisy, even compared to my Merc 2-stroke 15HP. But it's so efficient, it runs for more than an hour on a quart of gasoline. My 2 gallon can gets me 4+ hrs of running time!

I love this little motor. Lightweight, reliable, simple to maintain, efficient and cheap! What more could you ask out of a 2HP motor?
Well caltexflanc would like it to be made by Mercury...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote