Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte, Florida
Vessel Name: Reef Drifter
Vessel Model: 1983, 34 ft., Marine Trader
Dingy Dingy Dingy???

Hello All,
We are wondering what is the dingy of choice out there?* Inflatable Zodiac type*or hard hull whatever?* Do you tow the dingy or lift it up on board?* Does one tow better than another.* What do you guys use for a dingy motor?* I would think the lighter the better.*
reefdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Dingy Dingy Dingy???

The bigger the better, same goes with the outboard size. On my GB36 it came with a 8.5 inflatable with a 8hp motor, I had a 10'zodiac with a 9.9 already and the difference was huge, the small boat was squirrely and just too small. On the current boat we still have the old zodiac with a 3.5 tohatsu that was for the kids when they were young and the 9.9 was way too fast.... and they couldn't start it. Now they want to go faster and if it had a bigger motor I would use it more than our avon seated rib with a 40hp. The beach conditions where you cruise also dictate what kind of bottom the boat should have as dragging a soft inflatable up onto sharp rocks and shells if something you only typically do once, the hard bottom rib is great for this and much more stable anyway. Get the biggest one that will fit on your boat using the boom crane that you have. Also, regarding towing a dink, it never works very well ... it will always get in the way.... flip in high wind and seas..... get backed over.... if in doubt lift it out.. our mantra. We have the ability to carry both one on the back overhead and the big dinghy on the aft cabin carried athwart ship.

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 17th of March 2010 08:47:31 AM
Attached Thumbnails
6-1-06 014 - copy.jpg  
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Dingy Dingy Dingy???

11' hardshell "Puffin". Hanging on davits from the flybridge. This setup allows us full use of the swim platform and transom door. 3.5 Tohatsu.* I like to row when ever possible which rules out the inflatables.
Attached Thumbnails
s5001879.jpg   p1020925.jpg  
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Robert,
We purchased a new 11'8" RIB Avon a few years ago and I set up a Weaver Snap Davit system on the swimdeck. We have a hardtop but I was not ready to install a pipe davit. After installing the Weaver we were unable to pull that heavy SOB up out of the water. After that we keep it locked in to get everyone in the dink and then take off. I began to tow it with a 14' cheap tow rope that floats and I love it. With the correct length rope it can't get to your props. We just completed an almost 400 mile journey last weekend, including 6 miles up the Mississippi River, 5 locks and several times overtaking tows on the GIWW. Towing for me is the only way to go. I just primed and bottom painted the dink and plan to keep it in the water.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Guru

anybody else tow with success Rough water a problem?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
motion30 wrote:
anybody else tow with success Rough water a problem?
*We tow an 11' RIB with a 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha on about a 70' line. Been through some pretty choppy stuff. No problems (yet).
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
Guru

The reason I asked is that I lost a soft bottom and outboard while towing. It rolled over and pulled the d rings. The conditions were such that I could not go back for it and would have had no way to recover it. I recenty read on another site where a dingy was found at the same location, so I am thinkin this is not that uncommon. Maybe a RIB is a much better towing boat
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Dingy Dingy Dingy???

We have a small trawler and a small dinghy. Life raft would be a better word for it. I agree w Hollywood about size but if it's hard or unsafe or time consuming to launch you won't use the dinghy very often. I think upper deck and crane is best then stern davits and/or swim step mounts. Our next dinghy will be like Daddyo's. A good displacement rowboat or semi disp skiff for 5 to 8 hp. I question the utility, safety and need for a planing dinghy.

Oh I forgot to mention we met Dave from Puget sound WA in Petersburg AK w a 40 some foot TT that towed an 18' stitch and glue OB w a 40hp Yamadog on the stern. May have been a 25 but I think it was a 40. I asked him if he had trouble w it filling up w water and he said no. Some people do have success w towing but I don't recommend it having done it for a year.

Also I tried to tow a 14' tinny in the 70s and it would'nt go anywhere near straight. Towing seems to require or prefer the attach point to be low on the bow.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 30th of June 2011 06:04:29 PM

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 30th of June 2011 06:07:42 PM
Attached Thumbnails
sth71595.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #9

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34

This is a 10 ft Livingston cat style hull with a 9.8 Nissan. It is a very stable boat with lots of interior room and will plane at 20 mph with two adults. The mounting system allows it to stowed in minutes without removing the motor and launched just as easily. Plus it can be launched while docked if needed.*
Attached Thumbnails
img_0474.jpg  
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Laker,

That's a huge advantage w the square stern and the Livingston has been well proven over the years. I'd like to have a 12' Lund Aluminum. Wondering if it would work on davits w my 10'6" wide boat. Could put the overhanging and light bow of the tinny sticking out on the stbd side where we rarely tie. My 8hp Yamadog 2 stroke would easily plane 2 big guys in that boat. There are dozens and dozens of 16' Lunds here in Thorne Bay and a few 14s but no 12s.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #11

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34

nomadwilly,

You do have to be more careful maneuvering around docks and in locks with the setup I have.*If you get at an angle, the*tip of the boat and/or motor prop can catch on a pile or protrusion of some kind.*Despite that,*the dingy*is easy to carry, use and deploy, and this is important or*you will hardly ever use it.*
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC

We use a Mercury 10' airdeck w/Honda 5hp. I'd like a bit more power, & maybe a smoother engine; ie less vibration. We towed it for awhile, which was OK most of the time, but was always on my mind while manuvering or if the weather kicked up. backing into a slip was a pain, etc. Finally ended up using Weaver snap davits on the swim platform. Has worked well for over 4000 miles. We use a St. Croix Jr crane to mount & demount the motor. On & off in 10 minutes or so, & boat stays put while we board. Works well for us. If we need the swim platform for guests, etc; just drop the dink & tie off to one side.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Dingy Dingy Dingy???

Quote:
Great Laker wrote:
the dingy*is easy to carry, use and deploy, and this is important or*you will hardly ever use it.*

I have to concur with Great Laker on that point. *If you're going to use your dinghy often, make it a convenient set-up cuz exploring anchorages for a couple of hours could be cut by a half-hour de-mounting and re-mounting, to which one often says: "It isn't worth the trouble" when there's only an hour left. *Before you know it, you're missing social get togethers, invitations to others boats, and generally not doing what you went cruising for to begin with. *I've got davits and a boat deck, but I'll be adding a swim platform and modifying my transom door to make the experience as simple, safe and trouble-free as I can to respond to the slightest impulse. *

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 28th of February 2012 10:28:52 AM
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #14

Dingy Dingy Dingy???

We have a 11.5 West Marine/ Zodiac RIB with a 25hp Mercury, combined weight of about 310lbs. it's a open boat no console or seat to get in the way or step over. 18 in. tubes so it's deep, comfortable to sit in without your knees higher than your hips. we carry it on the swim platform with a Seawise Davit system. Due to the weight we had to reenforce the teak step. It's double hull and has a bow locker/ step, forward where i carry a 12lb mushroom anchor for keeping the boat off the beach. We go ashore a lot for picnics and beach combing. We carry it until we reach the first anchorage then tow it from there. This boat tows very well in any conditions we have been in around the San Juan Islands and there seems to always be some condition to consider. The dink is a little big for our Hershine 37 when carried but it is well worth it in my opinion, it's very seaworthy, carries four adults easily, I'm not restricted to staying close to the big boat if I want to take the crab pot way over there( because that's where they are). I love the slow cruise of Lilli Belle, there is always things to see, but once I'm in the dink I can go fast when the water is smooth and be safe when it's not. If I could just figure out how to carry my 8ft. sailing dinghy I'd have it all !

-- Edited by Slowboat 37 on Sunday 18th of March 2012 03:12:33 PM

-- Edited by Slowboat 37 on Sunday 18th of March 2012 03:14:12 PM
Attached Thumbnails
dscn0016 (800x600) (2).jpg   dscn0018 (640x480).jpg   dscn0019 (640x480).jpg  
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: -
Dingy Dingy Dingy???

Quote:
reefdrifter wrote:We are wondering what is the dingy of choice out there?
*Two year old question but since it seems to have been revived....

Our dinghy requirements are:

1. Hardshell (I don't believe in boats with a finiite life to their hulls or that require holding air pressure to be usable)

2. Good floatation.

3.* Good freeboard even with a full load.

4.* Good performance in rough-ish water.

5.* Relatively fast.

6.* Well made.

7.* Easily deployed into the water, either by already being in it (towed) or easlly and quickly launched (swimstep or davit mounted--- no cabin top or boat deck mounting).

8.* Right-sized for our boat.

9.* Beachable on all types of shores--- sand, rocks, barnacles--- wth no damage.

Add all that up and I only come up with one dinghy that meets all these requirements to a "T" and that's the Bullfrog.** We don't have one and our current shoreboat (Livingston) meets some but not all of our requirements.* So someday a Bullfrog will be at the top of our to-do list.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 03:30:36 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Add all that up and I only come up with one dinghy that meets all these requirements to a "T" and that's the Bullfrog.** We don't have one and our current shoreboat (Livingston) meets some but not all of our requirements.* So someday a Bullfrog will be at the top of our to-do list.
Could not agree more.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA

Our current dingy is an Achilles 8'6" hypalon with a 2hp 4 stroke Honda.* We tow it with a towing bridle from West Marine.* It is kept close to the boat and no extra line is let out to take it back past the first wake etc.* We hardly*leave a wake with our Willard.* It does get some exhaust on it that needs to be cleaned, but the bridle is short enough and has a float on it so it does not get wrapped around the prop.* We also store it on the flybridge or the bow when we feel the need.* We have crossed the Strait of Georgia in 5' seas and 15 knot winds*with no issues towing the dinghy.* Not our usual time to cross but sometimes the winds do come up on that stretch of water and you have no choice.

Previously we towed an 8' Walker Bay behind our other boat, an Albin 25.* We managed to wrap our prop on two different occassions.* Tried to follow the recommended towing distance, used "floating Polyproplene" line and it got sucked under.* NOT FUN!* It was all operator/crew error that allowed that to happen, but it made us rethink our choices.* The Walker Bay felt like a death trap to us, wobbly and unstable for our needs.

We sold the Walker Bay and bought the Achilles.* Now, if we can sell our Albin................................we can spend more money on our next boat. ;-)

Keith Olive

1977 Willard 30/4

LaConner, WA
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Add all that up and I only come up with one dinghy that meets all these requirements to a "T" and that's the Bullfrog.*

*I gotta Tahotsu on my dink, but it hasn't croaked yet!
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Dingy Dingy Dingy???

Bulfrogs may be practical but they are fugly.

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1093206&aBID=115492[/img]

-- Edited by dwhatty on Sunday 4th of March 2012 03:44:46 PM
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #20
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
Bulfrogs may be practical but they are fugly.
* * * ** Yeh, I have to admit...they are the SARCAS of the dinghy world.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote