Old 10-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #1

dinghys

Where is the dinghy section?*I am sure a few more people that* have dinghys with questions or topics. Who knows we might find some other people that have RIBs set up to run 35 MPH.

troy994719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #2

dinghys

speaking of dinghys, has anyone added one of those after-market fins or half tunnels to their dinghy motor? are they any use at all?

elmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #3

RE: dinghys

yes
they will help you get on plane faster or with a heavy load but they do produce more drag and slow you down a little.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #4

dinghys

so not really much use for top-end speed?
elmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #5

the only thing it has improved for me is getting on plane, i have used GPS with and without a fin and the fin slowed me down 1-2 mph
Old 10-10-2007, 04:38 AM   #6

dinghys

We presently have an Apex Rib with a 5hp Honda for the upcoming delivery of new boat. We have had this for 10yrs, and not used for the past 6 ( hanging in basement ) waiting for proper use. Everything in great shape, but are going to look at Ribs and dinks that have a complete steering system at boat show tomorrow.
Anyone use this type ( center console with wheel ) type, and I need to stay under 850lb. for davit. I'm not that interested about going fast, just point A to B.
Thanks
Dusty Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
Doc
Guru

dinghys

My 9.5' AB RIB with a 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke with one person aboard will almost do a back flip if you goose it without the Dole Fin. With it, it comes up on plane in an almost level fashion and flies. I have never noticed any reduction of top end speed.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

I have had a 10' Bullfrog for the last three years. I love the boat. It's virtually indestructable. Aluminum Hull, Hard Polyethelene tubes. The manufacturer convinced me to install fins on my 15hp Honda to speed the planing process. It really does help. As to speed loss, I imagine there is some. I also had a custom eleven gallon seat/fuel tank installed in the forward position. That also aids in the planing process having the extra weight, as well as getting the tank out of the way.

-- Edited by Carey at 11:29, 2007-10-10
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Whimsy
Vessel Model: Camano 31

I'm with Carey on the Bullfrog. We replaced our Avon w/ one of the 11.5' Yacht Tenders. It catches fish, crabs and prawns - the blood and guts wash off, it is stable when hauling pots, tows easily, can be beached on shells and rocks, we love it! But it is heavy and causes a noticeable list when hauling to the upper deck of our Krogen. You'll need a good davit system.
CamanoFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
Doc wrote:

My 9.5' AB RIB with a 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke with one person aboard will almost do a back flip if you goose it without the Dole Fin. With it, it comes up on plane in an almost level fashion and flies. I have never noticed any reduction of top end speed.
Doc, I have the exact same dinghy with a 15hp Merc.* I agree.* The fin is a basic necessity.* The first time I put my dinghy in the water I was very disappointed because it was soooo o squirrelly.* I put a fin on it and it is tame and level and rides quite nicely.* I highly recommend a fin to anyone who is having problems getting on plane in a stable fashion.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
Guru

Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

FYI - Anyone considering an aluminum dinghy such as Duroboat, and intending to hang it on stern davits or swim step, would be advised to determine the alloy of aluminum used on that boat. Many manufacturers use 5052 alloy as it is cheaper and more bendable, but it is also much more prone to disintegration when exposed to a combination of salt water and diesel exhaust combined. The acidic nature of this combination ate the bottom out of my Duroboat in two years when hung upright about three feet above the exhaust. It took me several months to convince Duroboat's owner that they were responsible since they had advertised it as a tender. Always choose 6086 as the preferred marine alloy. My current Bullfrog has 6086, and three years shows no signs of trouble.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

My oldest son bought us*a 12 ft livingston, center consol, 25 house with a 4 hp kicker on a treailer for father day.* Its a very stable durable boat with good capacity.* The summer I polished/varnish the Eagle standin on the gunnel with very little tipping.* Great dink for running around and tough enough to beach.

We also have a 12 ft sailing dink that the grand children have beat/used for 12 years and a 19 ft run about with 140 ho Merc*that we have had for 38 years and still going strong that we tow.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Here is the 15ft aluminum dink w/25 hp. Planes easily with many full grown guys and also rows nicely by oar.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #14

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Willard 30 Vega Nomad

Per CAREY:
<q>Always choose 6086 as the preferred marine alloy.</q>
I think you mean 5086 -- there is no 6086 alloy.* 5086 is the best marine grade alloy for corrosion resistance, although 6061 is also good and is commonly used for extruded members.
Sunshine Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: White Star
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove
dinghys

We have one of those dinghys set up to run at 35 MPH. It is a Caribe 12' with a Honda 40 HP. We had some problems with bow lift and getting it on plane but after installing a horizontal fin on the engine, that problem was solved. It was also much cheaper then "smart tabs".

We also can anchor out in further locations and still visit various marina with little or no cost.
Plus it's fun to run around in.

Dave
wingspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #16

City: Full time cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Californian 50' Cockpit M/V

Because of the info I got here I just put a Davis Hydrofoil on our 9.6 Caribe. It has a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Wow, what a difference. It gets up on plane almost immediately, it is not squirly at high speeds, and the thing my wife really likes, it doesn't porpoise like it used to in the least amout of chop. I had recently checked my top speed with my hand held GPS and like others mentioned I lost a couple of MPH at top end from 25-26 to 23-24.
Not a big deal at all compared to the other benefits.

Thanks guys!!
Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Doug has an AB310 with a Nissan 25hp. In his endless quest for more speed(I believe he is trying to compensate for a shortcoming elsewhere), he refuses to put a fin on his motor saying it will add drag and loss of speed. I have seen him almost die many times due to squirrelyness at high speeds...
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #18

City: Saint Petersburg, Fl.
Vessel Name: LUV'N LIFE
Vessel Model: 47 Atlantic

***** We have a 12' Caribe RIB, 30HP Honda, center console.* It has internal fuel tank, nav lites, bildge pump, power tilt & trim, bimini top, horn, and full guages including trim, speed and fuel quantity.* It is a mini boat that is Dol Fin equiped and is capable of 30MPH.* Weights in at under 400lbs and is a blast to opperate.
LUVN LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #19

Anyone care to comment about beaching fiberglass bottomed RIBs? My previous RIB had an aluminum bottom and stood up to my abuse very well.

The RIB in question is a 11.6 Caribe.
pappy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #20

City: Full time cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Californian 50' Cockpit M/V

I have a 9.6 Caribe I have beached it a lot in soft sand etc. But would not do so in coral or a rocky area. The bottom fiberglass is less that 1/8" thick. I was going to fix a small crack in mine one time. I started to dish grind the crack in prep for fiberglass and was instantly through the bottom. Totally surprised in how thin the material was. As part of the job I added another layer of glass with epoxy down the center about 3" on either side of the "v" to give it a little more thickness.

In an area with a rough or unknown bottom I generally stop in about a foot of water, get out and put down the anchor with a short rode. We keep water shoes in the dink just for this situation.

Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote