Old 12-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: dinghys

Jim, I am willing to bet they just screwed up on during the layup of your boat. I store my AB up on a dinghy dock and I HIT it at about 5mph every time I go up on it. I would think I would have beaten it to pieces by now if it was paper thin. ANyway, We all know fiberglass layup is far from perfect....especially as it applies to dinghies.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

John, I'm interested to read that you store your RIB on a dinghy dock. Is that one of those floating pontoons? You keep it right alongside Flyin' Low? Thenm what do you do? Tow it?

I've just*bought the 10' AB with alu hull and plan to pick up a 15hp 2-stroke Merc this weekend. Still figuring out what to do with regards to davits but am pretty much decided I will get the removable St. Croix davits. In the meantime, I will learn to carefully*tow the RIB and will store it in a local boat yard.

Always keen to hear how other people do it.

cheers,
Mark

boogiediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #23
TF Site Team

Mark, that is a great question. We used to have a slow boat and we would tow it. But when we got this boat, we were hesitant to tow it at 15kts so we just didn't bring it on the first few trips since all of our friends are dinghy freaks and the dinghy ratio was damn near 1 to 1. Anyway, I got sick of not having my dinghy so I was gonna tow it dammit. As long as you get it centered on the wake and far enough back, it does just fine. Far enough back is about 60ft....on the backside of the bow wave hump and in between the next hump.....if that makes any sense. We have towed it like this in very choppy conditions and it seems to do just fine. I always keep a close eye on it but as long as none of the motions are "irregular" it takes to the rhythm of things. One motion that would be considered "irregular" would be a big wake from a passing boat....anything that upsets the mothership mmight upset the tender. Other than that, no regrets.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks John. I will be towing for the first time tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Here in HK, I am forever surrounded, overtaken and cut up by Azimuts, Sunseekers and other fast, big boats and their obnoxiously big wakes... Aaarrrggh! So I will need to be extra careful. I drive very defensively anyway because my 34' hull doesn't take kindly to big wakes coming in from the beam or behind, so what I do for the big boat will be good for the little boat too.

Turns out that the cheapest way to get my new davits from the US is by Fedex (Hmmm?), which means I might have some removable davits fitted and operational sooner than I had expected. I don't plan to tow for more than the next few weekends. Let's hope the davits turn out to be everything I expect them to be.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

BD,
I installed a Weaver snap davit system several months back. I went with the arch on the transom. We have a Zodiac 340, weight about 170 #'s!!. This thing is so hard to tip up that we tended to leave it down. The davits make installation of the motor easy. After once or twice towing her at about 12' back I was hooked. I keep the engine on- tipped up while towing. When backing out of the slip I pull the dink up tight with the extra tow line attached to the SP boarding ladder. I just use a West Marine Velcro strap till we are heading out. When docking I do nothing. No problems in 6 months.
Steve
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #26
TF Site Team

Boogie, how did it go???* Here is a pic of my dink on Galveston Bay doing about 15kts.* Dunno if you can tell but the wind is about 20kts and pretty damn choppy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dink (1824 x 1368).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	989  
Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #27
Veteran Member

dinghys

My first attempt at towing went well. At higher speeds (say 10-13 kts) the RIB was evidently on the downslope of the first (second?)*hump (which wasn't even that big) so I think I need to lengthen the tow line by about 20 feet. The RIB remained unruffled at all times, but conditions where only slightly choppy and poor weather kept the big wake-makers at home.

Single-handedly managing the RIB in close quarters needed some planning, but will no doubt get easier with practice. Whilst maneouvring out of the mooring and out of the marina, I had the RIB tied alongside Beluga*with*the RIB's*bow line attached to my midships cleat, and a stern line up to my aft quarter cleat. All worked fine.

Coming back into the marina at the end of the day, I*figured I'd just tow the RIB in normally*but with a much shortened line. That worked perfectly, and the wife didn't even need to fend off the RIB when I got into my mooring.

So, like Steve, I suspect I could get used to this very easily. Nevertheless, I look forward to installing and using the removeable davits when they arrive. Will keep you posted!

Here's a photo (taken with cellphone on a dull, damp day)

-- Edited by boogiediver at 08:03, 2009-03-11
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new rib.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	991   Click image for larger version

Name:	towing new rib.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	992  
Old 03-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #28
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Mark, I see you took part of the advise and bought a 2 stroke 15hp and horizontal davits taking the weight off the tubes.* Watch the flexing of the transom with the dink full.** The majority of the leaks are way back by the transom that you can not repair with out taking the tube off.* You might still think about buying a small light weight engine for those occasions you just want to putz.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks Phil. Yes I did. I know you're not mad about RIBs, but this one really suits my purpose well (I think) and I had in any case put my money down! The engine was a tougher decision but 2-stroke did indeed seem the way to go for now. Especially because I wanted a big more kick in a smaller/lighter package.

Experience last weekend shows that a heavier engine would have made it EVEN more difficult to back the RIB off the beach! How to people deal with that? Roll the RIB up and down the beach on blow-up sausages?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #30
TF Site Team

Great to hear it went well. I have the EXACT same dinghy as you(except mine is glass...not Al)
Old 05-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #31
Veteran Member

At last I have some pikkies of my St. Croix removable davits as have recently been fitted to my transom. When the davits are under load, the transom wall is under compression and the reinforcing bar (see photo inside transom) is under tension - if I remember my high school physics correctly. I see no noticeable movement of the davit head when lifting the heavy aft end of the RIB, so flexing in the transom must be minimal which is a relief. Generally, it all works really well.

One irritation is that I have not yet found a way to stow the RIB on the davits with the O/B motor tipped forward. By leaving the O/B upright, I imagine there is unwanted long-term strain on the transom of the RIB. Does that sound right? Also, there is only so much clearance under the O/B prop, which means that the bottom end of the O/B occasionally gets hit by waves whilst the big boat is underway. It seems to happen only very occasionally. Is that a problem? (the RIB is well strapped so there is practically no movement even when the O/B does get struck by waves). Any proposed solutions short of raising the davits (which would reduce their lifting capacity and look ugly)?

For now I continue to keep the RIB in a dry store, so I tow it for shorter outings and hoist it up on the davits for longer cruises. In time I plan to leave it hanging from the davits permanently, but I first need to get comfortable with that idea and get a cover made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mch_4792.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1067   Click image for larger version

Name:	mch_4793.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1068   Click image for larger version

Name:	mch_4797.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1069   Click image for larger version

Name:	mch_4806.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1070   Click image for larger version

Name:	mch_4808.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1071  

Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #32
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Mark: That "inside transom" photo answers all the questions I had. Really nice job! Incidentally, There are plenty of guys that leave their tenders hanging from the St. Croixs in my marina but the inside hardware is not as good as yours. Although I can't guarantee that leaving the motor hanging won't hurt the dinghy's transom, I certainly wouldn't think so. I'm saving your "installation" for future reference.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote