Old 06-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #41
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Marin, all of the Lehr engines can be run on larger tanks and in fact come with the hose to connect it. I use an 11 pound tank that is about the size of a 2,5 gallon gas can. The engine will run over ten hours at wide open throttle. Pull it back some and it'll run better than twenty hours.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:17 AM   #42
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
My Honda 2 HP has a centrifugal clutch. The prop is stopped at idle, then rotates as you give it gas. IMO, better than a neutral lever.
I did not know this and I agree, I like the concept!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:30 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I tried my Honda 2 hp out on both of the dinghies I have , a Walker Bay 8 ft and a Trinka 10 ft . Both of these are hard dinghies . Maybe it's just me but I could never find a comfortable position to steer from . On both dinghies the aft seat was to close to the throttle . I had to sit in the floor to steer .I loved the motor but I think it would work better on an inflatable where you can sit further forward on the tubes . I sold the motor last week . The Trinka rows nice . On a hard dinghy I think maybe a trolling motor or the Torqedo would work best because of shorter steering/ throttle . Or may be one of those old British Seagulls
.It was a bit of a freak show a couple of weeks ago when I put the Honda on the Walker Bay and tried it out . I won't go into detail but I took the motor off right away and decided to sell them separately .
Old 06-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
43 posts and we have not mentioned sizing the dinghy motor for the needed use. If you are always anchoring near the marina, dinghy dock or beach then a 2-3.5 hp outboard is sufficient, cheaper and easier to handle than a larger outboard.

If, however, you want/need to anchor further out than the smaller outboards become a problem.

In the Eastern Caribbean for security reasons some/many boaters want to put as much distance as possible between their anchored boats and the local villages. Usually the boats that are broken into are anchored nearer the beach/village.

Distance is fine but when you have a 1 mile, 1-1/2 mile dinghy ride with a 2.5 hp motor it is a long trip. I have a couple of sailboat friends who have small outboards and they are not beyond hitching a ride with me whenever they can.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #45
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
43 posts and we have not mentioned sizing the dinghy motor for the needed use.

Given OP's first post included candidates from 2.5 to 35-hp... post 25 was the best I could do.

-Chris
Old 06-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #46
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
2-3hp: Short distance service, calm conditions, will never plane. But super easy to handle and store.

8hp up: Will plane out, but motor too heavy to easily handle. Now must use davits, hoists, etc.

3-8hp: Sort of a dead zone. Can sorta plane, but not with a load and not fast enough to be dry. Motor still too heavy to easily handle.

I went with 2hp after my 4hp died. Happier with the 2hp. But it is limited in use. But handling is super easy.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #47
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
2-3hp: Short distance service, calm conditions, will never plane. But super easy to handle and store.

I went with 2hp after my 4hp died. Happier with the 2hp. But it is limited in use. But handling is super easy.
Same here...
My old 2 hp Honda is 20 years old now...One of the original watercooled units. Starts on one pull...gets me wherever I want to go!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #48
TF Site Team

What kind of motor are most of you seeing on 8' or 10' hard ( rowing ) dinghies ?
Old 06-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #49
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marty,
If it's a propper row boat it will be a FD boat and one can only use one or two hp so a 3 to 4hp engine is about it.

Some (many) think any boat under 13' is a "row boat". Straight bottom and flat stern "row boats" of this type can use more power .. say 3 to 8hp.

Re the amount of power most small outboards are quite to very noisy above 1/2 throttle. I often run 8hp on my 18' power canoe (small square stern) but most of the time at half throttle where the two stroke Yamaha is very quiet. A nice pleasant ride. But if I want to scoot it will go at least 12 and probably 14 knots. Definitely wind in the face canoeing. Two stroke outboards are very smooth and quiet below 1/2 throttle and well above idle where they 4 stroke (fire every other stroke).

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #50
TF Site Team

Maybe I should have added a tiller extension and sit in the center seat . Too late now I sold the motor .
Old 06-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
What kind of motor are most of you seeing on 8' or 10' hard ( rowing ) dinghies ?
We used that same 2hp above on our Bauer 10 back in our sailboat days. Worked great...

Old 06-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Maybe I should have added a tiller extension and sit in the center seat . Too late now I sold the motor .
LOL...Back when I was a kid (a long tiime ago), I had a 10 foot flat bottomed skiff with a 3hp Elgin. I made up a tiller extension so I could sit up in the bow and could actually get that sucker to plane!